GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to install a 12v 20a accessory outlet in the trunk to run the air compressor. I'm going to run it off the accessory point on the fuse box to the relay and let that run the direct wires from the battery to the trunk. That way, the accessory outlet will only be on when the key is on accessory or the bike is running. Anyone have any pointers on where to locate the relay? Where to locate the outlet in the trunk?

Anyone have any pictures of an install like this they have already completed?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Daveo

·
Registered
357 Posts
I'm getting ready to install a 12v 20a accessory outlet in the trunk to run the air compressor. I'm going to run it off the accessory point on the fuse box to the relay and let that run the direct wires from the battery to the trunk. That way, the accessory outlet will only be on when the key is on accessory or the bike is running. Anyone have any pointers on where to locate the relay? Where to locate the outlet in the trunk?

Anyone have any pictures of an install like this they have already completed?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Daveo
i bought the accessory fuse block from hal that mounts next to the battery. it is relay operated and easy to install. i think it has 4 or five fused terminals on it. on it. i also put a battery charger plug on the battery that i can plug the charger into, accessable from the outside. bill

·
Registered
250 Posts
Four 12V Sockets in Trunk

My '09 does not have CB (didn't want one) or CD changer (because I use XM Radio & MP3 player).

I installed a Fuzeblocks FZ-1 fuse panel in the CB-CD compartment, mounted on a liftable tray panel that rests on the two sidewall shelf support "lips" molded into the compartment. Attached to that same tray panel I also mounted a marine grade 12V accessory power socket from Wal-Mart made by Casco. Have seen same socket in auto parts stores branded under name "Bell". Cost like $8 - $9. What I like about this socket is the protective hinged cover cap is spring-loaded so when an accessory plug is plugged into socket, the spring-loaded cap pressing against side of power plug holds plug very securely in place assisting better electrical connection of plug's contacts inside socket.

I also picked up a small triple-socket power supply which I attach via industrial grade Velcro to the center of the main trunk's rear wall. Power wire for this 3-socket adapter runs under trunk mat carpet, under lid of CB-CD cavity, and plugs into the 12V socket in that cavity.

I've thus tripled 12V power supply inside main trunk, and when not needed (if desired) I can simply pull the 3-way socket off the trunk wall, and stash it inside the CB-CD cavity - either in the uppermost (CD) half next to the fuse panel, or lift the tray up and store it in the lower (CB) compartment underneath the tray panel. Works for me - and I have a total of four 12V power sockets in trunk for a rough cost of about $25.
Click pics for larger view.

Attachments

·
Registered
442 Posts
I have a smilar setup as Snarley Bill except I have a second fuse block on the opposite side of the bike. It's wired for "constant" on for accessory plugs I can use without my key in the ignition. I also use it for circuits I control with a separate switch like my GPS and interior trailer light which I can access without the key as well.

My air compressor plug is in my right passenger compartment on a short lead so it comes out but doesn't hit the saddle bag. Every time I've needed air on trips it's been raining or wet so I chose the smallest compartment for the least impact from the weather. Also it's where I can get to it easier then when my trunk is full of luggage, computer and traveling items or a ride buddy needs air. I just pull the plug from the little compartment and don't have to move or unload anything.

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
I'm getting ready to install a 12v 20a
... wow... that's a BIG compressor!
... sounds like you''ll be pumping up truck tires as a sideline business?
:)

Most of the small bike compressors will run on 4-7 amps.

Suggestion:
If you have ANY future plans for heated accessories
(Gerbing liner and gloves for long trips really keep the bulk down)
you'll have to wire the bike for them as they
really are relatively high current devices
... then, just cut off the end of your air compressor
cigar style 12v plug
and replace it with a Gerbing style connector.
When you need to use the compressor you can plug it into
the Gerbing power jack.

... just trying to save you from a jumble of extra wires...
The more you use the bike, the more things you'll probably
plug into it ... plan ahead.

Dennis

1 - 5 of 5 Posts