GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planning a trip in the end of July to the Smokey Mountains. Looking for cabins in the area of Gatlinburg or Pidgeon Forge. So many cabins its mind boggling.
Any helpfull hints for lodging and rides, rafting or anything else would be greatly appreciated. We plan on the Dragon Tail. Thanks

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Wear's Valley has some great cabins.

It's only about 20 miles away from all the 'tourists' :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
We are planning a trip to the area too in a week. Staying in Maggie Valley and will be there for 5 days. Any recomendations to restaurants or stuff to do in the area will be appreciated too. Looking ride dragon again, and this time add the Blue Ridge and Cherahola to our routes. Again, suggestions appreciated.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Just got home from a week in the Smokies and surrounding area. We actually stay at the Geystone lodge right in town and better rates you won't find and very short walk to downtown. Route 28 is a awesome road and you also will find a lot of whitewater rafting there also. It a good central area to stay in because you are only a mile or so from the Smokie Mountain national forest entrance. Good luck and enjoy I know we have for the last 5 years. Someday we will try the cabin thing because they are very fair on there price to rent . But for now like to have someone else do the cooking and cleaning and enjoy are vaction LOL :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
We are planning a trip to the area too in a week. Staying in Maggie Valley and will be there for 5 days. Any recomendations to restaurants or stuff to do in the area will be appreciated too. Looking ride dragon again, and this time add the Blue Ridge and Cherahola to our routes. Again, suggestions appreciated.
Don't forget to have a breakfast at Joey's Pancake House its awesome :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Bubba Gumps on the strip in Gatlingburg seems to be a pretty popular eatting place! Alamo up on 321 heading toward Greenbrier is another good place if you looking for some red meat!!

·
Registered
156 Posts
There are cabins for rent not far from there in Townsend Tenn. Go to www.smokycabins.com and check them out. Depending on how many people you are going to have in the cabin, these are bargains. Several years ago we rented a 5 bedroom two bath home with full kitchen and fully furnished for $130/ night.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Just got back from a week in Pigeon Forge. Rented a cabin through Cabinsusa.com, nice people to deal with and they have a large selection of cabins at fairly resonable rates. Our cabin was clean and well maintained with a lot of ammenities, hot tub, jeted tub in bathroom, pool table, etc.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Planning a trip in the end of July to the Smokey Mountains. Looking for cabins in the area of Gatlinburg or Pidgeon Forge. So many cabins its mind boggling.
Any helpfull hints for lodging and rides, rafting or anything else would be greatly appreciated. We plan on the Dragon Tail. Thanks

Wisc...

http://ironhorsenc.com/

After seven years (4 trips per year) the best place I have found is the Iron Horse MC resort.

Everything from Camping, bunk rooms, private rooms, cabins, etc.
Centrally located in the Smokey's. Normally I base there and do day trips.

You can't go wrong staying there. Close to Deals Gap, Cherahola, etc.

Run by the nicest folks.

RJ

·
Licensed Tooth Torturer
4,678 Posts

Speed Bump, if you are interested in several hours of lightly traveled roads with lots of curves take a look at this route.

Hot Springs, Erwin, Loafers Glory and Burnsville have places to eat along the way. The higher altitude along the first leg of this route also means a little cooler temps. If you grow weary of all the curves I-26 is never far away.

Enjoy.

Tour safely.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks all for the info. Lots of great cabins, now I must filter thru them for the best locations etc. GeorgiaGoldWing, if I choose cagles cabins, I will let you know.
thanks again.

·
Registered
101 Posts
We stayed in this cabin in Wears Valley the week before last. We'll never stay in a hotel again... 7 miles to Pigeon Forge.

After long days of riding, it sure was nice to shower and throw steaks on the grill instead of having to gear back up and ride out to eat.

http://www.vrbo.com/193321

·
Registered
61 Posts
Well... You have to do the Tail of the Dragon just to say that you have done it. Hit it early and not on a weekend and the traffic shouldn't be too bad.

Other roads to consider.....

Rt 28
Cherohala Pkwy
Diamondback

Have a nice ride!

·
Registered
403 Posts
We are going down in July August this time I promise myself to do the Wheels through time Museum in Maggie Valley. Been down there 4 time and each time I did not make time for it. Not sure how long it will be on the east coast or even open. I hear only rave reviews about the place.

·
Registered
999 Posts
As already mentioned - Ironhorse Motorcycle Resort.
First Rate, close enough to everything you'll want to see.
Meals available too.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts