GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I working on a trip plan in CA for mid-May or early June for 10 days and about 2,500 miles. I have consulted some of the rides on Pashnit.com for inclusion. The plan is Redding, Eureka down the coast to San Diego, Salton Sea, 29Palms, Apple Valley, Bishop, Sonora Pass (if open), Tahoe, Lassen, end at Redding. If you have some good suggestions for the trip and good reasonable lodging, let me know. I have some friends and family along the way to stay with overnight. A buddy will be traveling with me on his BMW.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Jim, you have named most of the good riding places. If our winter snows continue, Lassen, and Sonora pass could be pretty iffy yet that time of the year. I am only about 40 miles from Tahoe and there will be snow in the mountains but the roads should all be clear.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm well versed about Sonora Pass. We camped frequently at Pinecrest. Usually the pass is closed until just before Memorial Day weekend. I have found it still closed at that time due to snow. I have a buddy in Valley Springs that I'd like to visit and the pass would be easier. I'm planning to go to Manzanar on Hwy 395 and may have to double back instead of continuing north past Bishop. If I go in early June, it would probably work better. I'm not crazy about doing the desert at that time. Grass Valley is another place I could spend a lot of time in.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I think one of the really great places in CA. is Sequoia National Park. The more popular Yosemite is nice but usually very crowded. Sequoia is less crowded and a great park to ride thru and hike or walk around. If you're going back up to Tahoe you can ride thru Sequoia and if you like, ride east thru the northern part of Yosemite (Rte. 120 to 395 north to Tahoe) I know there are always limits as to where you can go, but these are teriffic rides.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think one of the really great places in CA. is Sequoia National Park. The more popular Yosemite is nice but usually very crowded. Sequoia is less crowded and a great park to ride thru and hike or walk around. If you're going back up to Tahoe you can ride thru Sequoia and if you like, ride east thru the northern part of Yosemite (Rte. 120 to 395 north to Tahoe) I know there are always limits as to where you can go, but these are teriffic rides.
:agree:with your comments, I've camped at all 3 parks. The one main reason for going up 395 is I have never been there. Second, I want to visit the Manzanar Internment Camp and stay overnight in Bishop. I may consider going through Yosemite instead of Sonora Pass since I want to see a buddy in Valley Springs. A lot depends on access in May. I may then continue up 49 and bypass Tahoe.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I'd try to go to Bodie off 395 if you get a chance. I think it might be the best preserved Old West Ghost Town in the country. Some of the buildings still have the original belongings from the people who left in a hurry.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd try to go to Bodie off 395 if you get a chance. I think it might be the best preserved Old West Ghost Town in the country. Some of the buildings still have the original belongings from the people who left in a hurry.
I may also try to visit Calico as well. There are some other things along 395 such as Devil's Postpile and Mono Lake.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts