GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you guys are using the Pilot rear tire on the front of your trikes?

Questions:

1. Do you notice any tire noise while going down the road?
2. Do you notice any type of vibrations ( not a wobble ) in the handlebars, with both hands on the handlebars?
3. Do you run 41 psi in the front tire?

Reason for these questions are, I had one mounted yesterday, and the handling characteristics are completely different than with the D250 OEM tire. The tire handles fine in corners, the tire is well balanced, bearings are well greased, all hardware is properly installed and torqued to specs, brake pads ok, and rotors run true, steering head bearing are fine and torqued to specs, tire air pressure is 41 psi.

A friend of mine as the same tire mounted on his 2006 trike, and has the same handling characteristics and feeling at the handlebar grip as I do, mine is a 2005, his is mounted backwards, mine is mounted forward.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Pilot Activator

Had my pilot installed in reverse position and handle bars felt like I had a out of tune weed wacker in my hands. Had tire reversed to forward pattern, however, buzz/vibration was still there. With less than 1,000 miles on tire had it removed and replaced with a Metzler 880. No more buzz.

G

·
I have it mounted in reverse direction per instructions directly from Michelin. It has to do with the construction of the tire.

Dick McCulley said:
1. Do you notice any tire noise while going down the road?
Yes - from about 23 to 32 mph. Below 23 and above 32 it is fine. And it is just a low hum. My wife cannot hear it unless I pull in the clutch and coast.

Dick McCulley said:
2. Do you notice any type of vibrations ( not a wobble ) in the handlebars, with both hands on the handlebars?
Yes - at the above speeds. It is just a slight vibration though, not too bothersome.

Dick McCulley said:
3. Do you run 41 psi in the front tire?
Yes - but now that you mention it I will have to lower it and see if it is still there. before we went to W.O.T.S. I had been running 36 psi and never noticed the hum or vibration.

Prior to the Pilot, I had a ME880. It was a good handling, smooth riding tire that was shot at 7000 miles.

I have over 5000 miles on the Pilot and the tread looks like new.

G

·
Running Pilot Activ 130/70/18 in normal rotation on my 1800 Champion. No vibration, no wobble. Now over 10K miles with no problems. Has lotsa miles in it yet. Handles and rides great in the twisties or on the xway.

Ride safe

·
Registered
55 Posts
pilot tire

Pilot Active mounted backwards at 32 psi. on 2003 Champion trike. have 3200 miles on tire...LOVE IT !!! handles great on interstate at 85+ mph andin the north Ga. mountain twisties.( agressive rider) I also run 26 psi in rear tires. sam

·
Registered
38 Posts
I put the PilotActiv on backwards, run it at 40psi. I also put Progressive springs in the forks at the same time. I don't notice any handling differences. Much slower wear compared to the Dunlop orig.

G

·
Re: pilot tire

samsamtrike said:
Pilot Active mounted backwards at 32 psi. on 2003 Champion trike. have 3200 miles on tire...LOVE IT !!! handles great on interstate at 85+ mph andin the north Ga. mountain twisties.( agressive rider) I also run 26 psi in rear tires. sam
As I said earlier I have been running 41. I lowered it to 36 and I think the hum and vibration was the same or a little worse. I have never tried 32 as samsamtrike says but tomorrow I will. With 36 or 41 it rides and handles fine. I also run 26 in the rear.

G

·
Re: pilot tire

samsamtrike said:
Sam:

You might want to consider booting up that pressure. I was running 38 when I first put the tire on. It began to show some signs of cupping. I went up to 41, and cupping has stopped. 32 PSI on a trike front tire is pretty soft.

My $.02. Ride safe.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Ballpark, what kinda money for a Pilot vs say lop,metz,etc.??

G

·
146.20 + 29.40 labor = $175.60 for a ME880 at my Honda dealer

106.58 + 18.00 labor = $124.58 for a Pilot at a tire place that does cars and bikes.

So if I get no more miles out of the Pilot, I am at least $51.02 ahead. With over 4000 miles on it now and showing no wear, I think it is going to prove to be a good deal.

I do have a slight tire hum and buzz in the handelbars at 28-32 mph, but I can live with it. I don't ride in that speed range too often. I mostly notice it when coming to a stop.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts