GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planning a trip to Alaska and I have a piggy backer trailer. It has independent torsion suspension but no shocks.
I have pulled it maybe 30k miles in the lower 48 with no problem. I am worried about the rough roads and no shocks.
What about a swivel hitch. Has anyone pulled a piggy backer to Alaska?
Would love to hear your about your experience and trouble if any.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I've been to Alaska twice in the last few years.....once with a trailer and once without.
Don't worry about your trailer. The roads up there and on the way are fine. There is one stretch just before the Alaska border on the Alcan that has the famous frost heaves. If you slow down to 45mph through that stretch your bike and trailer will be fine.

Enjoy your trip !

Kurt

·
Registered
236 Posts
Kurt, thanks for all your posted info on AK. planning trip this summer pulling Mini-Mate with mt. bike, art supplies and golf shoes in tow! It has torsion bar suspension. Has traveled behind three Wings and three small cars over 150,000 miles...it will flip on a rough jeep road! Installing zippered mosquito netting to its awning and the same $14. mesh door by camper entrance. Did Newfoundland last summer and some potholes the size of my living room and some considerable frost heaves in places on northern peninsula. Trailer and motorcycle were fine at reduced speeds here but the unmarked 5-6" exposed concrete bridge pad put a cut across front tire that I only found last week. I did pull over to check it when it happened but didn't see then. Lifted it with screwdriver and checked depth, still some distance to cords, will be replacing both tires in ID on way north. Also starting with new rubber on trailer. May consider a dash to the Arctic circle if weather permits. Thanks again for all the useful info about roads, parts, places. Oh, Redryder..watch for too much air in trailer tires, it can get bouncy if they are too hard. 17-27 lbs. according to load in trailer and wet driveway tread test or chalk line test shows if contact patch is even.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Good luck on your trip and give us an update when you get back !

Kurt

1 - 4 of 4 Posts