GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator
4,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been running Bridgestone Potenzas for a long time. I want to try the Pirilli P1 for I’ve read that it is not as affected by surface irregularities as are most car tires. I tried to order from my local tire dealer from whom I’ve been getting my Darkside tires mounted. They did manage to find two of them in their warehouse so I told him I’d take one. He then noticed that instead of the UTOG rating of 420 these have only a 185 UTOG rating. I told him to hold off until further notice.

Is this the P1 that everybody is using? I can’t imagine getting any kind of mileage out of a tire with a UTOG rating that low so I’m questioning whether or not this is the standard P1.

I’ve been unable to find the Pirilli P1 listed on the normal tire websites, so I’m not even sure it is still being made.

·
Administrator
4,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just found it on Tire Rack after all. They do show the Pirelli Cinturato P1 runflat, and it has a UTOG of 420.

My dealer did say they have been having a hard time getting tires lately, just like many other commodities seem in short supply.

JW, I did misspell it but even so I was on the right websites. I just had my head up my butt and overlooked it, I guess!! 😀

·
Premium Member
2,963 Posts
I just found it on Tire Rack after all. They do show the Pirelli Cinturato P1 runflat, and it has a UTOG of 420.

My dealer did say they have been having a hard time getting tires lately, just like many other commodities seem in short supply.

JW, I did misspell it but even so I was on the right websites. I just had my head up my butt and overlooked it, I guess!! 😀
Glen, you gonna love that tire. You will wind up throwing rocks at everything else.

·
Administrator
4,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Glen, you gonna love that tire. You will wind up throwing rocks at everything else.
I've read your reviews, and they were a BIG factor in trying the Pirelli. I love the darkside except for the bump-steer aspect. It once even dumped me in a parking lot at slow speed!

·
Registered
2019 Goldwing non tour DCT
274 Posts
I’ve been running Bridgestone Potenzas for a long time. I want to try the Pirilli P1 for I’ve read that it is not as affected by surface irregularities as are most car tires. I tried to order from my local tire dealer from whom I’ve been getting my Darkside tires mounted. They did manage to find two of them in their warehouse so I told him I’d take one. He then noticed that instead of the UTOG rating of 420 these have only a 185 UTOG rating. I told him to hold off until further notice.

Is this the P1 that everybody is using? I can’t imagine getting any kind of mileage out of a tire with a UTOG rating that low so I’m questioning whether or not this is the standard P1.

I’ve been unable to find the Pirilli P1 listed on the normal tire websites, so I’m not even sure it is still being made.
I think its UTQG and the lower rating just means not as many miles. This is a good thing because the tire is a little softer and sticks better. To me, that's a plus.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
I think its UTQG and the lower rating just means not as many miles. This is a good thing because the tire is a little softer and sticks better. To me, that's a plus.
EXACTLY!!! The P1 is NOT a mileage tire. It is a performance tire. If folks are looking for a mileage tire, there are several runflat tires in the 25-pound weight range that will serve you well, such as the DriveGuard. This 21-pound runflat tire is tailor made for high performance in the twisties, having great wet and dry grip. Its flickability in compound curves is unique to runflat tires. For where I live and how I ride, I get 6000 to 8000 miles, and have a wide smile the whole time. It is a misapplication of this tire to expect high mileage or to use it in a double-dark set-up.

Reactions: schnits and JoeHall

·
Registered
8,099 Posts
Glen, I've got a brand-new, just delivered P1 sitting in the garage. Now don't tell Jeff I've got it, he thinks I put it in the burn pile 😈.

But I'll mount it up and have it waiting here for you 😉.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I just bought another P1 for $127 on online tires.com. Tire rack wanted $153

Reactions: Walrus

·
Registered
8,099 Posts
Reactions: Capt. Bob

·
Registered
2019 Goldwing non tour DCT
274 Posts
EXACTLY!!! The P1 is NOT a mileage tire. It is a performance tire. If folks are looking for a mileage tire, there are several runflat tires in the 25-pound weight range that will serve you well, such as the DriveGuard. This 21-pound runflat tire is tailor made for high performance in the twisties, having great wet and dry grip. Its flickability in compound curves is unique to runflat tires. For where I live and how I ride, I get 6000 to 8000 miles, and have a wide smile the whole time. It is a misapplication of this tire to expect high mileage or to use it in a double-dark set-up.
Elrod, its damn good to see a name I'm familiar with brother. I know you don't know me but I've been to a few of the ride'ins and have not been on here too much in the last couple years. I'm still riding a fair amount and remembering the things you and Murgie and Monk taught me even if it seemed like I wasn't paying attention.I traded in my 2012 Wing (200K) and got a new hip to go with the 2019 GW so I gonna try to catch up with y'all on one of the rides in the near future. If rehab goes well I'm thinking maybe the fall ride in is a strong possibility. Be careful out there.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I'm running the Cinturato P1 now, I like it a lot better than the Driveguard
Just purchased another from the above posted link.
Thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts