GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New owner here. I have a standard Pitbull lift that I have used on the Harley for 5 years now I have the Goldwing my question is where do I locate the jack to lift the 'Wing? The pictures I"ve seen appear to have the jack placed rear of the engine. Is this right and if so do I need a shim or block of some type to keep the bike level and stable? Can anyone provide a picture? Thanks Folks!

·
Registered
576 Posts
Dunwell lift

I lift my wing with the rear "flat" under the swingarm pivot hinge. Also have a stainless steel belly pan. No need for pan removal. The Dunwell lift is similar to the Pit bull. It's cold rolled steel and very strong. PS: strap it down if you're removing wheels which will change the balance point.

·
Registered
927 Posts
New owner here. I have a standard Pitbull lift that I have used on the Harley for 5 years now I have the Goldwing my question is where do I locate the jack to lift the 'Wing? The pictures I"ve seen appear to have the jack placed rear of the engine. Is this right and if so do I need a shim or block of some type to keep the bike level and stable? Can anyone provide a picture? Thanks Folks!
From Pitbull's website:

Will the Pitbull Lift work on my GL1800?

Yes, and it has even been rated #1 by Wing World Magazine (largest Goldwing publication). The Goldwing 1800 requires a 1/4 inch shim unless you have added an aftermarket or Tulsa Belly pan. The shim is free with the purchase of a lift. If you have added a belly pan, you do not need the shim. The shim that we have for our lift is simply a 1\4" shim placed on the front lifting rail .The bottom of the 1800 engine has a slight ridge running across it and if you lift the bike without the shim, the bike will rock slightly to the right until it makes contact with the exhaust manifold pipe. You can, without any problems, lift your bike without the shim but will have that slight side to side rock in the bike on top of the lift.

I think they sell the shim, also.

Picture from their website showing placement.

I strongly recommend tying the bike down to the jack, as a safety deal. It's one of those "why not spend a moment" deals.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
When you look under the bike from the right side (opposite side from kick stand) find where the center stand pivot is.

Inserting the lift from the right side.
The pitbull has double pads on each side (see pic below). Let's number those pads for ease of communicating. As you stand behind the lift (handle side) the left most pad on the left arm is #1. The right pad on the left arm is #2.
Place the left edge of pad #2 just forward of the center stand's pivot point. It shouldn't be under the pivot point but just in front of it.

This should give you are pretty level lift.

·
Registered
20,952 Posts
i have a Pitbull lift, got it used a couple of months ago, it takes a little getting used to but once u get it figured out it works great

with the centerstand in the up position roll the lift under from the right side of bike, the far left liftbar #1 goes under the flat bar that is welded to the centerstand, #2 leftside liftbar goes just in front of that flatbar welded to the centerstand-it does not have to touch anything because bar #1 does the lifting on that side, i roll the lift under untill the far right liftbar #4 bumps into the sidestand spring and then roll it back out about 1/2 inch, now it should be ready to lift, its kind of hard to explain but thats what works for me

i looked on Pitbulls website, lots of info there but could not find much helpful information about how to place the Pitbull for lifting a GL1800 :thumbup:

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
I've had a Pitbull for several years and use it at least once a week, some weeks a lot more. It's never failed and I wouldn't sell it for twice what I paid. :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
I had the same question. I always place the jack right next to the sidestand. Pitbull furnishes a shim for the Wing. It will still rock front to back without tying down. You just get used to it.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
When you look under the bike from the right side (opposite side from kick stand) find where the center stand pivot is.

Inserting the lift from the right side.
The pitbull has double pads on each side (see pic below). Let's number those pads for ease of communicating. As you stand behind the lift (handle side) the left most pad on the left arm is #1. The right pad on the left arm is #2.
Place the left edge of pad #2 just forward of the center stand's pivot point. It shouldn't be under the pivot point but just in front of it.

This should give you are pretty level lift.

Yes but the rubber pads get damaged. I like Pit Bull due to it's construction but I am still nervous due to rocking forward and back. I never use tie downs. Probably should.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts