GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's time for me to change my Michelin Primacy Alpin, considering the PIRELLI CINTURATO P1, reading the description on Tire Rack site about the Tire I noticed it is a High Performance Summer Tire. There is a statement that reads; "Pirelli's warranty does not cover tires that develop compound cracking due to use in ambient temperatures below 45° Fahrenheit (7° Celsius), so the Cinturato P1 Runflat, like all summer tires, is not intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice." Living in the northeast I do ride in temperatures below 45, should I be concerned about compound cracking, and traction?

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
There is a statement that reads; "Pirelli's warranty does not cover tires that develop compound cracking due to use in ambient temperatures below 45° Fahrenheit (7° Celsius), so the Cinturato P1 Runflat, like all summer tires, is not intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice."
Wow. I never considered 45 degrees as a near-freezing temperature.

·
Premium Member
1,523 Posts
First off, you're talking about a car tire on a motorcycle, I doubt the warranty will apply anyway. Beyond that, I've run a Pirelli P1 for 2 seasons now, over 14,000 miles on it, have definitely ridden below 45* , and when it's stored, it's in my unheated garage, often below freezing. No cracks to be found anywhere. It will probably crack from old age before it cracks from temps below 45. There's always the Pirelli Sno Control, of course then you are running a Winter tire during warm weather.

·
Registered
5,509 Posts
Get the Pirelli Snowcontrol3

·
Registered
884 Posts
No cracking on any of my P1's riding below 45F or sitting in shed in below 32F. Hoping to ride to town tomorrow and it might be 36-38F when i leave.
I had way more problems with motorcycle tires cracking BADLY.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I have been running Summer Performance tires such as the Nexen, Yokohama and Kuhmo Ecsta for years here in Connecticut and I ride all year as long as the roads are dry. In fact I made a 200mi Christmas Day ride at 22deg. I have never found cracks in my tires and I put an average 15,000mi on the Kuhmo's and 20,000 on the Nexen's & Yoko's.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
First off, you're talking about a car tire on a motorcycle, I doubt the warranty will apply anyway. Beyond that, I've run a Pirelli P1 for 2 seasons now, over 14,000 miles on it, have definitely ridden below 45* , and when it's stored, it's in my unheated garage, often below freezing. No cracks to be found anywhere. It will probably crack from old age before it cracks from temps below 45. There's always the Pirelli Sno Control, of course then you are running a Winter tire during warm weather.
I'm not new to a car tire on a motorcycle, been doing it for the last 8 years on couple of Michelin Primacy Alpins, not concerned about the warranty that was just a quote in the tire rack description. The compound cracking got my attention, haven't seen a warning like that before. Just want others to share there experience with the tire before I decide to buy one. You bring up a good point about the Pirelli SC, riding on a winter tire in the summer, there is no warning about avoiding those temperatures.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've been running my P1 for the past couple of years, often down to 40 degrees or so, but rarely below that. I am aware that it will not be as pliable in colder temps, so I use the throttle accordingly. That said, I have never had it slide out on me, and it remains planted well. I don't have any cracking either, and it's stored in an unheated garage.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts