GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have and 03 and the valve covers have some pitting. Anyone have a fix for this other than getting new valve covers.
Kuryakyn has a stick on cap that goes on the cover but it's shiny chrome and I would rather keep the stock look or something similar. Anyone use these, do thery stay on and are they a pain when taking the valve covers off? I also have the Mick-0-Pegs and don't want the covers to stick out anymore than they are.
Wondering if there is some kind of buffing, polishing that can be done to make them look better. Thanks Jim

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
houlejames

I have the kury valve covers on my 03 for a long time now they stay on solid had the valve check done recently and i had to use new double
sided tape to put them back on thats all i like the look of chrome :lol: i have
similar to mick o pegs does not interfere with them no worries

Cheers :thumbup:

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
My Kury covers pitted and flaked in just two years. Kept them clean and waxed too. Now, my Kury timing cover is spotless, no flakes, pits or anything. It's hit or miss with Kury items. Mostly miss.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Guess I'll go with the kury as there doesn't seem like many other options. Thanks, Jim

Seeing you want to stay with the stock look,Your best bet would be to have them powder coated silver.

First use paint stripper on them to remove the clear and paint.You'll need to get them nice and clean.And if you have to wet sand out any pitting,now would be the time to get it done.

Doing it this way will save you money from a powder coater..
You can also ride the bike over to a local powder coater for an estimate both ways too.
If they do all the work?,,Or you prep them yourself knowing they will be smooth when you get them back!!

·
Registered
16,491 Posts
I wonder what they werer exposed to that caused the pitting?

prs

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Depending on how deep the pits are a chrome shop could buff them out for you. Before they chrome a piece they have to buff all the pits out. You could have just the buffing done. Maybe around $75 per side. You could get them chromed for $200 per side. Or by new ones not chrome for $300 per side. Buying any type of chrome products is risky as to the quality. You can usually find a chrome shop in your area that will do a much better job than what you will get from Kury. Check out the classic car magazines for company's that polish and or chrome.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The plan at this time is to powder coat them. The pitting is minor surface and will buff out quite easily. Initial estimate is under $100 to powder coat. Thanks everyone for your input. Jim

1 - 12 of 12 Posts