GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In planning my trip to Anchorage next July, I am interested in doing Mt Evans and Pikes Peak enroute. Can any of you tell me the average time to climb both and can both be done in one day? Thanks.

·
Registered
7,687 Posts
It can be done in one day, but for both it is often recommended to ride up the the morning to avoid storms which often develop later in the day.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Rode up Mt. Evans Aug 25th. From the Park gate to the the top is about 15 miles. It took me about an hour or so to get to the top. Mainly because I have never ridden up anything like that before. It is hairy scary goin. We had a light rain and the temp was 42 at the top. Total trip time was about 2 1/2 hours. Have fun, but be careful.

·
Registered
871 Posts
There is a considerable distance between the two places and both should be enjoyed at a comfortable pace so you have time to enjoy the veiws. I would deffinately recommend doing them on different days. You do not want to go to the top of Mt Evans fast or you will not have time to acclimate and when you get to the top you will be woosy. Watch out for the permafrost bumps about half way up by the small lake, they are a spine killer

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
distances

Being an eastoner myself, one of the hardest things about riding out west, is trying to wrap my mind around the distances. My awakening came in the planning stages when I was trying to plan my route from Reno to Denver. Eventually, I realized that it was almost as far from Reno to Denver as it was from Denver to home (northern Michigan). To me, Denver was "out west" and Reno was near by. I wouldn't make doing both peaks in a single day an objective. Too many variables and the distance too long between locations. Not to mention all of the fabulous scenery and riding in between. If you haven't done so yet, you might take a look at the routes posted for last years Rockies Gold get-together. There was one ride there that could be done in a day that took you over enough passes that the elavations added up to over 100k'. If both Evens and Pikes Peak are important then I would suggest an early start at PP and then a nice over to the Mt Evens area and then Mt Evens early the next morning. By the way, do you have heated gear?

Richard

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pikes Peak/Mt Evans

The only heated gear I have is gloves. I have my Tourmaster Solution jacket that is awesome and coldweather trousers with liners and boots that will get the job done. I think I like the idea of taking them one at a time on different days starting in the mornig and then moving on to Alaska. Is there an entrance fee?

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
We were in the Rockies the first week in July. On our next to the last day there we rode Mt Evans. This was the highlight of our trip, it was so much fun riding up that mountain and seeing the view from the top. We rode around the Rockies there the rest of the day and spent the night in Granby Co. The next day was to be our last day in the Rockies before heading home. The plan was to ride Pikes Peak after lunch and then ride the Royal Gorge Bridge (because it was close by and is one of the highest suspension bridges in the world) and then spend the night in Pueblo Co before heading home the next day. We left Granby that morning after a stop for breakfast, made it to Pikes Peak right after lunch. The weather was beautiful when we left Granby but deteriorated fast. As we arrived at Colorado Springs it was spitting rain and the sky was dark gray and mother-in-law looking. Since this was our last day in Colorado we proceeded to the Pikes Peak gate anyway. The guard wisely turned us around and would not let us go up the mountain. Lightning is a killer on that mountain and bikes were not allowed when it is present. He said our best chance would be come in the morning. We headed to Pueblo, got a room and then headed for the Royal Gorge, thats when the monsoon set in, with buckets of water, raging wind, and lightning. We turned around and spend the rest of the evening in the room. Bright and early the next day we made it to Pikes Peak. The Pikes Peak ride took us about 3 hours or so and it was 37 degrees on top. It was a fun ride up but not near as tense as the Mt Evans ride. Im glad we stayed the extra morning to see Pikes Peak. We simply rode into the night that day to make up for the time we spent riding the mountain. Dont miss either of these giants! I dont think Id try to do them both in one day, as mentioned earlier, they are a distance apart and they will put a little some stress on you too.

http://www.mountevans.com/

http://www.springsgov.com/SectionIndex.aspx?SectionID=18

http://royalgorgebridge.com/

·
Registered
17 Posts
Riding to Alaska

You'll enjoy Alaska. In 2007 we did that, and loved it! We're in OR, and we rode up to Bellingham, WA, and got on an Alaskan Ferry (in a room), going up the inside passage to Haines, AK. We are SO glad we did it this way, you just can't believe the views from the ferry -- it goes from port to port in the inside passage where cruise ships can't go. In Haines we did an excursion in a private plane to see the mountains and glaciers = WOW!!

Going down the roads and seeing black/brown/grizzly bears, elk, moose, bison, mountain sheep and bald eagles is phenomenal.

Then we headed up to ride around the entire "Interior".....TOK, Fairbanks, Denali, Anchorage, Yukon, and the full length of BC. We were on our 1500 towing a cargo trailer, and the trip was awesome!!! I recommend it to anyone. Alaska is scenery like nothing you can see anywhere else in the U.S. The wildlife is over-the-top, and hitting our very first frost heave at 60 was quite an eye opener (which we never did again at that speed!)!

If you have any questions about riding in alaska or planning it, we'd be happy to provide any info you want. One of the best things we did was buy "The Milepost". It tells you where everything is in AK, based on mileposts -- and it's updated annually. What great memories for me to recall, just mentioning this.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
The only heated gear I have is gloves. I have my Tourmaster Solution jacket that is awesome and coldweather trousers with liners and boots that will get the job done. I think I like the idea of taking them one at a time on different days starting in the mornig and then moving on to Alaska. Is there an entrance fee?
For Mt. Evans there is no entrance fee nor is there any restriction on towing your trailer up there with you. It is actually higher in elevation than Pikes Peak and is paved road all the way to the top. Only a small outside exhibit at the top, but the view is still awesome.

Pikes Peak is MUCH buisier, has an entrance fee, does not allow you to tow a trailer, and is partially dirt road. Parking up there can be an issue but bikes are usually able to squeeze in to some of the buffer zones. There is a large inside gift shop at the top with (expensive) trinkets to document your accomplishment. There is also a COG train rail to the top from Colorado Springs, which I took years back. I found that really enjoyable but it definately makes it an all day affair.

I have done the Pikes Peak motorcycle ride twice. The second time was only so I could get a picture of my wife up there too. Add in that the clouds rolled in and obligerated much of the view and made the cold sink deep into my bones, I had much less fun than the first time. I hated the snail pace of all the cars since there are few places to pass and EVERYONE was going the same speed. (I know...slow down and just enjoy the view)

You can heat up your bike on either the Pike's Peak or Mt. Evans ride if you are stuck going really slow, even when the air temperature is down to the low 40s because there is not much air flow but there IS a constant strain on the engine. Leaving our trailer at the bottom at Pike's Peak was actually a good idea considering the pace. I had no problems with heat on Mt. Evans even while pulling my trailer since I could generally stay up beyond 30 mph.

Enjoy your trip and stay safe. Cheers.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Living at the base of Pikes Peak I have a pretty good perspective on this, having ridden both many times. Both are great rides. Mt. Evans is completed paved and is a little bit higher than Pikes Peak, but sites back in the foothills a bit more. Pikes Peak is right along the Front Range looking right down on Colorado Springs, is almost completely paved (they are hoping to have the pavement completed by the end of June 2012, but the unpaved section is not an issue for the ride), and is just a little lower than Mt. Evans.

The difficulty in doing both in one day is not the distance involved, but the fact that you really want to visit both during the morning before the afternoon clouds and thunderstorms build during the summer (especially July and August). If threre are clouds on the mountain when you get nearby, just skip it as you will not see anything up there. If it is a beautiful day and both remain clear, then it is an awesome experience.

If you are staying in the Colorado Springs area, you should plan to arrive at the gate for Pikes Peak (off US-24 at Cascade) when it first opens. Nope, no trailers allowed, plus you would not want to pull a trailer as it would definitely make the Wing overheat due to slow speeds, little air flowing across the radiators, and the bike will be pulling pretty hard). I recommend driving straight to the top when it first opens as there will likely be no cars (perhaps a staff vehicle) coming down, and that makes things a lot easier. Get to the top, enjoy, and then take your time enjoying the sights on the way back down (and there are many to enjoy). I'd plan 2-3 hours depending upon how much you want to stop.

Once you get back to US-24, you'll be taking the great backroads north towards Mt. Evans. US-24 west to Woodland Park (my home town), north on CO-67 to Deckers (lots of twisties), CR-126 to Pine and Pine Junction where you reach US-285. US-285 north (towards Denver) for several miles to Conifer, CR-73 north to Evergreen, then take the Evergreen Parkway north towards I-70, but you will not go as far as I-70. Take CO-103 west towards Echol Lake and the road to Mt. Evans. When you come back town continue on -103 down to Idaho Springs and on to your destination for the night.

You will have had an outstanding Colorado day!

A little riding on Pikes Peak:

And on Mt. Evans:

·
Registered
318 Posts
Is there an entrance fee?
Mt. Evans: $3

Pikes Peak: $12

You may be allowed to enter Mt. Evans for free if you tell the ranger that you are only going to ride up and ride back down and not do any hiking.

Last time I was there 2 years ago, the ranger warned me of 55 mph winds at the top and some bikes had been blown over. I wasn't deterred! I made it to the top, stayed 5 minutes because my co rider was freezing and went back down! It wasn't my first time up.. and it's generally less busy than Pikes Peak.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
I drove up Mt. Evans with a trailer and when I got back down, the other ranger told me that they normally do not allow trailers up. I'm here to tell you that I wouldn't take a trailer up again, I had my wife look up the mountain to tell me if on-coming cars where entering the hair-pin turns at the same time as we were.

At Pikes Peak the rangers let me park the trailer next to them and I have a very nice ride up (not on the same day).

·
Immortal Member
3,084 Posts
We live 8 miles from the summit of Mt Evans on the south side of the Mt Evans wilderness at 9,000 feet asl.

It's about 50 miles by road though...

We ride Evans 3 or 4 times a season as the road is free for the riding but if you plan to get off the bike you'll need to pay the whopping $3.00 at the gate.

One of my motorcycle bucket list events is riding both of the highest paved roads in America on the same day.

It's possible to do for me if I can time the weather right cause like has been mentioned before, you do NOT want to be on the mountian during a lightning storm.

Something to ponder over the long winter months...

If you've never ridden these mountians, come on out and give them a go, it'll be a memory you'll keep for a life time!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Last summer, I did both Pikes and Evans but at different times, with experiences of altitude sickness at both. Worked through the symptoms OK and I would do it again. Nothing like the 14ers.

Watch out if you pull over on to the sides for viewing, for the most part the ground is very soft.

When east due MT. Washington. Great view there too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts