GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm guessing the several of you must use the Pike Pass on your Wing. I travel to and through OK a couple times each year so just got an account...I hate fumbling for $ with gloves and gear.

Where do you place the mobile transponder?

Thanks,
Termite

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Wrong question

The Indiana forum is pretty dead too! I probably should have asked a different question...

Is synthetic oil better than dino....

Hey, I've got some new deer whistles...where should I put them on the bike?

Looking for a recommendation for the best Dairy Queen in Oklahoma...any suggestions?

>:) Ride safe!

·
Registered
996 Posts
I don't have a Pike Pass but I do have a NTTA pass which is for Texas tolls but it's accepted on Oklahoma tollways. When I know that I'm going to use a Tollway, I keep my pass in the left fairing pocket until I'm ready to use it at which time I just hold it up against my windshield until I pass thru. Then it goes back into the left pocket.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I just tried a EZPass/ Fastlane toll pass on the NY Thruway this past Friday for the first time and it failed to register at the booths so I had to pay cash. I had it stuck in the upright position on the inside of the left trunk wall because several had commented in past threads with this subject that the monitors will register through the single wall plastic. You should be able to locate these threads in Search and there were many good ideas thrown around and discussed. I think I picked the wrong idea to try lol.

Allen

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
....I keep my pass in the left fairing pocket until I'm ready to use it at which time I just hold it up against my windshield until I pass thru. Then it goes back into the left pocket.

Thanks Big Bear. I wondered if that was the solution.

Termite

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
I have to get mine out. Have it in a front coat pocket and get it out just before the both. I hold it up as I drive through. Even then, it often doesn't "register". I called PikePass and asked if I needed it replaced. They told me that even though it is the large unit, there wasn't a battery and it didn't need to be replaced. They told me to just "not worry about it". So I don't. I still get it out and hold it up as I drive through.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
I just tried a EZPass/ Fastlane toll pass on the NY Thruway this past Friday for the first time and it failed to register at the booths so I had to pay cash. I had it stuck in the upright position on the inside of the left trunk wall because several had commented in past threads with this subject that the monitors will register through the single wall plastic. You should be able to locate these threads in Search and there were many good ideas thrown around and discussed. I think I picked the wrong idea to try lol.

Allen
I tried that mounting location too and it didn't work. I now keep the EZPass in my upper left jacket pocket. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but it's "easy" (sometimes I get aggravated and take my time to do it - gets the long line behind me and the clerk really pi**ed off) to grab and show it to the clerk at the toll booth. I may try mounting the EZPass under the plastic piece that covers the hidden base of the windshield.
Massachusetts didn't eliminate tolls, but finally did do something right in eliminating all the toll booths throughout the state. I don't know how they charge people from out of state other than by sending a bill in the mail to the registered owner of the vehicle. IMHO for safety, energy conservation and CO emission reduction all toll booths should be banned. On summer and holiday weekends the New Hampshire toll booths on I-95 can have traffic backed up for miles.

Reactions: roadrunner1800

·
Registered
370 Posts
When I got the newest PikePass I was told it could be inside the trunk or either of the faring pockets but that was not the case. Many times it did not register while in front right pocket. So I went back to the Velcro strips low on the backside of my windshield. Reads every time in that position. Never got a ticket when it did not read, but did not want the hassle if they tried to ticket me.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I do the same as you Steve, on the inside right of vent. Mine's attached with the suction cups it came with. Works 99% of the time.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I do the same as you Steve, on the inside right of vent. Mine's attached with the suction cups it came with. Works 99% of the time.
Hi Bill. How is retirement treating you? I figured you might be in Arkansas this weekend for some curvy road riding. Hope you and Pam are doing well.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I keep mine in the center compartment no problem in the last 5 years.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts