GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read about Pirelli CT's. I think I am going that direction. I heard the "V" handles better. Eufori (ultra high perf summer), is this the tire used in size 195/55/16??

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
I read about Pirelli CT's. I think I am going that direction. I heard the "V" handles better. Eufori (ultra high perf summer), is this the tire used in size 195/55/16??
Yes, 195 55 16 is what most run!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
The V speed rated Pirelli [email protected] weighs 25 pounds. The H rated Pirelli [email protected] weighs 20 pounds. My experience with different tires says the lighter, 20 pound H rated tire will handle better. And the H rated tire is usually cheaper.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The V speed rated Pirelli [email protected] weighs 25 pounds. The H rated Pirelli [email protected] weighs 20 pounds. My experience with different tires says the lighter, 20 pound H rated tire will handle better. And the H rated tire is usually cheaper.
What does the E3 (180) Weigh?? I think the factory E3 is a 160, but the 180 fits. Did I get that right?

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
OEM tire is a 180 60 16. I think most weigh around 19-20lbs.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
I ran the V rated Pirelli [email protected] I am now on V rated Kuhmo Ecsta SPT XRP (both 195/55R16) and find the Kuhmo a much nicer handling tire (easier turning and less reactive to road camber/debris). They both weigh in at 25lbs (about 5lbs more than the OEM MT).

The Pirelli served me well though. I got 12.5k miles out of it before I replaced it (still had 1/32 tread left to wear bar). I ran that tire 2-up heavily loaded and it performed flawlessly. I positive first CT experience for me. You certainly can't go wrong with that tire.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I am running the "H" rated Pirelli now, and really like the ride. This is my first CT and I have a Kuhmo mounted to try for my second CT.

I don't think you will be wrong with either tire.

Enjoy and God Bless.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info from all!!
I was wandering, which, Kumo or Pirelli have a more rounded edge? Are they close or is there a visual difference??

·
Registered
879 Posts
Great tire. You will love the safe, smooth, quiet ride.:22yikes:

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
I have always run the H rated up to 135 mph.I never get the chance to run 149 with the V so I didn't try that one out.Law enforcement is good with 135,but 149 is a little over the top for them in these parts.:shrug:

Guys who have run the V also reported less mileage.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Hmmm that's a good observation! Perhaps the H rated Pirelli will run longer than the V. :shrug:

I only got 12.5k on the V rated [email protected] Could have easily gone another 1-2k but with a long trip coming up, I replaced it early. (1/32 left until wear bars)

I'd have to run an H rated [email protected] to see if I got better wear than I did with the V rated tire. I think the Kuhmo I have on now is V rated so I'll be interested to see how it wears in comparison to the similarly rated [email protected]

I have always run the H rated up to 135 mph.I never get the chance to run 149 with the V so I didn't try that one out.Law enforcement is good with 135,but 149 is a little over the top for them in these parts.:shrug:

Guys who have run the V also reported less mileage.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Personally I liked the V rated Pirelli better then the H rated i have on now. Maybe my butt was trying to justify the extra money i spent on it!:oops: It turned in better for me and felt smoother at 32 psi. It would still be on my bike if the bead hadn't been ruined by a A-Hole tech putting a inside plug and patch in it:evil:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Interesting. v handled good but got less miles. H lasted longer. I also, like Rocky, will not be going 149mph. But, does the V compound make the handling that much better? I'm sure this question has as many answers as Quaker has oats!!
Thanks for your inputs.
Now to choose the tire and size.

·
Registered
393 Posts
As a tire goes up in speed rating they add more plys or sometimes tighter belts and/or/ different rubber, they need something to keep the tire from expanding at higher speed. there is a lot of centrifugal force stored in a tire. With a Pirelli run flat it turns at 850 RPM at 60 MPH, but at 120 MPH it is turning 1700 RPM. Rubber needs to be heavily reinforced to spin really fast. That is why the V rated tire is 5 lbs heavier, it can spin faster.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
I am pretty sure the H rated Pirelli can run 120 mph as long as you want to. I have had both and couldn't tell a difference.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts