GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a favorite way to plan trips using computer map programs? We've got a small laptop and I'd like to save routes and locations for quick reference later. Anyone have a good way?

Thanks,

Wayne

·
Registered
872 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Karen & Wayne,

I've used MicroSoft Streets & Trips for years. Add that to your list of possibles.

Chuck

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
garmin mapsource software is very simple to use

google is fine, but limited in its number of waypoints in a route

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
I've used Microsoft Trips & Streets for several years now. I've tried almost everything else, but keep coming back to this software. It has it's little quirks, but overall works very well. I especially like the visual presentation of routes and locations. Streets are very easy to see and identify. Creating routes is very intuitive and reconfiguring routes is quite straight forward. You can get a free trial of the software for 60 days. It costs less than $50, and is always available where some of the online programs require that you are connected to the Internet. Using GPSU you can easily convert routes saved from Streets & Trips to the GDB format that can be opened and used in MapSource which will allow you to dump the route information into a Garmin GPS.
I've been traveling for the last week and have planned all of the 2200 miles so far in this manner. It's working very well.

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
Choices...

Google Maps for when I have an Internet connection...

The traveling laptop has Streets & Trips loaded as well...

The bike's GPS is little more than a rolling map of the vicinity at this point - but it's there in a pinch.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Anyone have a favorite way to plan trips using computer map programs? We've got a small laptop and I'd like to save routes and locations for quick reference later. Anyone have a good way?

Thanks,

Wayne
After over 40 years and close to 2 million miles
of riding motorcycles and riding 3 very long
tours ( "one 17 months,one 13 months,one 7
months ") theres one thing I've learned BIG
TIME" I'm on an 8 month tour right now as I
write this. (no we are not retired")

NEVER" PLAN" a trip
ever......... Planed trips SUCK and trips planed
with more then one motorcycle even SUCK
worse.

The best way to do it is pick spots you would
like to see ("MAYBE") if it comes your way and
then get on your bike and head basicly toward
your first pick but don't plan on making it any
time soon, just loosely ride that way and see
how you feel as you ride!

I promise you if you do this it will be the best
vacation ride you've ever had"

Good luck and ride safe" ENJOY"

·
Registered
466 Posts
There are a number of programs and internet sites that can help you.

I use M$ Streets and Trips as it has current construction info and more features than Mapsource. If you're printing maps/routes then S&T will do a good job of that too. Mapsource is free and you can get S&T or DeLorme Street Atlas for a few dollars.

Many internet ride sites allow you to download routes in a format that your computer may recognize. Being able to download a route and display it on your laptop is far nicer and easier than having to transcribe the route from the web.

Planning depends on the rider, it seems. I've always use the internet resources to give me roads to ride, places to see, and details [like hours of operation, fees, and features that may require a reservation]. It can make brainstorming a ride more pleasant as you've got the info you need in your laptop.

Long rides planning for me consists of the roads I want to ride that day and any sites I want to see. I plan on riding about 9 hours and get on the road around 7am [for the best light and coolest riding conditions]. I stop at a non-chain place for lunch [unless I'm bringing a sandwich]. I try to stop around 5pm so I can relax and enjoy the sunset or do a bit of evening riding when the light is good. These picks are merely guides. There is so much out there that isn't on the web, in the tourist guides, or at the visitor centers. Missing them because you have a deadline does nobody any good.

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
I've used Microsoft Trips & Streets for several years now. I've tried almost everything else, but keep coming back to this software. It has it's little quirks, but overall works very well. I especially like the visual presentation of routes and locations. Streets are very easy to see and identify. Creating routes is very intuitive and reconfiguring routes is quite straight forward. You can get a free trial of the software for 60 days. It costs less than $50, and is always available where some of the online programs require that you are connected to the Internet. Using GPSU you can easily convert routes saved from Streets & Trips to the GDB format that can be opened and used in MapSource which will allow you to dump the route information into a Garmin GPS.
I've been traveling for the last week and have planned all of the 2200 miles so far in this manner. It's working very well.
CJS, I have a 2720 Garmin and Streets and Trips software. Can I use this GPSU and put it on the GPS? What is a GPSU ??

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Streets and Trips works great!!!!

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
GPSU is a utility program that runs on your PC to convert the route (among other things) between S&T and Mapsource. Another program that will do it is GPS BABEL.

I've got all the major software (S&T 2005 & 2007, Mapsource, Delorme, GoogleMaps, Mapquest, etc.). However, I keep coming back to Mapsource as that works the best for me when doing a GPS route for the motorcycle. If I'm limited to the PC and the internet, then Google Maps works best for me.

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
CJS, I have a 2720 Garmin and Streets and Trips software. Can I use this GPSU and put it on the GPS? What is a GPSU ??
Yes you can. GPSU is free program available at http://www.gpsu.co.uk/
When you create a route in S&T it is saved as a file with and "est" extension. You would then open GPSU and open the route you saved form S&T with the est extension. Then in GPSU you use the "Save as" command and choose the Mapsource file type with "gdb" extension. Then you can open the gdb file in mapsource. Recalculate the file in mapsource and then you can transmit it to your gps.
I do this all them time and it works great.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Microsoft Streets and Trips

I advise the use of this program. Don't worry what others say about the cost. What's $40 or $60? You also can buy used copies on Amazon or Half.com for much less from prior year releases. This program is the best and all I use. Actually, I make a route on the program and look at the road photos on Google Earth to get an idea of where I'm going. Google Earth is free. Enjoy!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts