GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a swivel hitch for my Piggy Backer trailer. I have a Aspen Sentry camper that has a swivel hitch and the difference between swivel and no-swivel is night & day. At least for me it is. Anyhow...
Most swivel hitches are in the 150$ range and the piggy backer models are closer to 180$ as the piggy has a 2in x 2 1/2in tongue rather than the typical 2in x 2in. Being very frugal (my wife says CHEAP!) I did not want to come off nearly 200 $ for a hitch...ouch! So I did some searching and found this site:
http://www.neoshotrailers.com/options.html
Scroll down the page to get to the swivel hitch. As stated in the description "Comes with a nylon block that slides inside 2x2 tongue. Drill & bolt on."
Now this is a bit misleading, only for the unknowing. The actual swivel portion of the hitch is made of high strength steel only the block that makes up the difference is made of nylon. The nylon block/spacer is a peice of 2in x 2in white nylon, similar looking to a block of white cutting board. It has a hole drilled lengthwise about 1 1/2in diameter to accept the actual swivel portion. The swivel portion is made of steel. On the higher priced hitches this block/spacer portion is made of steel. So from an engineering stand point the nylon block is akin to "bait blocks" just to fill space and does not attribute to added or lesser strength in the functionality or pulling of the trailer swivel. Maybe that made some sense.

Since the piggy's 2in x 2 1/2in tongue was larger than the 2in x 2in nylon block, I had to add more "bait". I got a piece of 2in x 1/8in flat alum and cut two pieces about 6in long and put one on each side of the swivel. This makes it snug inside the tongue but not tight. In fact a piece of 1 3/4in wide alum will work as I had to cut a bit to get it to fit. The tongue measurements are from the outside diameter.

The bolts in the original hitch are 3/8in so drill the hitch holes about 1/16in larger so the bolts will fit in without issue. Using a drill press is the way to go as it will drill a straight hole (use a pilot "smaller" hole first). Remember to dry fit the hitch and the extra bait in the tongue and mark the holes. Don't just eyeball it.

Overall, the nylon swivel hitch functions the same as the higher priced hitches. With some creative engineering this hitch works great for the piggy. On standard 2 x 2 tongues this hitch will also work great. I got the standard one which comes painted silver and the chains are welded to the hitch.....whooo hoooo! an added bonus.

After 300 or so miles I can say that I wish I would have added the swivel a long time ago. Now I do not get that "pushing" feeling when slow speed maneuvering with the piggy in tow. Total cost with shipping was less than 82$. It took me a couple hours to get this installed.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Big difference in swivel couplers

There is a big difference in the two swivel couplers that you have. The one on your Aspen is a Black Tie sold by www.trailmasterinc and is the best one on the market. The bearings are pressed into a machined block of aluminum and should last for years without any problems. The nylon tends to get loose after a couple of seasons.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep I had thought about that. But the nylon block will have to wear significantly to have any effect, especially the way I have it "baited on each side" Time will tell.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts