GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For thoes who use this lift how high do you raise your bike when you store it for the winter. It seems that the higher I go up the more steady it gets. And I will strap it down on the lift.

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
I have the lift. I don't use it for storage. The center stand is ideal for storage IMO.

Putting on a lift is just extra work with unknown benefit and potential additional risk.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I use a pitbull to store my 02 on. I roll it all over my garage and have never strapped it down. When I get it as high as I want I have the safety dogs flopped over to hold it. Then I release the pressure on the jack for the winter.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
I have the lift. I don't use it for storage. The center stand is ideal for storage IMO.

Putting on a lift is just extra work with unknown benefit and potential additional risk.
The benefit is you can roll it in a corner or up against a wall as well as move it easily when ever you need to.

I have a J&S Jack and I think it recommends raising the bike as high as it will go because, as the OP stated, the jack is more stable.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Just a thought...
I don't store for winter where I live. But my thinking is that if the bike is stored up on a lift, it will be just a bit higher for rodents to jump up on-into, and also make it easier to leave plenty of sticky traps around on the floor below the bike.:wink2: But then again... where I live we can have earthquakes!

Corventure Dave

·
Registered
975 Posts
The one time I had my GL1800 on a lift for a few months, I only had it high enough so that the tires were off the ground a few inches. I think it was on the first safety lock position.

It made it easier to move it around the garage for access to things and made for easy storage.

Yes, the higher up it is, the more stable it is because of the way the lift is constructed. The same with the J&S jack. But, stability is not really an issue. It is stable enough at any position.

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
I lift my bike only so tires are off floor no more then an inch.....

(I'm thinking about doing the hibernation thingy this week end)

Ronnie

Time to pull out my snow skies!

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
The benefit is you can roll it in a corner or up against a wall as well as move it easily when ever you need to.

I have a J&S Jack and I think it recommends raising the bike as high as it will go because, as the OP stated, the jack is more stable.
Interesting. Living in the south, I am probably just in a different situation. I typically find a few days in the middle of winter to ride so my Winter and Summer storage / parking location is the same. As such putting on a lift would just be a hassle without much benefit except maybe getting the small load off the front tire.

Would probably be different if I moved the Wing to the corner and got the Snowmobile out. I'm sure I'd use the lift and roll the bike into a corner in that scenario.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
Interesting. Living in the south, I am probably just in a different situation. I typically find a few days in the middle of winter to ride so my Winter and Summer storage / parking location is the same. As such putting on a lift would just be a hassle without much benefit except maybe getting the small load off the front tire.

Would probably be different if I moved the Wing to the corner and got the Snowmobile out. I'm sure I'd use the lift and roll the bike into a corner in that scenario.
Right now my "problem" is I have two GoldWings. I'm fitting those, a truck and a Caddy, along with a Bunkhouse tent trailer, in my normal sized 2-car garage. I figured a way to get both Wings in and out without having to move anything else so I'm happy with that. I've ridden my Wings year round so I haven't really stored them either but the last couple of winters have been worse than usual.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts