GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Piggy Backer Break and Turn Add On

I have had these LED Bars for a year and have been wanting to add them to the rear of the Piggy. I finely got around to doing it a couple of weeks ago. I got the LEDs from JC Whitney last year, and had one on my GL1200 under the trunk box as a break light. They are 50 LED Light Bars and are very bright. when I was testing how and where I was going to mount them I used straight pins to get the power through the wires, ( an old trick I learned way back when ) I soon discovered ( actually Remembered ) that the Break and Turn are on the same circuit with the standard 4 wire connection. I had to extend the wires from the Right LED to go to the other side of the trailer to the Right light. After testing, all was well.

LED Light Bar from JC Whitney.
http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Item ... 0000169054

I used masking tape across the back of the Piggy lid to mark and drill the mounting. I used tooth pics in the mounting holes on the back of LEDs and pressed them against the tape to mark. Then for the mounting screws I used #8 X 1/2 with a thin washer inside. When I mounted them I put a bead of clear Silicone on the back of the lights. Silicone is a really good glue, for this type of thing. You will have to be careful using a longer screw to not get into the LED Circuit board.

I used a wiring lume that I had 1/4 in split plastic type, but you can use clear tubing and split it as well. I used silicone to glue the wire to the lid and a small loop at the hinge. A small 3/16 in hole at the base of the bottom and silicone it up as well. Tie in the wiring and its finished. I pulled the wiring out of the frame about 6 or 8 in to make the connections, I also took the frame plug off the back to help in stuffing the wires back into the frame gently.

Left Turn

Right Turn

Brake

Inside Piggy Lid LED Mounting and wiring location.

I was told that there was NO Mistaking when I was Turning or on the Brakes, even in the rain.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
George,
your a HELLAVAMAN :lol: :lol:
your Piggy looks better than some of those high end jobbers :roll: :lol:
nice look, we''ll do some mods to ours over the W%#%^er, I hate saying that word :roll: :roll:
have fun, be cool...

Pat G

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
George
ran into a friend @ a run today, we dicussed the Piggy Back trailers.
He said he ran into a guy @ the Americade who owned a Piggy.
My buddy claims that the piggy was loaded with water :!: :roll:
I noticed in your post & pics that the ground was wet when the photos where taken.
have you experienced any leaks?

thanks
Pat

·
Registered
8,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BASSNMAN said:
George
ran into a friend @ a run today, we dicussed the Piggy Back trailers.
He said he ran into a guy @ the Americade who owned a Piggy.
My buddy claims that the piggy was loaded with water :!: :roll:
I noticed in your post & pics that the ground was wet when the photos where taken.
have you experienced any leaks?

thanks
Pat
Not a Drop!!

I did add a real thin WX Seal from Ace or some where like that. I think 3/4 X 1/4 cant remember. I put that on after several trips and a few rain runs also with out any water getting inside. His may have had a loose bolt to the body attachment. I saw a slight potential for that to be a leak and silicone them before tightening.

If you look at the 4th and 5th down you can see the WX strip that I put on. You will also see some chaffing at the corner, and that was the main reason for the foam on the lid it tightened it up and now the chafing has stopped, and I am sure it also helps keep any water out but I wasn't getting any before.

Here is a couple of shots that I took coming home last Monday.

And of course Over Packing the Piggy. Here I am waiting for the wife to bring out the rest of the camping gear and cloths....

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
George
I have some rubber smoke seal that we use around doors, self adhesive,vinyl bulb 1/4" thick,should work.
Apparently this guy had leaks on the bottom of the tub, maybe at the hold down bolts, or a loose bolt? don't know, that was the 1st report I have had on water problems :roll:
Met people from all over the country who own PB & no complaints re water?
I'll do a water test before we leave @ the end of the month.

thanks

Pat

·
Registered
664 Posts
KJ5IX said:
Bump after all this time for Harry.

THANKS George :mrgreen: :mrgreen: , I REALLY appreciate it and it will help... :D :flg: :D

We are planning a trip in July going out to northern Calif. from North West Arkansas. Ususally, we sent clothes to our main destination and sent them back at the end of the stay. This way we can take it all with us and buy some more!!!! :shock:

·
Registered
906 Posts
dalph07. Be prepared for the heat in Northern CA. Here in Redding, CA in July it can be 110+, much nicer on the coast on the PCH. It was 90* at 10:00 pm tonight.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Hey Joe, :shock:
Thanks for the infomation. :D We are going to Lake Tahoe first and then north up to Crater Lake. From there it is west to the coast and Erueka. Visiting my childhood town of Ukiah and then west again to Hwy 1 and down the coast to San Francisco. After a couple of days checking out "the streets of San Francisco" east to Yo-cemity( :shock: ) and over to Bishop. From there it gets warm! We were originally thinking of Death Vally but since deciding to go in July, I've talked my wife into NOT going there in that time of the year! Las Vegas (still hot), the Grand Canyon, Meteor Crater and then a straight shot to Arkansas!

Thanks for the information. Any updates are greatly appreciated.

George, we had one problem with the wiring on the Piggy Backer! :oops: One of the ground wires on the left tail/turnsignal/break light would not work! I used your GREAT idea of using a sewing needle to check the wiring to see if it was hot at different areas on the trailer. I started under the center of the PB'er where the wiring goes into the tounge. Got a reading. Checked at the tail light and no reading! Checked a few inches back and got a hot reading! I thought it might be a broken wire on the hot side that is why I checked a few inches back and lo(!!! :shock: !!!!), I got a reading! I finally decided that the ground wire was not getting a good connection on the bolt that was holding on the left light assembly, yea, by accident. I ended up putting a washer on the bolt, the ground wire and then the nut and it worked! That was the only glitch I've had with the trailer. One part that is really stiff is the "J" bolt that holds the stand up or down. I'm using a rubber mallet to smack it to get the bolt to move out or to get it to go in to the hole to hold the stand stationary!

The trailer pulls real nice. I've ordered the bar LED lights and will put them on before the trip.

Thanks George

:) Harry :flg:

·
Registered
664 Posts
:twisted: I couldn't resist showing my set up!

Trailer lights brakes

Trailer lights right turn signal

Trailer lights left trun signal

Trailer next to Gold Wing:

:flg: We are ready to do our traveling! :D :D

Thanks again Geroge.
Code:

·
Registered
8,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Pug said:
Hey George, you forgot a pic!

Thanks for the write-up and images. Great help!

I see that you know my SO, and apparently fairly well!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I had to get a Time Out to go camping with, so I could pull the Piggy behind it with her stuff :shock:

·
Registered
664 Posts
Hey George,

I didn't see the microwave or coffee maker! :shock: :D
Plus a Time Out? George, that is a caravan that I'd like to see a picture of :D

Did you do the pin stripping yourself? It looks really good. Hum-m-m-m! :roll:

Harry :flg: :mrgreen:

·
Registered
8,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
dalph07 said:
Hey George,

I didn't see the microwave or coffee maker! :shock: :D
Plus a Time Out? George, that is a caravan that I'd like to see a picture of :D

Did you do the pin stripping yourself? It looks really good. Hum-m-m-m! :roll:

Harry :flg: :mrgreen:
Oh the Coffee Pot is there Trust me on that 8)

The pin stripping is the tape that can be found at any Auto Parts Store,,It is the Silver on Black double strip. Just clean the surface real good with dish washing soap, and then the area the tape will go with rubbing alcohol, and put it on. Not hard at all. Let your creative juices flow!! :wink: :lol: :lol:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts