GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
i would do two things....I would go to your local automotive paint supplier and get a super fine sanding pad..dont remember the name of it..but is equivalent to 2,500 grit wet and dry sandpaper. Then use that with Bad to the Bone metal polish. Bad is available at most motorcycle web sites. Bad will make your rims look like chrome with minimal work. Its a liquid and very easy to use. after the pits are gone, then just use the Bad.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
cleaning wheels

Use 0000 very fine steel wool with boms away chrome polish. I have my front wheel looking very nice with boms. The back wheel is a different story. I was gonna chrome them but kept hearing the nightmarish stories about the wheel bearings being a headache.
JD
:biker:
Sellersburg, Indiana

·
Registered
173 Posts
In the above posts, the "Bad to the bone" and the "Boms Away" refer to the same product, i.e. "Bombs Away Metal Polish" which is promoted to be "Bad to the Bom"!

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have used nothing but Bom and its fantastic stuff... Keeps the wheels looking almost chromed...
Ride Safe,
Ron,
Spokane :D

·
Registered
891 Posts
BOM

They make both metal polish and cleaner for everything,that's all I use.I use a 1200 ultra fine snand /wet paper to remove sctratches from the rim when changing tires is it arises. I think it will get out pitting too. :roll:

·
Registered
132 Posts
Pitting

being in the military and working on aircraft we always have corrosion issues.... one of the first things you learn is never use steel wool on alum. it will cause corrosion because of the dissimilar metals. use synth or alum wools, or pads like scotch-brite etc.... but don't use steel anything.... polished work good. keeping the brake dust off your wheels helps with the corrosion issues since they have steel in them....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts