GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a sears lift, but the wing sure doesn't feel stable. How does the Pitbull do?

·
Registered
550 Posts
Rock firgg'in stable. I Looked at a Sears lift, and boy am I happy I bought a PitBull from Bulldog. Order one from him. You won't be sorry.
1der

·
Registered
964 Posts
My Sears lift made me nervous. I bought a used Pitbull and sold my Sears lift to a guy with a DR650. The Pitbull is very stable, I can jack the bike all the way up still easily roll it around.

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
Like anything else you get what you pay for:coffee1:

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Sears Lift #1 (Steel/red&black) 17" max lift, 5" min, need to put rear wheel on board to fit lift under Wing, Wing needs to be strapped down.

Sears Lift #2 (Alum/yellow) 19" max lift (with adapters /17.5" without), 3.5 min (without adapters), Wing needs to be strapped down.

Pit Bull lift (steel) 25" max lift, 3.5 min (easily fits under wing), VERY STABLE, both wheels can be removed without strapping down. My buddy who also has the Pit Bull lift, put his Wing up on the lift all winter with no straps and just engaged the safety locks.

YES, the Pit Bull is more expensive, but it has a footprint that is much larger creating a much more stable platform than the Sears lifts.

For me that additional lift height and stability were well worth the added cost. My old back appreciates it also.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
i wouldnt trust my heavy bike on a sears

i saw the tires get changed while on a pitbull

if you can afford it, that one looks far better

·
Registered
126 Posts
hello

Hello, and as most here have stated, the Pit Bull must be a very good lift and extremely stable. Since I already have a Sears aluminum, and dont use it a lot, but do some mechanical Wing stuff, could the foot print on Sears be increased with square tubing and angle iron, and use existing wheels, just spread out further, and accomplish somewhat more stability with its new wider footprint? Just thinking of easy way to make my Sears jack a little better, and stable. If anyone has already done, would enjoy a pic, and your thoughts on improvement if any. Thanks, Randy

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Here is my pit-bull holding my VTX1800N high enough to get the tire out of of the rear fender well. I sold the "N" to purchase my Wing. The lift uses a 12 ton air powered jack. I haven't tried it with the wing yet:superman1:

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
I have the Sears aluminum and it works fine. I don't use it on a daily, or even monthly basis, so I don't need a $500.00 lift. I have a PepsX stand that I use after I have it in the air, and the combo works just fine. If you don't need a lift to change the oil, or change the tires, how often do you REALLY need a lift? If your answer is "often", then the Pitbull is probably best for you. JMHO

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
For what I do...the Sears lift is fine

If you are gonna change tires or otherwise "yank or pull" on the bike a lot while on the lift go for the Pitbull.

Like Sammy said....if you use it a lot get the product that serves you the most.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
My Sears lift works fine for changing the tires a few times a year. I don't know what else I would need to lift the bike for.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
If you get a Pit Bull you might end up using it far more often than you might initially think. It's so convenient to use that I lift my bike up to check the air in the tires, polish the rims, or do any work on the bike whatsoever...

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
I have both a Sears lift and a Pitbull. I have NOT used the Sears lift once since I bought a Pitbull from Bulldog.
Will a Sears lift work and lift a GL1800? Yep, BUT it is not stable, does NOT fit under the bike unless you run the bike up onto something, bike has to be strapped down. Plus, using a Sears lift will make you nerves on edge while using it.
A Pitbull, will slide under the bike just fine, will lift the bike really high, does NOT need any stinking straps to tie it down, is VERY stable, is very well built, is heavy. Plus, using a Pitbull will make you smile while working on your bike!!!
The Pitbull is worth every penny I paid for it!!!!

·
Notorious Rocket Scientist
5,533 Posts
Greetings!

I had my bike up in the air for four weeks on my Sears lift. I had both wheels on; both wheels on; I even broke torque and re-torqued my rear lug nuts with it up in the air. Didn't have any problems at all.

Maybe some of you are not placing the lift undr the bike correctly?

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I have one I bought at Costco about ten years ago. I can put the Wing on it and roll it around with no tie downs, change tires, etc. But I agree with others, how often are you putting a bike on a lift? Not very often for me, even with two bikes I use it on.

·
Registered
306 Posts
hello
Hello, and as most here have stated, the Pit Bull must be a very good lift and extremely stable. Since I already have a Sears aluminum, and dont use it a lot, but do some mechanical Wing stuff, could the foot print on Sears be increased with square tubing and angle iron, and use existing wheels, just spread out further, and accomplish somewhat more stability with its new wider footprint? Just thinking of easy way to make my Sears jack a little better, and stable. If anyone has already done, would enjoy a pic, and your thoughts on improvement if any. Thanks, Randy

2003 Black GL 1800
Was talking with a welder friend and posed the same question and the answer was yes. will be putting together a plan in the next week or so. will let everyone know how it works. ;)

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
i checked the sears catalogue and cannot find the lift. can someone give me the name of it and or how much it costs

1 - 20 of 21 Posts