GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have done a Western Tour 4 out of the last 5 years, but have not really explored the Southwest much as the heat was just to much for me.

When is the best time of year to enjoy the scenic beauty of the SW? I'm thinking perhaps November. Is it feasible in February? thanks for you input.

Fred

·
Registered
9,406 Posts
When is the best time of year to enjoy the scenic beauty of the SW? I'm thinking perhaps November. Is it feasible in February? thanks for you input.

Fred
Where is it you're looking to go? There are feasible rides than can happen in either month; the weather girl can be your friend - or your foe.

To be honest - best time of year is mid-Sept thru mid-October. Sssssh - son't let 'em know I said that! :D

In February, a few of us southern desert rats make a trek to see our more northern desert rat brothers in the Vegas area and ride around Death Valley. A fun weekend of debauchery to be had by all... :lol: There's not been (much) in the way of weather issues in the four years I've had the pleasure of attending.

Generally, the desert areas are mountainous areas, filled with roads thru the valleys - which are known (depending on elevation) to periodically get a dusting of snow from time to time. A little less chance of that in November, but temps can get close to freezing in some of the higher elevations by that time.

Whatcha interested in seeing?

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
Fred, you just got home from your PNW tour! Are you already planning the next one? Good on ya!! :thumbup:

When I lived in Texas, I use to make my annual trip to Vegas in May. The desert is in full bloom, temperatures are mild and the scenery is awesome. But elevation in the places you want to visit will have a huge bearing on the time of year for your trip and what you pack. If you are talking about most of Arizona, New Mexico and Nevada, you should be fine. Just take warm clothes for riding and blankets for the camper if you are going to be up around Flagstaff, AZ or Chama, NM. It can get pretty cold up there in May. I stayed in Chama one time in late June or early July in my camper and the overnight temperatures were right around 32*. :eek:4: Had to borrow some blankets from a nice RVer. :lol:

On the plus side, it might be nice to get out of MI in May.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fred, you just got home from your PNW tour! Are you already planning the next one? Good on ya!! :thumbup:

When I lived in Texas, I use to make my annual trip to Vegas in May. The desert is in full bloom, temperatures are mild and the scenery is awesome. But elevation in the places you want to visit will have a huge bearing on the time of year for your trip and what you pack. If you are talking about most of Arizona, New Mexico and Nevada, you should be fine. Just take warm clothes for riding and blankets for the camper if you are going to be up around Flagstaff, AZ or Chama, NM. It can get pretty cold up there in May. I stayed in Chama one time in late June or early July in my camper and the overnight temperatures were right around 32*. :eek:4: Had to borrow some blankets from a nice RVer. :lol:

Hey Jim. Thanks for the response. I was thinking more about Mid February as it would be a nice break from my winter spot in Gulf Shores, AL. Texas Hill country, NM, AZ are the spots I'm most interested in and maybe South UT.

On the plus side, it might be nice to get out of MI in May.
I'm thinking about going South with the Wing in the Toyhauler Nov. 1. If I go in Feb I'll stick to the Southern parts of the states.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Where is it you're looking to go? There are feasible rides than can happen in either month; the weather girl can be your friend - or your foe.

To be honest - best time of year is mid-Sept thru mid-October. Sssssh - son't let 'em know I said that! :D

In February, a few of us southern desert rats make a trek to see our more northern desert rat brothers in the Vegas area and ride around Death Valley. A fun weekend of debauchery to be had by all... :lol: There's not been (much) in the way of weather issues in the four years I've had the pleasure of attending.

Generally, the desert areas are mountainous areas, filled with roads thru the valleys - which are known (depending on elevation) to periodically get a dusting of snow from time to time. A little less chance of that in November, but temps can get close to freezing in some of the higher elevations by that time.

Whatcha interested in seeing?
Thanks for the response. Texas Hill Country, AZ and NM are on my list to tour.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I've had some great traveling through AZ & NM in Feb/Mar... Be prepared for snow in the higher elevations (ex: Flagstaff), and have a backup plan if it happens (eg Taking the more southerly I-10 for east/west travel, rather than I-40).

Also can't travel at night in the desert regions, due to danger of road washouts from flash floods then.

That being said, the weather is really great in between the storms.

Bottom Line: Go for it!

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, no problem then if you are in the Toyhauler. :thumbup: Texas, AZ and NM should be no problem in November. How long are you staying? Can I go with you? :lol:
Hey Jim,

I usually stay in Gulf Shores thru march and was thinking about a trip from that area to break up the winter. It would be great to have a riding partner along. You could show me the Texas Hill country. We'll have to talk it up.

Fred

·
Registered
871 Posts
planning southwest tour

Have done a Western Tour 4 out of the last 5 years, but have not really explored the Southwest much as the heat was just to much for me.

Fred
The only drawback to traveling the southwest in Feruary is that most of the better riding roads are in the mountains and that time of the year can mean snow and rain in the mountains. Southern Cal, is always nice in February and there are lots of mountain roads to explore here. The mountain don't get bad snow if any because they are not much over 5000 ft

1 - 9 of 9 Posts