GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning a trip from Lufkin Texas to Savannah, Georgia.I will be pulling a small mc trailer for the first time. Any suggestions to made this a great trip ???
Jim, Lufkin Texas

·
Registered
261 Posts
Make sure that your wheel bearings are packed with grease,,,, if you're passing through Atlanta have clean underwear close at hand,,,, take the back roads through GA. ,,,, and visit all the Civil War sites that you can. Otherwise enjoy your ride (other than being a Yankee,,,, I love the South)... If you get a chance,,, the Civil War Naval Musuem at,,, I believe it was Columbia, GA was worth a visit (but I'm a Civil War fanatic,,,, and it's not too far from Andersonville prison,,, that's a neat place to visit also).... Al :yes::yes::yes:

·
Registered
243 Posts
If you can spare the time run over to Natchez, MS and catch some of the Natchez Trace Prkwy north. It's a speed limited road but worth the time to ride it for a ways.
Also hit some of the Smokey Mtn Nat'l Park if you can work it in.
We try to ride back roads as much as possible but sometime because of time constraints we have to jump up on the interstates to get from one attraction to the next quicker. So plan some slow days 300-400 miles and some get there days 500-700 miles. This has worked well for us in the past.
Our next trip in May is planned this way. We will cover about 4,000 miles in about 10 days with a two day stay in Key West. Some flower sniffin' and some just get there days included.

·
Registered
261 Posts
If you can spare the time run over to Natchez, MS and catch some of the Natchez Trace Prkwy north. It's a speed limited road but worth the time to ride it for a ways.
Also hit some of the Smokey Mtn Nat'l Park if you can work it in.
We try to ride back roads as much as possible but sometime because of time constraints we have to jump up on the interstates to get from one attraction to the next quicker. So plan some slow days 300-400 miles and some get there days 500-700 miles. This has worked well for us in the past.
Our next trip in May is planned this way. We will cover about 4,000 miles in about 10 days with a two day stay in Key West. Some flower sniffin' and some just get there days included.
I would agree with BIGMACACE,,,,, plan your trip to include both interstate highways (to make time),,, and back roads,,,, to enjoy the ride,,, to make the best of your trip.... The point is to do the most with the time that you have,,,,, but don't push it to the point that you'll miss a-lot that the area has to offer.... As for myself and the S.O.,,, we do not pass up any putt putt golf courses (that's a rule with the GL1800,,, as was the rule with the GL1500,,, as was the rule with the GL1200,,, the bike does not pass a miniature golf course with-out offering me a chance to kick the ol ladies butt in golf,,,, as I've played some of the finest putt-putt golf courses acrossed this Great Nation),,, but that's up to you,,, that's just my bike's rule and we have some fun with it..... The key is to enjoy yourself on your ride,,,,, but planning is the key. Just MTCW.
Al :yes::yes::yes:

P.S.: Research the area on the internert and find good places to stay :beer3: ,, and eat :chef2: ,,, always what I do....

·
Registered
56 Posts
Did that run last year heading over to and up the east coast. Left south of Waco and picked up 84 around the La. stateline, rode it all the way over to I-95. You get a little of both riding conditions nice easy two lane and then some divided four lane, nice country and little towns along the way. We went first of May, almost every little town had their local city festival going on. Towns along the way are just big enought to have most of the hotels one would need and great local eating places with not all the traffic.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Don't over pack
If the trailer is overloaded
it is a pain to get to stuff or
to re-pack in the morning

1 - 6 of 6 Posts