GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of us are planing a ride up the OR WA coast, across to Victoria, out Vancouver Island to Port Hard, ride the Canadian ferry to Prince Rupert, then over the Yellowhead highway thru Prince George to Banff and Castle Junction, back to Missoula to the Willowa and Blue mts in OR, then home.

The US I understand. What kind of roads are on Vancouver Island, and what do I expect when I leave Prince Rupert to Prince George and thru the Canadian National Park system? Motels available? Do ferries and bike get along? It will be late June early July. Any info is appreciated, or links to someones picture web site.

As I have noted, half the fun is in the planning, the rest of the fun is in changing those plans.

Email is [email protected]

Ride like there is no tomorrow. One day you will be right.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Been through there a couple of times on our way to Alaska. The road from Rupert to Prince George and further east is like any road you would find in the U.S. We have found that even when construction is encountered, they pack the road fairly well and we have not had any issue with it. The best thing is they always have brought the m/c's to the front of the line.

I have not rode the Canadien Ferry, but on the Alaska Marine Ferry system they park the bikes in the front or back of the Ferry seperated from the cars/trucks. We take tiedowns to stabilize the m/c in case of rolling waters. This has always worked fine.

This is very scenic country you will riding through. Enjoy.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Post Subject: planning a ride thru'BC

IR Harry: Iive in a suburb of Vancouver (Abbotsford BC) and could possibly shed some light on you query. Vancouver Island is a very beautiful area to cycle thru. Victoria is a city with an Old-English flavour and would be a great place to tour for a day or so. Getting there, you would board a BC Ferry from the Vanc. area. A 1 1/2 hr trip and you're on the Island. Victoria is the capital city of B.C and the legislative buildings are in the center of the City. The Island is a favourite destination for motorcyclists and the clilmate is very moderate throughout the Spring to Fall seasons. The trip up the Island is gorgeous and the roads are ideal--paved and four-lane for the most part. You'd get on the ferry again at the end of the Island and land in Prince Rupert--a quaint fishing port. The road from P.R inland is also excellent (Hwy 16)to Jasper National Park. There you would go south to Banff Nat Park on the Icefield Highway to Banff--then to Calgary and south again to the US border. Ferrys put m/c's on first before all other traffic(after buses) Motorcycles are on side-stands at all times. There are blocks provided to put under the opposite side. A good idea is to put the bike in reverse when stopped to avoid rolling back and forth. There are motels all along the way at convenient intervals and are no problem. If you plan to stop over in a National Park , you require a permit($10) which you buy at a Park Gate. If I can be of any help, just email me at [email protected]. Glad to help. In the spring and summer I'm usually away but home on most weekends. Hope this is of some help to you
Regards Dale

·
Registered
317 Posts
Welcome to my backyard! Last summer we did Calgary to Prince Rupert then down to the Island and back home to Calgary.
You will find all of the roads comparable or better than what you are used to and probably lighter in traffic as well.
The ferry from Prince Rupert to Port Hardy runs every other day, leaves at 7 am and gets in at 11:30 pm. If you want a cabin, no outside views, then you need to book ahead. You can also book a "business class" sized seat. If you don't want either then you should have no problem getting on the ferry without a reservation. Check out the BC ferries website.
You should have hotel reservations at Port Hardy and in Prince Rupert. Especially if you are going from PR to PH.
Once you are in Prince Rupert make sure you have your rain gear as it is beautiful old growth rain forest. You won't have problems with accomodations anywhere else. In Jasper and Banff the tours will fill up the hotels so again if you are planning ahead you can save some $$ by booking over the internet.
Writing this is sure no cure for PMS! LOL
I'll get out my maps and give you some roads to check out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts