GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My father and I both had our wheels powder coated recently.

On his 2007 Silver he went with a color that matched the paint and did one solid color for the whole wheel.

On my Pearl White 2008, I had the wheels and valve covers done in white, and the wheels got black insets done as well.

Enjoy.....

His 2007

·
Registered
858 Posts
Looks great! I am looking towards powder coating my wheels and getting away from all the polishing, etc.

·
Registered
88 Posts
i am going to powder coat magenta bike have not decided on the color yet [gold black or magenta]:coffee1:

·
Registered
506 Posts
I like it, alot!

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Both are sweet lookin rides, until you turn on those led's. Ruins it for me! JMHO.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Cost?

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
single color was around $130 / wheel. The dual color ran me around $185 / wheel. Still WAAAAAY cheaper than chrome. And --- for now -- I know that there is only one other bike with these wheels (black bike, white stripe). The valve covers can be purchased in painted colors that match the factory paint, but this was cheaper and easier for me to have them done in powder coat while I was have the wheels done.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
the whitw look's so good....:thumbup:

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
They look nice, question though, if the bone heads chip or scratch them when installing or removing your tires, will they start to peel because of the broken spot?

·
Registered
801 Posts
I'd love to have those wheels on my Pearl White.

·
Registered
328 Posts
BSeery

Who did the work for you. I am very interested in getting mine done. Tired of the cleaning and polishing.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
BSeery

Who did the work for you. I am very interested in getting mine done. Tired of the cleaning and polishing.
It was a powder coating shop out of Columbia, TN.

Most any GOOD powder coating shop can do the wheels for you. Just get local recommendations and go to the shop to see their other work.

Chip and peel -- shouldn't. It is MUCH stronger than paint.
In the past I had a bunch of engine parts for my Corvette powder coated. I forgot to take one support bracket to the shop and just spay painted it to match. With in 1 year the spray painted bracket was already showing chips and none of the other parts (including the valve cover I dropped a 1/2 drive ratchet on) showed any signs of peeling or pitting. Just take the wheels to a shop that says they will not hurt them. If the shop won't stand behind their work in R&R the tire without damage to the rim, then go somewhere else.

I don't know the exact name of the color silver used. The pearl white was called "Argento 301". It's not an EXACT match like paint, but as you can see, it's pretty damn close and most people can't tell the difference.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Very sweet looking

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
It was a powder coating shop out of Columbia, TN.

Most any GOOD powder coating shop can do the wheels for you. Just get local recommendations and go to the shop to see their other work.

Chip and peel -- shouldn't. It is MUCH stronger than paint.
In the past I had a bunch of engine parts for my Corvette powder coated. I forgot to take one support bracket to the shop and just spay painted it to match. With in 1 year the spray painted bracket was already showing chips and none of the other parts (including the valve cover I dropped a 1/2 drive ratchet on) showed any signs of peeling or pitting. Just take the wheels to a shop that says they will not hurt them. If the shop won't stand behind their work in R&R the tire without damage to the rim, then go somewhere else.

I don't know the exact name of the color silver used. The pearl white was called "Argento 301". It's not an EXACT match like paint, but as you can see, it's pretty damn close and most people can't tell the difference.
I'm not trying to start a fight, but I'm curious, what do you think a fair price would be for a shop to charge and guarantee re coating the wheel if some of the powder coating did chip off? Modern tire changing machines are advertised to be touchless, but in reality the plastic rubbing block on the mounting arm has to touch the wheel and if there is any weak spot in the coating or chrome, no matter how careful the mechanic is, a chip may pop off.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts