GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I would recommend Mt Evans instead. It's higher and the road is paved all the way to the top. Temps will very greatly. When I was there last at the end of June all I needed was a light jacket. But if the sun disappears and the wind starts blowing it can be miserable.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Last time I was there, it was sunny and warm at the bottom, cool rain half way up and snowing at the top.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think Pikes Peak is more of a "I did Pikes Peak" thing, which is obviously why we want to do it. Being from MI, and traveling through about 80 miles north, it would be a shame not to do it. One of our members did it last fall and said there was about 3" of mush all the way up. I'll look into Mt. Evans though.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Werfa said:
I think Pikes Peak is more of a "I did Pikes Peak" thing, which is obviously why we want to do it. Being from MI, and traveling through about 80 miles north, it would be a shame not to do it. One of our members did it last fall and said there was about 3" of mush all the way up. I'll look into Mt. Evans though.
Mt. Evans: would be more of a; "I rode to the top of the of the highest paved road in the United States" thing.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BIGBIKE said:
Mt. Evans: would be more of a; "I rode to the top of the of the highest paved road in the United States" thing.
That's true too. I just looked on Mapsource and It's not on there. I googled the exact location...strange.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Look for Rt 103 and Rt 5 just south of Idaho Springs. 5 will take you to the top of the world.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Mt Evans

I did a google search for it and found it with no problem. Werfa just can't find his way around unless he is in Belfontaine, OH. or going to Mich rally.

Ken when are you leaving and where did you make reservations in Billings? I just made mine and could not find anything in Billings, ended up with hotel in Columbus, MT alittle drive but about have way to Yellowstone anyway, I didn't figure going to Wing Ding events every day anyway. I want to see Montana and Yellowstone and Teton's.

Radar
MI A2

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
The first part of the ride in the following link provides info on the ride up to Mt. Evans, including map:

http://coloradodave.net/CO-UT Ride/colorado_only.htm

Or just go to the Mt Evans web site:

http://www.mountevans.com/

I prefer riding Mt. Evans to riding Pikes Peak, and I live in Woodland Park so that I see PP when I look out my window. The road to Pikes Peak still has about 10 miles or so at the top that is unpaved, so it can get lots of loose gravel, washboard, dust, etc. This can be particularly challenging in some of the sharp switchbacks. Yes, it is very doable, but I would recommend being one of the first vehicles in the morning, that way you are not eating dust from cars in front of you or from those coming down. You also would likely have no traffic coming down (unless a mountain employee).

For more info:

http://www.pikespeakcolorado.com/

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
davidmc said:
WingnutZZ, I had in my mind that Mt. Evans was part of your July plans.

Am I wrong about this?
Mt. Evans is too far from Montrose to include on a day ride, but folks coming out from the east could hit it on the way to Montrose or on the way home. It is neat to ride to the top of Mt. Evans, but I think you'll like the awesome rides out of Montrose.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Went up PP in August 04. Warm at the bottom, cool at the top, with bits of scattered snow. I didn't like the gravel road (washboard) on the way up.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Some great shots. Mount Evans is more on the way than Pikes Peak, but both are close since our current route takes us from the Rockies down through Denver. Pikes Peak road sounds pretty sounds doable if you hit it on a nice day. Guess we have to make a decision....

·
Registered
750 Posts
Werfa here's a LINK to some pics of our trip to Colorado last year the last of June. I have to agree that Mt. Evans is a much easier ride than Pikes Peak but if you hvae time I would do both. The day we were on Mt. Evans the wind was really bad and a gust blew my bike off the side stand and banged up the right side. Anyway maybe some of these pics will better describe what you're wanting to know. Enjoy your trip whichever you decide to do. LTH

·
Registered
268 Posts
Why not do them both, they are not that far apart. Both are unique rides and both easy to do. Weather changes from top to bottom on both. Enjoy. George

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Werfa said:
LTH, great pics but you need captions so we know where they are if there isn't signs. That bridge is awesome!
That would be the Royal Gorge Bridge across the Arkansas River, a few miles west of Canon City on US-50. About 1000 feet above the water. Wood decking in the bridge makes it very interesting for both walking and riding across.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Captions

LTH, great pics but you need captions so we know where they are if there isn't signs. That bridge is awesome!
Yeah I just haven't had time to it yet. That's usually my winter project. :D

·
Registered
826 Posts
I've ridden both and both are good rides. Pike's is only paved half way up and more of a challenge but I actually preferred it. When we started up, it was sunny and in the 70's. The dirt was rutted but hard packed. Got to the top, still bright, sunny and 36. Thirty minutes later, fog rolled in, then rain and snow, then the hail. Ride down was slick as snot but fortunately the fog obscured the view over the edge. One hint. if you are running in 1st and see the temp climb, shift to 3rd and watch it drop. Yes, you can climb in 3rd with an occasional downshift and keep the temp at a safe level.

Evans was easy. Only thing there is to watch for the frost heaves near the summit.

Go for it. You'll be glad you did.

·
Registered
21,098 Posts
we have done both pikes peak and mt evans

they are both very fun rides the first time !

because of the slow traffic the wings overheated on pikes peak, they didn't on mt evans but maybe we were just lucky not to get caught in so much slow traffic on mt evans, pikes peak is a little more scarry if riding close to the edge or on gravel bothers u

if i were going back and could only do one i would probably pick mt evans, they have some pretty cool goats wandering around up there

1 - 20 of 20 Posts