GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there's a few threads about this, but I'll add another..

Sadly, this past weekend I removed the flowers and text from Sassy's bike so it can be sold!! She was quite sad to see the artwork go, but she knows there's very few people who would want a yellow GL with pretty flowers and "Sassy" on the trunk!! :cry:

The artwork was done by Sue Hopper at Catscade 2006 with the "Sassy" being added to the tail in 2007.. She had said at the time that this would be the way to remove it as she used only "sign paint"..

I washed and wiped down the area and left it moist.. Sprayed a heavy coat of standard Easy Off oven cleaner and it started bubbling.. Took a cup of coffee!! :coffee1:
Approx 5mins later, using a wet microfiber towel (wearing rubber gloves) I started wiping off the loose paint that had softened.. Keeping the towel wet and rinsing frequently.. The first go round approx 80% of the paint was removed (the flowers were quite thick and had many layers of color and texture)..
Repeated the same process twice, rubbing harder each time and allowing the cleaner time to work between.. The towel was getting a bit funky but there was onlyt a couple of small stubborn streaks left.. Took a wet popsicle stick and dispatched the remaining peices of paint!!

End result was PERFECT!!! Because the bike was always under a cover or in a garage (since the graphic was added) there was ZERO fading of the paint and the shine was still as good as the surrounding surfaces!! :thumbup:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Do you mind if I ask about your windshield?

I see that you have a shorty with a removable.
How is the removeable held in place and does the removeabe work as good as the original when it come to wind buffeting.
Do you know where both came from and cost?

·
Registered
7,616 Posts

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you mind if I ask about your windshield?

I see that you have a shorty with a removable.
How is the removeable held in place and does the removeabe work as good as the original when it come to wind buffeting.
Do you know where both came from and cost?
It's a WindBender ST from FireCreek http://www.firecreekacc.com/
QuickDraw (a board member here) bought the company a couple of years back.. Good guy (Dayle)
The top slids on aluminum tracks and is adjustable up and down.. It's locked in with pins and can also be removed completely for cleaning or "wind in your face" riding..

Never had any noticable buffeting issues with this or the stock shield.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Dave,

So sorry about Sassy. Not a personally easy thing for you to do either, removing her graphics.

My pinstriper gave me the same advice for removal as you, Easy Off Oven Cleaner. Swab on, let sit for just a few minutes, wet wipe off.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dave,

So sorry about Sassy. Not a personally easy thing for you to do either, removing her graphics.
Yea, it was tough.. Sue did a great job.. I'm so glad the guy who bought my Wing liked the trunk.. I don't think I could forgive myself if I had to remove my friends..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts