GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Living in VA, both our state vehicle inspection stickers and county tax decals have to be prominently placed on the front left and right forks respectively. On my BMW, I was able to fabricate a plate that I mounted to the front brake caliper bolt on each side for the stickers, which is a much better alternative to permanently afixing them to the fork legs.

On newer Goldwings, I really don't see a viable place to put the stickers, or preferably, a place where I could make a plate for the decals. Has anyone run into the same problem, and if so, what was your solution? If anyone has any pictures they could attach too, I would be eternally grateful.

TIA

·
Registered
10 Posts
Bill,

I put mine on the bottom of passenger floorboards. I usually keep them up (riding solo). Not 100% within NY State Law but at least visible on the proper side of the bike.

BTW - Are you giving up on the LT?

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I mounted a homemade plate on the left side(as you sit on the Wing)front lower crash bar for the Inspection Sticker. Doesn't look great but works well.

Somehow I have forgotten to install the Henrico county sticker though.

VA certainly creates some problems but does have great roads to ride.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
its outside the law, but i would display them inside an envelope in the trunk, and have an i am going to paint it soon story ready if i got hasseled.

we have a two plate law here for cars, and every day i see custom illegal front plates, and it doesnt seem to catch a case.

loren

·
Registered
561 Posts
I know it doesn't directly answer your question, but it is related. I have to put a sticker on for parking where I work, but refused to put it on the luggage near the license plate where they want. Instead I put it on a helmet lock extender and hang the metal bar only when I'm in the work lot.

I wonder if the tags would adhere to the material used for tank slappers? It's clear plastic, comes off easily and can be re-applied without a hassle.

·
Registered
126 Posts
My dealer slipped a plate under the pivot cover on the left side. (About where your left ankle is, when you're riding.) Only down side I've found so far is that it blocks the left cover plate. so that I have to use a wrench to remove it, so that I can remove the left cover plate, so that I can check the coolant level.
and

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have mine on a piece of plexiglass clipped to the dash with a pair of sunglass holders. If I'm parked in a public place and away from the bike for a while I stow it in the trunk. I was told the law in VA for inspection sticker placement on a motorcycle was "left side, forward of the driver, and facing out. I'm trying to comply. . . sort of.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the replies.

VA Rider, I would be grateful to see what you and your dealer have done after you get your camera back. This seems like a great solution...if not, I'll just do what Barry Fagan does and put them on the bottom of the passenger floorboards.

Regards,

1 - 8 of 8 Posts