GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a little over 13,000 miles on it and doubt if it will go past 14,000 miles.I don't think I'm hard on tires but I thought I get more miles out of this tire then I did,I ran it at 30-32 and I ride two up most of the time and it wore evenly.

I'm looking at three tires,the Primacy Alpin PA3 ZP,Kumho ECSTA and the Ecopia ep100 which I understand has a stiff sidewall for a NRF. Has anyone run all three and which wore better?

·
DSI Keeper
9,172 Posts
Bob, I have a Ecopia mounted on my bike right now. Been playing in the mountains with it the last month or so. I normally get anywhere between 8 - 10 thousand out of my Pirelli's but I am thinking this Ecopia will go further. It is a LRR (Low Resistance Rolling) tire and I think you will like it.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bob, I have a Ecopia mounted on my bike right now. Been playing in the mountains with it the last month or so. I normally get anywhere between 8 - 10 thousand out of my Pirelli's but I am thinking this Ecopia will go further. It is a LRR (Low Resistance Rolling) tire and I think you will like it.
I was leaning that way because of it handling more like a MC tire and from what you and a couple others had posted,Thanks Murgie

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Tire wear has never been a consideration, but if so, never had one of any brand yet go past 11K. And that one was a Eufori I took to California and up to Canada and down the east coast to home. It had a lot of easy miles on it, some kinda fast on some interstates.

Never had any of them go much past 9K and I see all these posts with over 20 K on a tire and really do not know how that happens.

Never has for me.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tire wear has never been a consideration, but if so, never had one of any brand yet go past 11K. And that one was a Eufori I took to California and up to Canada and down the east coast to home. It had a lot of easy miles on it, some kinda fast on some interstates.

Never had any of them go much past 9K and I see all these posts with over 20 K on a tire and really do not know how that happens.

Never has for me.
LOL,that always puzzled me too,I never went past 6,000 miles on any MC tire on my previous 1800's until I went to the Traxxion suspension.
Kit are you running a MC rear tire now?

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
I have a little over 13,000 miles on it and doubt if it will go past 14,000 miles.I don't think I'm hard on tires but I thought I get more miles out of this tire then I did,I ran it at 30-32 and I ride two up most of the time and it wore evenly.

I'm looking at three tires,the Primacy Alpin PA3 ZP,Kumho ECSTA and the Ecopia ep100 which I understand has a stiff sidewall for a NRF. Has anyone run all three and which wore better?
First, I've only tried one of those -- the Kumho. So I can't compare among them, but I can compare the mileage that I'm getting on the Kumho to the mileage I got on MTs.

Unlike real men, like Kit and others who are surprised to get more than 10k on a set of tires, my experience has tended to run in the 16k-18k range on MTs, and seems to be on track for a similar run on my Kumho -- I'm at about 12.5k now and it looks like it's about half done. Since the last 'half' goes away faster than the first 'half', I estimate that I'll hit 16-18k.**

As always, the usual 'ifs' apply: If your personal style of riding includes hard acceleration, braking, and cornering and you ride on rough surfaces and/or heavily loaded (2-up), your typical mileage -- on any tire -- will be less. On the other end of the comparison if you tend to be a bit less 'spirited', ride on smooth roads and ride lightly loaded, you'll get more miles.

And finally, as has often been said by those who use RF CTs, mileage is only one factor in tire selection. I value the safety of a RF, the traction on wet and dry roads, and the smooth ride above claims of increased distance between tire replacement.

Good luck in your selection -- and enjoy!

**I ran 34-35psi for the first 6k, which may have resulted in a bit more wear in the center of the tread.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Bob, I agree with Murgie's assessment. Murgie and I ride together quite a bit and until recently he ran the Pirelli and I run the Kumho. We both got about the same mileage. Like Murgie, I too am running a Ecopia right now. Unlike Murgie, I have put a bunch of slab mile on the Ecopia and when I have been on the slab have kept the Ecopia at 34 psi. The Ecopia sidewall's are too lightweight for me to play in the curves without kicking the pressure up to 38-39 psi. Because I am adjusting the pressure on the Ecopia to suit the road I am riding, I think I'll get way more mileage out of the Ecopia than I did on the Kumho.

I can't say the sidewall of the Ecopia is any thicker (or more supportive) than any other NRF. It is one weird tire for me to get used to. I do believe if you have a rapid loss of air in the Ecopia, you'll get to find out how well you can pilot the big girl.

One other thing. Yesterday Murgie was probably wondering why I had the nose of my faring stuck up under his trunk box....I was trying to see how much of the Ecopia actually stayed on the ground during cornering. Just by eyeballing it, I think the Ecopia has quite a bit more tread on the ground during hard cornering than either the Kumho or the Pirelli. That sort of makes sense based on jwolffie's explanation of how the sidewalls of the Ecopia actually squish on one side while stretching on the other side to keep more of a contact patch.

I have not tried the Michelin (I am not a fan of a winter tire) so no input there. Good luck.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
LOL,that always puzzled me too,I never went past 6,000 miles on any MC tire on my previous 1800's until I went to the Traxxion suspension.
Kit are you running a MC rear tire now?
At the moment an Avon Cobra, but I think late this evening I will put the Pirelli back on. I think we are going to go Tue/Wed and ride the NC area. Or maybe to the coast starting to cool off a bit now. I switch back and forth, run the Avon more and more. But two up always the ROF. I was real interested in the Michelin Primancy or whatever it is, till I saw someone say the same things, extra steer, a bit of walk on uneven surfaces, and having tried for or five brands, that answered it for me, they are all the same, more or less air and tune them to your feel and all is good. One or the other one and the same, just add or take air till it suits you.
Suppose I will stick with the Eufori. That one I know is indestructible. I run it at 36 psi, it wears even, I really do not ride real fast in the curves anymore, but do not dawdle at intersections and coming out of a curve, I may enter it around 40 and come out at 70.....is that dawdling or a bit more.....Lol!! If I can see through it I will play. Those that I cannot see through I just roll around and look for rocks, gravel, cars stopped , pigs, bears, bicycles, and turtles. :lol: Unless someone is in front of me , I figure they will hit the turtle first. If I see brake lights I need to slow down.

Both a CT and a MC tire have things I like about each. Each is different , one up I prefer the MC tire its balance and the way you just think and the bike goes. Two up I like the stability and safety and traction of the ROF. Two up it also adds a bit of stability at stops. And you have power steering coming out of a curve, just a slight shift of weight and the bike will come right up all by itself.

But one up, MC tire, Traxxion, and Centramatics, hard to beat that. I keep a good tire though, all of them get changed before the wear bars. I have no desire to be a statistic. And I check them daily, and I know just at a glance the normal footprint of front and rear and if a ROF gets about 10 psi low I can feel it. Just shifting your weight to pass a car I can tell. But I am in tune with the bike, no radio, none of that, just the sound and feel of the bike, I can listen to the radio in the work truck. So I know the least little thing that is not normal .

Kit

·
Registered
19,161 Posts

Never has for me.
Like this Kit!:lol::lol::lol::lol:

·
Premium Member
31,975 Posts

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
I need to go back and revisit the post I made in post 7 above.

After trading a few PMs with Murgie, I went out and carefully reviewed the Ecopia EP100. Here is the scoop.

Tire has 7,225 miles and at least half of those are slab miles. Remaining tread = 7.5/32 on the sides and 8/32 center.

We hit the curves pretty hard yesterday so I was not surprised to see the rubber chewed up on the edges. However, I was surprised to find a very fine crack, (both sides of tire) that runs radially around the tire, where the tread meets the sidewall.

For now I am giving the EP100 a thumbs down.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

After trading a few PMs with Murgie, I went out and carefully reviewed the Ecopia EP100. Here is the scoop.

Tire has 7,225 miles and at least half of those are slab miles. Remaining tread = 7.5/32 on the sides and 8/32 center.

We hit the curves pretty hard yesterday so I was not surprised to see the rubber chewed up on the edges. However, I was surprised to find a very fine crack, (both sides of tire) that runs radially around the tire, where the tread meets the sidewall.

Good catch! Maybe there's another run flat in my future after all

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Wow Travel, that don't sound to healthy!:eek:4:

·
Registered
307 Posts

Funny you should mention the crack. I just removed my Ecopia100 after only about 1000 miles of hard riding both on flat roads and some twisties and I noticed it had the crack also! This was my first CT to try so I have been giving it the true test. Can't say that I really like it compared to a MT. I don't like the way it wants to stand up after exiting a turn. I also didn't like that it made my foot pegs drag much more easily in turns. I just put on a new Falken 912 last week and so far I like the feel of this tire much more. I don't feel the stand up effect as bad as the Ecopia and it also feels better in the turns ( much more like a MT than the Ecopia ). I am leaving in two weeks for a 6500 mile trip to California and will give this Falken the test. I think I will join you in giving the Ecopia a thumbs down!
Anyone want to buy a slightly used Ecopia 100 to try!

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Funny you should mention the crack. I just removed my Ecopia100 after only about 1000 (wow-only 1000 miles and a crack-you must of been flogging the heck out of that thing) miles of hard riding both on flat roads and some twisties and I noticed it had the crack also! This was my first CT to try so I have been giving it the true test. Can't say that I really like it compared to a MT. I don't like the way it wants to stand up after exiting a turn (the Kumho will want to stand up more than the Ecopia-FYI). I also didn't like that it made my foot pegs drag much more easily in turns (Neither Murgie or I cared for the extra dragging of parts). I just put on a new Falken 912 last week and so far I like the feel of this tire much more (the Falken is a great handling, lightweight tire but I couldn't squeeze enough miles out of it). I don't feel the stand up effect as bad as the Ecopia and it also feels better in the turns ( much more like a MT than the Ecopia ). I am leaving in two weeks for a 6500 mile trip to California and will give this Falken the test. I think I will join you in giving the Ecopia a thumbs down!
Anyone want to buy a slightly used Ecopia 100 to try!
Good luck on your ride and keep a close watch on the center tread of the Falken for premature wear. You may have to adjust it during your ride.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Just thought I'd post on the Ecopia topic once again to make sure I am not misleading anyone.

Right now the crack I mentioned above is so small (smaller than a hair), that I don't want to call it a separation. Although I have another tire on its way, I plan to ride the Ecopia some more to see if I can get the crack to separate even further.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just thought I'd post on the Ecopia topic once again to make sure I am not misleading anyone.

Right now the crack I mentioned above is so small (smaller than a hair), that I don't want to call it a separation. Although I have another tire on its way, I plan to ride the Ecopia some more to see if I can get the crack to separate even further.
Is it really worth the risk?

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
If anyone can handle it, you can Travel!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts