GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most of the camping my wife and I have done has been in state parks or parks around a lake.

When you guys or gals plan a trip how do you decide which places to camp? Do you belong to any of these clubs where you get a discount and if so are they worth it for a few trips a year? Is there a cheap manual with all the parks for the US?

I know some of you make reservations before you leave on the trip and others wing it.

Lots to think about before I start planning my first retirement trip.

Thanks

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
We try to plan stops at the free state parks where available,( which are getting fewer each year :-( ) but use what is convenient to where we are stopping.

·
Registered
111 Posts
free state parks

George
Do you have a listing of the free state parks?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Since you started out with a Sears MoPed, you are probably close to my age. If you are 62 or older, you can get a lifetime pass to National Parks and Federal Recreational Areas with no, or reduced entrance fees. Check on the web for "America The Beautiful"" Senior Pass". The cost for a lifetime pass is $20.00 by mail, or $10.00 in person at the park with no additional annual charge. You do not have to go to the park to get it. You can get it by mail from the Federal Bureau Of Land Management.

·
Registered
236 Posts
campsites

Most of the camping my wife and I have done has been in state parks or parks around a lake.

When you guys or gals plan a trip how do you decide which places to camp? Do you belong to any of these clubs where you get a discount and if so are they worth it for a few trips a year? Is there a cheap manual with all the parks for the US?

I know some of you make reservations before you leave on the trip and others wing it.

Lots to think about before I start planning my first retirement trip.

Thanks
Always 'Wing it' but pencil several sites on map in approximate landing area. Like to come in in daylight and get set up/explore. There are sites that even describe campgrounds and facilities trails.com, etc. Have pulled into mom and pops like arrival in heaven and unexpected treasures a good deal away from main roads. Have found that reducing expectations e.g., distance per day, the general 'gottas' and plain ole anxietal inertia is the best formula for huge fun. Time schedules on a motorcycle trip can make for some questionable decisions. To me gas, road conditions and weather are paramount. In 30 years of MC camping my list follows:
1. When in doubt, leave it out!
2. Is this the lightest version of.....?
3. What can 'double/triple'...e.g., a quick-dry bicycle shirt for hot day riding, bicycling, and golf! Yes, I pull bicycles but rent the clubs and a resort room courseside for that! Bring lite golf shoes if you must. Q-D pants/zip-off legs. Leathers on bike all else in trailer rear.
4. Highly compressable down comforter or bag/compressor stuff sack.
5. Plastic covered food/condiment box doubles as wash basin. 24 film canisters/spices in card. outback oven or lightweight omelet/saute pan. coffee/tea press. wire whisk. lexan utinsels. led lantern. headlamps. and many small things of no consequential weight...strings, etc.
6. 12 volt electric 36 qt. cooler on tongue for cold drinks, lunches and fresh meat and vegs., fruits, artisan breads, etc...a fun part of the trip...Shopping!
7. Spare tire under rear (helps bal. cooler tongue weight).
8. Have a 2-bike rack bolted and braced into trailer lid. skewer clamp, wheel clamp and fr.wheel holder only.
9. Laptop and camera stay on bike.
10. 2 MSR stoves if we're also bicycle camping or lightest type propane stove 2-burner these vary greatly in weight.
11. The more clothes and gear you have the more you are shuffling stuff around at meal/bedtimes and getting underway its a fun exercise before leaving the garage to excise 75 additional pounds! You can have a shower or sitzbath every day and carry only soap and mini-poly towels.
12. 2 deluxe pillows/cases from home! and lightweight sheets. Extra foam is installed in the bed/seat pillows every few years for no-sag comfort. Insist that your bed be as good as home. Get by with fewer than 40 lbs. 100 lbs with real mt. bikes...Wal-mart tanks will not work on trailer. Tie bikes with nylon pull strap top tubes to camper rails for no wiggle.

Is this more than you wanted to know? I grin ear-to-ear just writing about it. Never leave on road trip vacation without Goldwing and bicycle(s)!

·
Registered
657 Posts
Buy about 3:30 4oclock time to start looking punch campgrounds in to the GPS find one looks good go there. some times we get a ****ty one to stay in but it makes for a good story later.Life is whatyou make it so make it good!!!

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
camping

I think the first decision, once you've decided to camp, is what type of camping do you want to do. You can pick an area and then explore that area for a few days or you can change locations every day and do a circle or a loop for the length of your trip. Which type you choose (not always mutually exclusive) will dictate some of your choices for your questions. Since this is your first retirement trip, some of your former camping habits might need changing. Your timetable will/should be a lot more flexible. As an example, one of the best things is if you find yourself enjoying an area, you don't have leave it. The opposite is also true. No need to stay if you aren't enjoying it. The details of where and what to do can be a lot less structured than they used to be. It's time to do whatever pops up.

Richard

·
Registered
983 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
We started camping in the summer of 2011. We bought a KOA card and stayed at KOA's on our trip out West(6000 miles). We like the cleaner camps and almost all KOA's had very clean shower rooms. The only campground that we stayed in that wasn't a KOA was in Idaho. We couldn't find a KOA where we were so had to stay in a mom and pop campground. The next morning after taking a shower in a not quite up to par shower room, I exited the shower room to find that the owners had tied a goat the the door of the shower room to help eat the weeds around the area. I am glad we had only planned to spend one night there.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts