GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I rode my wing from Ohio to Arkansas. Before leaving I installed a Pirelli P1. I put 2386 miles on during that trip and rode allot of twisty roads along the way.

I must say, this is another great tire for running the dark side. It did seem to follow road contours more than the Pirelli SC RF. But all in all worked well in wet and dry pavement.

You guys have sold me on running a CT.

Attachments

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,503 Posts
Glad you enjoyed your trip to Arkansas. These curvy roads are wonderful, rolling that throttle out of the curves is a joy. Especially with that CT removing most of the worry about grip between the tire and pavement! :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,968 Posts

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Looks nice, but I have a stigma about asymmetrical tread patterns on a darkside application. I know many have said it doesn't matter, but when the tread engaging the pavement is different left-to-right, to me something isn't the way it should be. Maybe it's not noticeable, but technically it'll make a difference in the available traction and wear characteristics and possibly the handling as well. If the bike leans in both directions, the tread should be the same on both sides. That's why when they mount these on cars, the tire is labeled to indicate which side is "out" according to lateral forces on the sidewall and tread. Maybe I'll just order it, shut up and take what it throws at me. :shrug:

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Looks nice, but I have a stigma about asymmetrical tread patterns on a darkside application. I know many have said it doesn't matter, but when the tread engaging the pavement is different left-to-right, to me something isn't the way it should be. Maybe it's not noticeable, but technically it'll make a difference in the available traction and wear characteristics and possibly the handling as well. If the bike leans in both directions, the tread should be the same on both sides. That's why when they mount these on cars, the tire is labeled to indicate which side is "out" according to lateral forces on the sidewall and tread. Maybe I'll just order it, shut up and take what it throws at me. :shrug:
I've put about 1000 miles on the new to me P1. Overall it handles well enough compared to the Bridgestone mt tire I replaced. It does have some issues but none of any great concern. It can be a bit wonky when travelling over uneven pavement. There's a short section of road not far from where I live that has a very distinct sharp crown all along the center of the road. It's actually quite entertaining to ride the crown and feel the wonky pull of the tire. I almost dumped the bike this past weekend as I very slowly maneuvered along a short section of a pot-holed, dirt road. I've gone over this section of road several times in the past with the mt tire without issue. Your comments about the asymmetrical tread pattern struck me as it seems as though the bike has a tendency to lean ever so slightly to the left even while travelling along in a straight line on flat pavement. It feels like riding with a cross wind. The feeling is so slight that I keep telling myself it must just be my imagination. I'm tempted to mount the mt tire I took off, mount it on a spare rim I have and alternate back and forth between the two tires to see if I can better detect the slight changes in handling.

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
That slight left lean you feel is due to the construction of an "inside/outside" tire. Those tires have a more conical shaped body with the outside being slightly smaller in circumference than the inside. If you lay a Styrofoam cup on its side, imagine the small end is outside and the larger is inside. In a car when you turn left, it causes the tire to lay over on the smaller side, placing the maximum amount of tread on the road surface which in turn helps the car turn, while the right side tires are on the taller shoulder, providing less friction with the road surface and raising the right side and leaning the car toward the left corner. That's why they put these style tires on performance cars, it enhances the cars ability to turn. That difference in circumference is very minor, but on a bike, since the tire is wide and flat, it tends to want to ride on the entire tread, thus the left lean. Now when riding on a road with a bit of road crown, you'll tend to be more straight up. All that aside, the P1 still handles very well. This is probably why so many folks like the Driveguard or Snow control, their tread being symmetrical, they're closer to the uniform shape of a MT and thus handle a little better.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I have got about 40,000 miles so far on the P1's I really like them. I just installed a Pirelli Snow control on my F6B. not sure how much difference there is but by the seat of my pants I like the P1 better. Not sure why but I hit a tar snake in a corner couple weeks ago on the snow control and rear slid out just a little. nothing major but I felt it and never had that happy on any of the P1 I have ran.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ghost Rider, how many miles do you usually get out of a P1?

I only got a little over 10k on the SC, so I’m hoping to do better with the P1.

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
Mileage varies, depending on who and how they're ridden. I've got about 14,000 on mine right now, and have about 4/32" left on the tread. I can see 4 to 5 thousand more miles depending on how crazy I get. The SC being a Winter tire with softer compounds, tends to wear faster, but handling is reported to be very good.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mileage varies, depending on who and how they're ridden. I've got about 14,000 on mine right now, and have about 4/32" left on the tread. I can see 4 to 5 thousand more miles depending on how crazy I get. The SC being a Winter tire with softer compounds, tends to wear faster, but handling is reported to be very good.
The SC was extremely good and I really liked that tire. I'll see how this P1 does, if I get better mileage I'll stick with it. If not I'll go back to the SC or try the Bridgestone DG.

·
IronMan
17,105 Posts
NOW YOUR TALKING !! = LAST LINE ! :wink2::laugh:

·
IronMan
17,105 Posts
Run couple dg 's and got over 20,000 on both .

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
P1

I've put about 1000 miles on the new to me P1. Overall it handles well enough compared to the Bridgestone mt tire I replaced. It does have some issues but none of any great concern. It can be a bit wonky when travelling over uneven pavement. There's a short section of road not far from where I live that has a very distinct sharp crown all along the center of the road. It's actually quite entertaining to ride the crown and feel the wonky pull of the tire. I almost dumped the bike this past weekend as I very slowly maneuvered along a short section of a pot-holed, dirt road. I've gone over this section of road several times in the past with the mt tire without issue. Your comments about the asymmetrical tread pattern struck me as it seems as though the bike has a tendency to lean ever so slightly to the left even while travelling along in a straight line on flat pavement. It feels like riding with a cross wind. The feeling is so slight that I keep telling myself it must just be my imagination. I'm tempted to mount the mt tire I took off, mount it on a spare rim I have and alternate back and forth between the two tires to see if I can better detect the slight changes in handling.
I can ride for miles with my hands off the bars with the P1. (Not that I would ever take my hands off the bars for even a second!) Since I put the Traxxion triple tree on my bike, it does not pull either left or right unless my saddle bags are loaded very unevenly.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Almost every time a thread talks about a CT the conversation usually gets around to how much mileage you can get out of the particular tire. There so many variables involved it is amazing. I am at 24k on my present P1 and ain't even thinking about replacing it. Besides riding style, I think the types of roads you ride on makes the most difference on how many miles you get. Most of my mileage is out of the state of Florida. I have a trip to DV, a trip to Rockies Gold and two trips to Texas on the present one. The rest of the miles is local stuff in Florida and Georgia. That being said just about all is long rides which I think makes a lot of difference also. Therefore as it has been said before "your mileage will vary".

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Almost every time a thread talks about a CT the conversation usually gets around to how much mileage you can get out of the particular tire. There so many variables involved it is amazing. I am at 24k on my present P1 and ain't even thinking about replacing it. Besides riding style, I think the types of roads you ride on makes the most difference on how many miles you get. Most of my mileage is out of the state of Florida. I have a trip to DV, a trip to Rockies Gold and two trips to Texas on the present one. The rest of the miles is local stuff in Florida and Georgia. That being said just about all is long rides which I think makes a lot of difference also. Therefore as it has been said before "your mileage will vary".
I understand Capt. But I just like to see where I am at compared to everyone else. I do ride a bit spirited at times and occasionally with my wife on the back. Honestly, this trip is the longest bike ride I have ever completed. Though I ride around 15K miles a year, most of that is back and forth to work (60 miles one way) The mileage is important, but I think the safety is more important and I completely agree road condition play into that. :grin2:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts