GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Vendor
17,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just an FYI ... I have tried those 10 packs of plastic rivets (Big Bike Parts) hoping to save money for my customers and they don't fit. Flat out ... noda, no worth it, no matter how I hope they will, they are a waist of money and only fall out. They will plug a hole and may stay in that hole but not hold the part as required. They are not worth buying. I know you can get a whole pack of 10 for the price of 1 OEM revit but are a waist of time and hope. It always amazes me that other then a few exceptions, the only good part made for a Honda GL1800 is one made by Honda for a GL1800. There are so few exceptions to that !!!

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Yep I tried them too.

No good.

I have one on the front lower cowl that simply cannot fasten due to the plastic that has too much space between the cowl and the other part it secures too.

I just left it out, I mean it fell out several times, so I just left it out.

Some other fastener , not sure what, is needed in a few places like those. Have not found anything yet, that seems to work. And still be practical and easy to remove.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Hyandai uses ones with a screw in the center. The screw expands the outer part and that holds the rivet in place. I need to check NAPA and see if they come in various sizes.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
Some time ago Fred H found the exact flat push pin to use.I lost the info when the old tower crashed.Maybe he will repost where he found them or someone else has the info.:shrug:

BBP rivets are a no-go.

·
Registered
20,945 Posts
yup i bought a pack of those aftermarket rivets, they kinda work for awhile but soon they fail, i sure won't buy them again

·
Registered
791 Posts
Are the rivets you are referring to the ones with just a pin used in the glove boxes or the ones used in the cowl next to front speaker? There is a fastener shop near me that might have them and would give me a brand/model number.

Pete

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
Hyandai uses ones with a screw in the center. The screw expands the outer part and that holds the rivet in place. I need to check NAPA and see if they come in various sizes.
My Concours has both types, the push pin type and the type with the small screw in the middle. The ones with the screw head are a pain in the butt to get out.

·
Notorious Rocket Scientist
5,533 Posts
Greetings!

I suppose most have already thought of this, but just in case: Are you sure you are using the right size? Honda uses both 6mm and 8mm rivets; a 6mm rivet in an 8mm hole will pull out very easily.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
your Honda Car dealer has them, they use them in the body panels

·
Vendor
17,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Are the rivets you are referring to the ones with just a pin used in the glove boxes or the ones used in the cowl next to front speaker? There is a fastener shop near me that might have them and would give me a brand/model number.

Pete
The "screw head" type found in the front side panels between the cowl and there are 2 in that lower front cover that must release to remove that panel too. The 2 smaller head types found in front to hold the viser and the 2 in the dash cover on the 2001-05s, I don't recall if those hold or not. BBP does make shorter push pins for the glove boxes but have leard they are not worth trying. The reality is that aftermarket stuff is generally junk. I don't care how much it cost, proper fit and quality is most important for me.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts

·
Registered
16,852 Posts
My OE ones are not much better. BullDog, do you have those in th various sizes and applications?

prs

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I got a pack at Autozone. I like them better than the ones that come with the bike.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts