GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am finishing a 2 weeks class at Corning museum of glass next Friday. I have wanted (because I've heard) to travel the finger lakes area above Corning. Anyone have some favorite roads and a couple of campgrounds.
Much appreciated
Steve
From Minnesota

·
Registered
129 Posts
This route will take you through most of the good country in the Finger Lakes. There are lots of places to stop and see sights along the way so take your time. There are several campgrounds along the southern end of the lakes. You will more than likely end up in a motel towards the north:

Go north on 414 through Watkins Glen to Seneca Falls. There are races at the Glen this weekend, but you should be okay. The campground will probably be full.
West on 5&20 through Geneva to Rte 14A (not 14).
South on 14A to Penn Yan
Pick up 54 South to Hammondsport
415 West to 53
53 North to Branchport
Italy Valley Road to Naples.

Wineries, waterfalls, overlooks abound so be on the lookout for them. Highlights could include Watkins Glen, Hector Falls (414 north of the Glen), Women's Rights Museum in Seneca Falls, Curtiss Museum in Hammondsport, Naples, Penn Yan. There are dozens of wineries. Many of them will have tours this weekend.

Sorry I too so long to get back to you. I was out camping in the Catskills.

Any questions, PM me or call. I will send pm with my phone number.

Safe Travels

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Cool Lea campground. Near Watkins Glen in Odessa. Small campground but really nice. You can stay on the upper area, right next to bathouses.
http://www.coolleacamp.com/
Ask for a site on the north forty drive. Park at the top and walk down to the store. You'll find out why. A little steep and bumpy. Nice little restaurant in Odessa.
Only about 5 minutes to Watkins Glen.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts