GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
8,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a broken tab on my lower cowl. I want to do some testing with plastic repair techniques. I was wondering where I might be able to obtain pieces of plastic that can be cut and used for fabrication/repairs? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
5,260 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
I have cracked my lower cover. The one that goes around the timing cover and fog lights. I repaired it with a soldering iron and paper clips and zip ties. Worked great and has not re-cracked over time. Melt the paper clip into the plastic across the crack, then melt the zip tie over the crack as filler. I have also repaired other tabs that has cracked or broke off this way.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
If you have a plastic supply house in the city by you they have sample squares of different types and grades of plastic. Usually you get an assortment of colors an thicknesses depending on what you order. Or you can ask them for scraps and sometimes depending on what youre looking for you might get a box of odds and ends from cutoffs that they had left over. Are you going to look at using anything like Plastifix and other similar kits to repair plastic on the wing also?

·
Registered
52 Posts
possible plastic repair technique

Years ago I had a GL1100 with a fairing that was cracked in several places. I used scrap ABS plastic that I got from a local plastic supply store. Think I paid maybe two bucks for several pieces. Used a drill press to produce a whole lot of curly scraps that I put in a jar, and "melted" them into a thick slurry with MEK. Careful. Very volatile stuff. No smoking anywhere near. Used the MEK into the thin cracks to "weld" the close fitting parts together, and the slurry to fill in gaps. Spread very thin, and allow the MEK to fully evaporate before proceeding with subsequent layer. If you don't allow the MEK to fully evaporate, you will have soft spots that will have skinned over, trapping the solvent underneath, and soft spots that take forever to harden up. Worked pretty good for me. The mounting tab you mention may have some stress applied to it as you install/remove it, so you might try reinforcing the joint with the paper clip technique as mentioned above. Good luck, and thanks for all the help you've provided to the rest of us. Got your DVD's. Great job.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
I've used this http://www.plastex.net on the Goldwing front mudguard tabs as well as on other ABS motorcycle bodywork that has broken or cracked.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Plastic

It would be nice if someone with a crashed/trashed Wing could send you some pieces. Testing on Wing parts would be more effective.

Testing on OEM plastic would give better results than on unknown material.

Also try an MC junkyard for OEM plastic.

Ed

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Ace hardware in Texas?

Not sure if you have Ace hardware stores in Texas. They sell flat plastic sheets in the hobby section in different thickness.

Hope this helps.

Rayjoe

·
Banned
8,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you have a plastic supply house in the city by you they have sample squares of different types and grades of plastic. Usually you get an assortment of colors an thicknesses depending on what you order. Or you can ask them for scraps and sometimes depending on what youre looking for you might get a box of odds and ends from cutoffs that they had left over. Are you going to look at using anything like Plastifix and other similar kits to repair plastic on the wing also?
Plasti-Fix is one of the products I was going to try

·
Registered
687 Posts
I used plastifix to repair two broken tabs on my wing. It's been over a year, and they are holding up well. A little practice makes for a lot smoother job. Thanks for all your help on the board. Let us know what you find with these repairs.

Ride Safe,
Jeff

·
Registered
22 Posts
Fall into one of the collision centers in your area they usually have piles of plastic parts they would love to get rid of. One of the best things I've found for plastic repair is 3m Panel Bond #08115 used properly it can fix most cosmetic damage and tears. Working on tabs is another story...there's a new way to do these repairs, but the tools are a little on the expensive side. Nitrogen welding is the ticket..

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I have used Plasti-fix for several years, starting with a Yamaha Venture Royal trunk that was in three (or more) pieces! Probably 40+ inches of cracks. I Dremeled the cracks as recommended inside and out just a little, and one little bead at a time, filled them. Thought it would take forever, but about 2 hours a side and I was done! I used black stuff on black trunk and didn't even sand/paint, it was all out of sight. Never re-cracked in a bunch of additional miles.

For my 2010 wing, some ham fisted mechanic, not me, broke two tabs off the front rear fender portion. I used the putty like bar and made a mold and built new tabs that worked perfect, my mold wasn't perfect, but with a little filing and trimming, it is invisible, and as strong as new, maybe better!

Since then I have repaired several other people's cracked plastic things including a cracked plastic part on the seat belt of my car. One kit has done ALL this stuff and I still have stuff left, so the basic kit is all you need (powder, solvent, applicator, clay like stuff, and a few extra things.

I am known as the plastic "fixer" with our GWRRA club!

·
Registered
408 Posts
McMaster-Carr carries all kinds if you want a variety. They have a web site.
Also a sign shop most likely carries ABS plastic. That's where I got some and they just gave it to me at no cost. It must have been a scrap.
I use this stuff religiously Permatex Perma Poxy .84 fl oz. @ $5.00 It is stronger than the plastic being glued.

I used this to create new tabs on the trunk lid where the hinge attaches (all 6 broke). Still going strong.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
I broke one of the upper tabs on my cowl as well. The metal clip would hold it in place, but no strength to the point for screw attachment as you can guess. Was going to switch it with my wife's bike and say, "..oh, damn honey, you're cowl broke... sorry about that..." but figured she'd make me buy the whole damn body part and replace it....

So, I used liberal JB Weld on it... seems to be holding fine.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts