GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been considering having some pinstripes on my gl1800. I’m not sure where or by who yet, but wondered if anyone has done this. I’ve only contacted one person so far. Anyone have a rough estimate what this might cost me? Any recommendations or warnings? Thanks

·
Registered
476 Posts
pinstriping

5 of my Goldwings were done as was 2 boats, 3 trucks and 6 cars. Try to get it done by someone local or that has a shop. If you lose a piece or have an accident you get it redone by the same person. Also would be helpful to at least know what state you live in so we could suggest someone in your area.

Billy

·
Registered
322 Posts
Just remember, you get what you pay for. Cheap striping is just that, and it shows. Don’t be afraid to pay a little more and get quality work. You might want to go to some local car shows and cruise ins to look at striping, and talk to vehicle owners about who did theirs, and what they paid.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I have done the last two bikes I have had at rallies. Lots of really good pin strippers there, usually the same people at every rally.
They are usually not cheap but do quality work.

Barney

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
FWIW, to many of us that like to buy used, you will significantly decrease the value of your bike when you personalize it with something as permanent as pinstripes.

When we shopped for our 3 different goldwings it often confused the seller why they were having such a hard time selling their pin striped, and or custom muraled, and or stick on chrome Laden bikes.

Good luck.

Sent from my cellphone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,949 Posts
FWIW, to many of us that like to buy used, you will significantly decrease the value of your bike when you personalize it with something as permanent as pinstripes.

When we shopped for our 3 different goldwings it often confused the seller why they were having such a hard time selling their pin striped, and or custom muraled, and or stick on chrome Laden bikes.

Good luck.

Sent from my cellphone using Tapatalk
I never criticize, what anybody says here,on this forum, and think every person has their own reason for purchasing an add on to their personal motorcycle ........usually most stuff can be removed, be it a trailer hitch, GPS, wings, car tire, bigger windshield, etc.etc etc..............BUT I "kring "(spelling) when ever I see a bike with pinstrips, cause I know that as charleetho just mentioned above, they just totally decrease the value of that bike, I would never purchase a bike that has been pinstriped, NEVER, NEVER, and I suspect that I'm not the only person that has the same feeling...... What striping may do for one person ,being a "turn on", would completely be a "turn off" for another ......It like when you see cars with stickers on it, very, very best way to decrease the value of that vehicle....:frown2::frown2: I know it may look good to you BUT the next buyer(s) may not be quite as excited..... I'm going to end my opinion right here::: That's all I have to say about it! 0:)0:)

Ronnie

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
My observation is that pin stripping is not anywhere near as popular/common as it was 15 or more years ago.

·
Registered
757 Posts
My observation is that pin stripping is not anywhere near as popular/common as it was 15 or more years ago.
yep, there were very few at Wing Ding this year.....In the past there were half dozen or more at WD....I thought the decline was due to the outrageous prices the GWRRA charges vendors...

·
Registered
268 Posts
When I was looking to buy my goldwing last summer, I remember at least 2 bikes that I passed on because of the pin striping the owners had done.
They thought they were beautiful, me not so much.
I know those bikes stayed on the market considerably longer than others in the same price range.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Granted this has a bit more than pinstripe but drives the point about easily irreversible customization. This bike was at my dealer 3 or 4 years ago. It sat there for months and months. I'm betting the owner took a real hit on trade-in value. The dealer had to know it would be a tough sell. At the time, I asked my salesman if they'd had any offers and/or interest in it. He said none whatsoever. Said they would probably have to get it painted to sell it. Not sure what happened with it.

I don't fault owners for doing what makes them happy but resale is definitely something to think about when you customize.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Pinstriping is pretty easy to remove. I bought a bike where they had their name in pinstriping. With just a little patience, some Q-tips, and some oven cleaner, and light rubbing the name was removed. There could be some minor shadowing, but in my case you cannot notice it was striped. I've seen people remove pinstriping and have it redone because they wanted something different.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Pinstripes for me are like added chrome trim.
I look at it a couple ways. Some added may look great to the owner. For others its at best a guess.
I see pinstriping on custom cars. It's like... that looks good... that's more but still OK... oh crap, that's TOO much!
And like chrome add-on's, it's the taste of the owner. I say more power to him.:thumbup:

But then there is also the burning desire to do "something" to the bike. Want to just do something and add stuff. Go to Wingstuff and go crazy! That's part of the fun of owning one of these things.
For me, I'm a minimalist. Love doing things with and to the bike, but I stick mostly to function. Besides, I have saved a ton of money for more important things like gas and hotels when I ride-tour. Instead of spending it on fancy trim stuff that doesn't really make my ride any more enjoyable or perform any better. But again... that's just me!

Corventure Dave

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Pinstripes for me are like added chrome trim.
I look at it a couple ways. Some added may look great to the owner. For others its at best a guess.
I see pinstriping on custom cars. It's like... that looks good... that's more but still OK... oh crap, that's TOO much!
And like chrome add-on's, it's the taste of the owner. I say more power to him.:thumbup:

But then there is also the burning desire to do "something" to the bike. Want to just do something and add stuff. Go to Wingstuff and go crazy! That's part of the fun of owning one of these things.
For me, I'm a minimalist. Love doing things with and to the bike, but I stick mostly to function. Besides, I have saved a ton of money for more important things like gas and hotels when I ride-tour. Instead of spending it on fancy trim stuff that doesn't really make my ride any more enjoyable or perform any better. But again... that's just me!

Corventure Dave

I'm with you on that. Function is everything I've added to this bike. Realize that almost nothing you add to your bike will add any value to anyone else. If you do it for yourself, and it makes you happy, it was worth it. Just don't expect it to be worth anything to anyone else.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts