GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand you can't haul motorcycle trailers up these Mountain roads and also understand why. My question is will the parks let you leave the trailer in the parking lot's while you ride up Pikes Peak and Mt. Evans? We are going to be out there the last week of July.

Thanks,
Jim

·
Firm Member
3,159 Posts
Yes for Pikes Peak for sure. I am not sure about Mt. Evans but I can't see why they wouldn't follow suit.
Pike Peak has a parking area they use to allow you to store them.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
92 Posts
People park at the restaurant at the bottom of Mt Evans. Don't recall the parking situation on Pike's Peak, but I'm sure you can come up with something.

Have fun! And bring warm clothes!

·
Registered
341 Posts
Mt. Evans

We left our trailer at mottom of Mt. Evans,I think it was like a visitor center after you went through the entrance gate.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
The one for Pikes Peak is right by the entrance station. Easy to park it there and pick it up on the way back down. And since it is by the entrance station, it is pretty safe there also.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Mt.Evans

:eek:4:Mt.Evans,did it,with a trailer,would not do it again,can leave trailer at ranger station.Scary ride up,but great ride down.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
We just rode both of these fabulous mountains last week! We left our trailer at the motel/condo. They will not let you take it up Pikes Peak but I saw a bike and trailer come up Mt Evans. There is a large parking area for trailers at the gate at Pikes Peak.

BTW, both mountains are great, Mt Evans was more intimidating than Pikes Peak for us. The road up Mt Evans is paved all the way but is fairly NARROW and is not smooth at all when compared to Pikes Peak. Some of the cages on Mt Evans were hogging more than their share of the road and the edge of the road IS the side of the mountain in many places on Mt Evans. We really enjoyed these rides!

I got a little frustrated with Pikes Peak..they have a big sign at the gate saying "NO Bicycles", as we were leaving the top we got behind a little bus that was acting as tailgunner for a group of bicycles, that were all coasting down the mountain. The slowest of the group were barely crawling downt the mountain causing us to use our brakes or first gear a lot. There were two groups of these that we had to deal with on the way down.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
I got a little frustrated with Pikes Peak..they have a big sign at the gate saying "NO Bicycles", as we were leaving the top we got behind a little bus that was acting as tailgunner for a group of bicycles, that were all coasting down the mountain. The slowest of the group were barely crawling downt the mountain causing us to use our brakes or first gear a lot. There were two groups of these that we had to deal with on the way down.
You can't do it with your bike, but tour companies, which you saw, can do it. I always recommend that people visit the mountain when it first opens, ride to the top straight through, then stop and see the sights on the way down. Meeting less cars and avoid some of these bikes.

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
I hope you are not afraid of heights. I rode up Mt Evans 35 years ago on a motorcycle, but honestly have very little memory of it, but I know I made it to the top.

A year ago I tried to go back up in on a motorcycle and I'm man enough to tell you that I had to stop and go back down about 3/4 of the way up. I've learned to deal with my phobia of heights on most mountain roads, but that one did me in - especially because it was quite windy that day.

·
Registered
827 Posts
When we were there in June the road said closed, I was glad I didn't want to ride up Mount Evans anyway and the road closed gave me a good reason not too

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Yup, Mt. Evans is a narrow winding road.

Who said it's Narrow?

Sharp Turns.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Loved Mt. evans one of my best memories.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
I went up Mt. Evans with my trailer because I didn't know better and wasn't told otherwise by the ranger, it was scary for me; the narrow hairpin turns with on-coming traffic just as I approached the turns kept me on on edge.

Once at the bottom I stopped to ask about Pikes Peak when a ranger pulled up and the first thing he mentioned to me was that they normally don't allow trailers, well, I sure wish someone had told me before I ventured up! At Pikes Peak I was told to park my trailer next to the entrance both and I had an absolute wonderful ride up.

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
I have been up both Mt Evans & Pikes Peak on my Wing.... Mt Evans by far was my favorite.. we went up in August.. it was 100 degrees in Denver.. 38 degrees on top of Mt Evans..

cosmic

1 - 17 of 17 Posts