GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife, bless her, bought me a Pit Bull lift for Christmas. It is equipped with the optional turntable and it has the air over hydraulic jack. I don't have a compressor, and all sales are final. Can anyone suggest an inexpensive compressor that can operate the lift? Are tie downs required with the Pit Bull? Can one or both wheels be removed safely while the bike is on the lift? I have never used a lift before, and with all the holiday activity I haven't been able to get to the garage to examine my present.

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
I have a new Pit Bull but not the air operated one.

I have used it four times and love it. Would you consider a trade and of course I would have to put money to it.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Mike Simonetti said:
Can anyone suggest an inexpensive compressor that can operate the lift?
Compressors can be found in a lot of places, Sears, Home Depot, Lowes, Sam's Club, Costco, some Auto Parts stores. One of my favorite places to buy tools is Northern Tool and they carry an extensive line of compressors. http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/category_6970_87

I looked at the pitbull web site and do not see air requirements for the lift but I can't imagine it being too much. (I have the manual version.) I suspect a relatively small compressor would handle the lift. Some of the air over hydraulic lifts have manual function also.

Are tie downs required with the Pit Bull?
To be coservative tie down straps should be used when doing any work on a bike on a lift. In reality I rarely bother to put them on unless I am going to be putting a lot of strain on the bike like removing the rear wheel or plan on moving the bike around while it is on the lift.

Can one or both wheels be removed safely while the bike is on the lift?
Absolutely, that's one of the main functions of the lift. I use mine a lot for cleaning so I'm not crawling around on my knees. A roll around mechanics stool comes in very handy for working on the bike on the lift. I sometimes put a bike on the lift for working up top too, like removing the shelter. This puts the bike at a more comfortable level for working on it so I'm not constantly leaning over, I guess it is called ergononmics. 8)

·
Registered
300 Posts
Dawg sells them he can most likliy help ya out here to get the info needed.

·
Registered
741 Posts
The ones I have seen that are air operated are also manually capable.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Mike,
I have had the standard hydraulic manual lift for over a year and a half. I have never needed to use tie down straps even when removing both wheels. The Wing is very stable on this lift. As for a compressor sears sells a nice unit that normally retails for about $139 but can be found on sale for $99. This unit should have enough to raise the Pit Bull lift.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I called Pit Bull Lifts a few months ago and asked them that very question. I can't remember the exact number of pounds it takes to work the lift but, the little pancake compressor that I have goes over a hundred lbs. psi and they said that would work....I think it was somewhere in the 70 to 80 lbs. psi range that would work the lift.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts