GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has any tried to modify the exhaust onthe 1800? I like the sound of the Alley Kats and the Torq Master pipes. I was wanting to know if you could drill the baffles in the stock pipes to achieve this sound or is it better to shelll out $400 + bucks for these aftermarket pipes.

·
Chard Member
12,966 Posts
By the time I drilled mine and got the sound I wanted, the bike ran like crap. :( I had tons of dead spots in the throttle.

I went with the Alley Kats. I've been running them for 20,000+ miles.

FYI.....There is a set of Alley Kats on the GWRRA board for sale. $340 shipped!

·
Chard Member
12,966 Posts
Iaron said:
Hey Red, did you have to re-map with the Alley Kats :?:
The mapping is fixed on the 1800 isn't it? Can't be changed.

I didn't need to do anything except to install them and ride. I like the sound. It's not harsh at all. Very mellow unless you're really cranking on it hard!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have no personal experience with re-mapping on the 1800, but I was looking at a used 1800 at a dealer and he told me that the mufflers had been modified and that it had been re-mapped when I looked at it :?: :?:
Might be a good topic for the board :!:

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I brought my pipes into work with me tonight. My friend and I drilled the baffle not the pipe. We welded a 7/8 inch hole saw onto a 1/2 inch rod that was about 3 ft long. I think that this will achieve the sound that I 'm looking for. I appreciate all of the information that you guys have given me. Won't know what they will sound like until I get home in the morning and install them. This mod was very easy to do. After I removed the three 8mm bolts that hold on the exhaust tips. We placed the pipes on a table ( covered in shop rags to prevent scratching of chrome ) in our maintenence shop. We drilled the baffle from the exhaust end not the inlet. As we were looking at the construction of the pipes we found out that if you drill from the inlet end you will completely miss the baffle.
When we stuck our rod in from the inlet side of the pipe it would completely go all of the way to the other end and hit the housing just below the exhaust outlet. Just by reading some of the replies that I have received. I think that some of the guys that haven't had success modifying the pipes were going about it the wrong way. There is only one baffle in the pipe to drill. Hope this works, if not I'll order the Torq Masters. Thanks again for your input.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Modified pipes are installed, and sound Great. Haven't ridden the bike yet to see if there is any change in performance. I have 2 inches of snow in my back yard and can't get the bike out of my work shop.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Finally got to ride bike today. Pipes sound good and can't tell any change in bike performance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts