GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just returned from a 2 week trip to Co. the high point of the trip was riding to the top of Pikes Peak, this is a must do for anyone that rides a bike.:thumbup:

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
:agree: Been there a few years ago.

It was so clear the day we were there you could see almost forever!

I hope to go back sometime. They made me leave my trailer at the bottom. :shrug: I could have pulled it up with no problem.

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
Could you see my house down in Woodland Park???
Didn't exactly know your coordinates...

Yes, and the lawn needs cutting.:thumbup:
Lots of yards needed cutting (or is it mowing?) I have a lawn mower but not a lawn cutter! :joke:

Anyway, I would rather ride than cut grass myself. Wingnutzz Dave is probably the same... :lol:

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Well it looks like we are going to have to make a visit to Pikes Peak in July, others have told us there isnt much to see and the road is terrible (they have most likely never been), so we left it out of our plans. Ive heard about it since I was in grade school, might as well see it up close and personal. Its back in my plans, thanks!

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Glad you had a good trip Tommy.
I went to Pike's Peak when I was 12 back in '73. Love to do it on the Wing.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Been there three times in the last two years,. I will be going back again at the end of July on the wing. I love riding that mountain. Love the view.

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well it looks like we are going to have to make a visit to Pikes Peak in July, others have told us there isnt much to see and the road is terrible (they have most likely never been), so we left it out of our plans. Ive heard about it since I was in grade school, might as well see it up close and personal. Its back in my plans, thanks!
As you can see the day we were there the weather was just great, 45 degrees and clear.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Save $2bucks!

Here is a link for a coupon to save $2.00 off the entrance fee to Pike's Peak. I printed off several and pass my extras to other Wingers last year on our trip up the mtn. http://www.pikes-peak.com/DisplayCoupon.aspx?id=25

Oh! Don't ride down too fast or the guys at the brown shack will have a talk with you!

Attachments

·
Registered
536 Posts
Glad you had good weather. I rode it three years ago the first week of June and got snowed on, went on over to Mt. Evans and got snowed on again.

·
Registered
21,020 Posts
we did Pikes Peak in 2004, it is a very nice and memorable ride for sure :thumbup:

·
Registered
507 Posts
Here's a pic of Hastemaker and his Bride on the gravel section on the way to the summit on Pike's Peak.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Here's a pic of Hastemaker and his Bride on the gravel section on the way to the summit on Pike's Peak.
Whats that dirt like when it rains a lot? Anybody know?

·
Registered
507 Posts
Whats that dirt like when it rains a lot? Anybody know?
It was fairly dry when we were there last week. The construction crews do wet the road down to reduce dust. They are in the process of paving the last section. The road was not bad. There is some loose gravel in the turns and you have to be careful. There are some very tight turns going uphill and downhill in the gravel section. Going downhill in the gravel section you have to avoid hard braking so as to keep the bike from sliding out from under you in the downhill turns.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts