GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a wing and am very happy but the fit and finish of the LT are unreal. What would I be giving up if I were to switch? Thanks,
Greg

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I ride with three others that have LT's. All three comment about the BMW being top-heavy, requires a higher RPM to create torque, and burn premium gas.

As stated above, dealers are few and far between. But they seem to love their bikes and handle them very well.

·
Registered
93 Posts
You have to be the one to make that decision as you are the one who is going to ride it.
My suggestion is to go ride one then be the judge what bike fits your riding style.
I have both in my family, my wife rides her 2005 K1200LT and loves it and if moma is happy everybody is happy.
I personally like my Goldwing better as it fits my riding style of a nice road sofa with power.
Take care now and ride safe..............

Bus Man

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
It is reported that the slow speed handling of the K1200LT is deficient, it feels taller, it is more expensive to fix and the dealers are harder to find. It is also reported to be less torquey but more snappy at high speed. I am really happy with my 'Wing, but in the small universe of bikes that I would ever consider as a replacement, the K1200LT is surely one.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I have a friend that is an LT rider. We wnet out on a sunny sat. and traded bikes. I found the BMW to be very top heavy and I noticed that the motor noise is overwhelming compaired to the wing. As far as the power compaired to an 1800, I think that it is unfair to compair as the BWM is only a 1200. It does get up and move but it does it with differant power curves. For whatever its worth, this is my view of the two bikes. I truly love my wing (03) but tried the LT to see the differance. If I was given my choice as a gift of an 1800 or an LT, the wing would win hands down. :yes:

·
Registered
77 Posts
I rode an '04, LT 2 years ago, I had a Concours at the time, and I thought the Connie was top heavy and spooky at slow speeds. The LT was even worse. I had beemers in the past so I was really wanting to buy one, but the low speed handling kept me away. So I bought the wing, glad I did.

Moby

·
Registered
20,951 Posts
when the BMW 1200LT first came out i was very interested, but then i did the test ride

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Bus Man could answer these, but from what I have read:

- regular maintence higher on BMW
- BMW goes through tires faster
- BMW parts very expensive
- BMW gets better mileage, but as stated, smaller engine, and requires premium
- limited dealership
- accessories expensive (CD, intercom, lights etc)

you need to ride each, and see which fits you best.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Yep, the fit and finish of the K1200LT is best. I test drove both the BMW and the Wing before I bought. Many of my BMW concerns have already been stated in this thread. I chose the Wing. You can't base your decision on other people's opinion. Test ride the BMW to make up you mind.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
If you buy a BMW you can tell all your friends you own a BMW...they will be impressed...ohhh boy!

If you want to ride and be happy you need to ride each and decide for yourself

I wanted a BMW for the longest time...test rode it, loved it....finally got in the position to purchase a new bike.....I rode my buddies Wing for about 3 miles or so...I was sold on the Wing...bottom line: do whatever makes you hapy and to hell with what ever anyone else thinks

·
Registered
93 Posts
spine60 said:
I have a wing and am very happy but the fit and finish of the LT are unreal. What would I be giving up if I were to switch? Thanks,
Greg[/quote

Hi Greg! If you haven't already please go to: www.bmwlt.com Once there perform a search in the K1200LT forum using the term "K1200LT vs Gold Wing". Be prepared to read for more than an hour. I've owned both models and luv 'em both; warts and all...

In a nutshell: BMW has better/more: brakes, front suspension, handling/cornering clearance, electrically adjustable windscreen, electro hydralic centerstand, somewhat better ergonomically engineered controls and switch gear, especially the turnsignal switches, fuel mileage (DOES NOT REQUIRE PREMIUM FUEL) sips Plus grade thank you very much!

Honda has better/more: engine torque, low speed handling characteristics, warranty, numerous aftermarket vendors, dealer coverage (only important if you're dealer dependant for service/repairs; otherwise both bike are equally easy to perform routine maintenance on), headlight in standard configuration, better resale value based in large part on the longer standard warranty and additional (optional at extra cost) extended warranty.

At the end of your comparisions all that really matters is the one that 'Squeeks Your Sneekers'! For me, I love my '06 Wing yet I'll go back to BMW when the new LT arrives as an '09 model. "Just Ride It" and you'll do just fine...

·
Registered
589 Posts
Another consideration in the LT vs Wing discussion is your inseam. God forgot to give me the necessary two inches for the feet to be flat on the ground on the LT but I can do so on my WING. I own two other BMW models and can "just" reach the ground on both and they have the "lower" seat from the factory. The "lower" seat was no help on the LT for me.

Your mileage may vary..... :D

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have both and the wing is by far the better ride. The Lt is power starved and very top heavy. I used to rodeo my bike as a Police Motor cop and the LT has caused me considerable low speed problems. The wing is far better at parking lot speeds. I will give you this, the stero on the LT is the best I have heard for a stock system, other than the new HD. The extras on the LT make it worth a look see, but ride both and you will see. I wish mother Honda would take a cue from BMW and get hot on the auto shield and the built in CD.

Just my two cents

enjoy the ride, either way.

·
Registered
19,057 Posts
NJREF said:
If you buy a BMW you can tell all your friends you own a BMW...they will be impressed...ohhh boy!

If you want to ride and be happy you need to ride each and decide for yourself

I wanted a BMW for the longest time...test rode it, loved it....finally got in the position to purchase a new bike.....I rode my buddies Wing for about 3 miles or so...I was sold on the Wing...bottom line: do whatever makes you hapy and to hell with what ever anyone else thinks
DITTO I had $$$ down on a BMW until I rode the Wing. Both are fine bikes. IMHO the BMW has more upkeep-just like their cars.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
It was a hard decision between the two when I was looking. I could not find a Goldwing to ride, rode a bunch of BMW"S and Harleys. I was sooo close to buying the LT. The price difference was not a factor since they were dealing on the BMW pretty good. It was the small dealer network. As some of you know, I bought this bike to ride. If I am out in the middle of New Mexico I have a much better chance of finding a part for a Honda than a BMW. The detail on the BMW is second to none though. I love that German blood in bikes and cars.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Like the kid said,the bmw maint schedule is crazy,i have a friend who works at a bmw/slash honda dealer,he said the bmw,s require 12,000 mile valve adjustments,that,s all some of us would get done,goin back and forth to the dealer,or workin on the bike on saturdays,just my 02 cents worth.OLE YELLER MBG PA

·
Registered
13 Posts
After riding both, the LT is the one that spoke to me. After a year with it I have no regrets. If I didn't do my own maintenance, I'd probably pick the Wing as cost can be pretty high at limited dealers for the LT.

There's lots to consider IMHO when choosing between the two.
-The way you ride
-Your physical size and the way you fit the bike(How much would it cost to bring the bike to your comfort zone?)
-Do ALL your own maintenance?
-Standard features that are important to you
-Styling
-Trailer???

Spend as much saddle time as you can on both. Don't be afraid to by used as there are some great values out there.
You can't go wrong on either one.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts