Discussion Starter #1
WHERE IS OUR THREAD :roll: :roll: :evil: :?:
WHY DID IT DISAPEAR :?:

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
George
to answer your question re: BEARING BUDDIES.
Tom from the "PIGGY PEN" did email me w/ the correct part #.
No one locally carries this size 2.047" all the parts stores carry the 1.98"
which is a standard.
Strange how they use an oversized bearing for such a small trailer :?:
Works for me :wink:

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
Thanks I will look to see if I can find one around here, may have to do the same thing order a set. Let me know how they work, and if they fit under the caps.

It is strange how the thread disappeared though. I noticed that there were 9738 views of the other thread, WOW that's a lot.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Bearing Buddies were introduced on marine trailers because of the frequent immersion in salt water. It is my opinion that these Buddies are of no use for our application. Has anyone ever thought of what happens to the grease after many compressions? All it's doing is pushing the grease past the bearings (not through them), out through the inner seal and onto the rim. This is not the correct way to pack bearings. Only complete disassembly by removing the wheel hub and packing the bearings with grease in the palm of your hand will achieve this and all it'll cost you is the two inner seals that will be disturbed. You already have the grease! I just thought I'd help!

Mike

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
George
I installed the bearing buddies, although I do not have the chrome caps on.
they are in the loft of my garage, I never did use the lug covers or the chrome hub caps :oops:
filled em w/ marine grade grease, gonna put Piggy in the shed for the winter & bring up the quad w/ the plow & get ready for the snow :( :x
I'm not really mad about the snow :lol: I go out & play on the Quad :)
thats my winter ridng time :)

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
Pat,
I think you used a 4 letter word, Yuuuukkkk the ole white stuff. I hope you covered the Piggy so it want get cold. Ridding has slowed here also, been in the 30's. I got plum down last year getting out in this wind and cold, so I am going to take it easy for this one I think. We have good days that I will be able to get a few rides in but will have to be back before dark, that is what got me last year. I may even take the piggy for a spin to exercise the bearings now and then. If I get real board I may try to think of something to add to the Piggy, but then again it has about all I need in a trailer as it is.
Piggys Rule!!

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
George
the Piggy w/be stored in a nice cozy shed :wink:
no heat in there :( but it'll do :lol:

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Italian Stallion said:
Bearing Buddies were introduced on marine trailers because of the frequent immersion in salt water. It is my opinion that these Buddies are of no use for our application. Has anyone ever thought of what happens to the grease after many compressions? All it's doing is pushing the grease past the bearings (not through them), out through the inner seal and onto the rim. This is not the correct way to pack bearings. Only complete disassembly by removing the wheel hub and packing the bearings with grease in the palm of your hand will achieve this and all it'll cost you is the two inner seals that will be disturbed. You already have the grease! I just thought I'd help!

Mike
IS,

Because the bearing is installed on it's shaft, the grease has to go through the bearings. There's no where else for it to go. So bearing buddies do work. If the bearing is already full though, the grease will go out through the seal and will create a mess. BTDT! You are correct that they really aren't necessary unless you're only going to grease them every 20k miles or so.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
been using them for years, boat & utility trailers, never had a failure.
they are well worth the $20, don't overload w/ grease or there w/ be a problem with the seals.. :( :oops:

·
Registered
537 Posts
Pat, i'm glad you're making room in your garage so when I get my piggy we can put it together in there..... :wink:

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Brian
when ever your ready :wink: :wink:

·
Registered
537 Posts
From what I have been told by Piggy when I called them, they said their really isn't much difference at all w/the 12" wheels and torsion bar axle. I was told by them that they provide it primarily because some customers JUST WANT the 12" wheels and torsion bar axle JUST BECAUSE. I don't have my Piggy yet so I can't really comment for sure either way but I would personally not spend the extra money on the Piggy w/the 12" wheels. JMHO. If I was spending the money on a Aluma or something more expensive then I would expect a torsion setup. Hope this helps, Brian

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have the 8" wheels & don't have any problems, we added Bearing Buddies just for the hell of it, it tows great, however I only have about 1200-1300 mi on mine.
George Patrick has towed his all over creation :lol: tell him how great it is George :wink: :lol:
also George loads the Piggy right up to his EYEBALLS with STUFFFFFF!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink: :wink:

Merry Christmas guys :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
Yea, I have had mine for a while, and tote it all over, loaded to the max. I have been thinking about adding a rack on the lid for the kitchen sink. I can't seem to get the top closed when I add that last little item, but don't think it will handle the weight of the sink. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I got mine long before the 12 inch wheels came out. I have seen one at a rally last year, but didn't get a close look at it. A friend of mine that is just up the road a few miles bought the Standard Piggy, and within a few days decided to put 12 in wheels on it. He went the "GRS" "The Goat Roper Store" a little Texas Humor here, AKA "Tractor Supply" where he bought a set of 12 inch wheels, and put them on the 8 inch Piggy. The 12 inch tires fit well under the finders and he was off, and I have a spare set of 8 in chrome tires and wheels. He hasn't pulled his all that much, and I haven't had a chance to ask if he is still satisfied with it. No news is good news I guess.

As winginit01 saw in a previous answer to a post I have a slightly sick sense of humor, and do tend to pack every once into the little Piggy. I will have to pack it up with the spare Trike in it and the rest of the gear that I normally pack, and see just how much it really comes in at. I get close to 545 + - a pound or so.
With the Scooter "Little Blue" I may have to put the cloths duffle in the trunk. That would mean taking out approx 35 Lbs of cloths, and adding 160/175 Lbs of scooter. That would put the Piggy weight at near 680# give or take, Hummmm that sounds like a project for the PMS Season. The problem with that is, if it gets good enough to do that out side it is good enough to be ridding, that could be a tuff decision.

When I first got the Piggy, a couple of days after I got it finished and ready for the road. I loaded 4 100# bags of salt, and a cooler on it and took it for a short 30 mile run, Mind you now I had the GL1200 at that time. After about 5 miles I quit looking in the mirrors and just rode on. I pulled it all over TX, OK,and Ark with close to that weight with the 1200 and didn't know it was back there 99% of the time.

With the 1800 Trike I don't know it is there at all, and have plenty of power to spare. Mileage isn't all that bad loaded that heavy I loose about 2 to 3 MPG, but that is to be some what expected. On a two wheeler, I will have to defer the gas question to Bassnman, also the handling for the most part. I do know that with the 1200 I had no problems in the hills of ARK, just remember to use the rear brakes more than the front when pulling.

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
This is almost packed. The clothes duffels and a few odds and ends haven't been put in yet, and the gas can isn't in the photo ( it goes on top of the cooler, up front cooler that is )

·
Registered
851 Posts
Correct bushings??

I finally got my piggy today and had to wait until the weather around here permitted delivery. When I started assembling, I noticed that the bushings in the leaf springs were really sloppy. Is this standard with these trailers?
Do they rattle going down the road? Did I miss something in the assembly?

Truck

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Trucko
thats the norm :)
you didn't miss anything :wink:
where in Colorado do you live :?:
Greeley was my home for a while :D

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
Trucko,

It will rattle a little on a ruff road but only at slow speeds. It annoyed me a little so I found a small piece of rubber. Like the sidewall materiel of an old tire and glued it in between the frame and the back keeper. NO more rattle at any speed.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts