GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How does the quality of Hal's discounted metzeler tires compare to the Stones?? Thanks, Greg

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
At first ? I thought ? Naaaaa ya gotta be kidding ?
1. There not Hal's Metzler tires. They are Metzler tires being sold by Hal/Honda direct line.
Everyone has there own opinion on tires whether it's Metzlers or Stones or Lops etc. How you ride, where you ride, how much air you use in your tires all come into play reguarding the life of a tire. Some people like metz some don't , some people like stones ? Some don't ! It's been reported that the metz are good on wet pavement, I don't know....YET !
But as soon as I use mine that I just bought form Hal I'll let ya know !

·
Chard Member
12,966 Posts
BlueWing said:
I can't wait until Red looks at this post.
No Comment! :a13:

Out of respect for Hal and his sale, I will withhold my opinion of the "M" brand tire!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My point is simply that when I bought tires everyone was very specific about the ones they liked best. Now that there is a $90 decrease in price, everyone seems not to care about their origional opinions? If I remember correctly, the Metzelers were the ones that most complained about wobbling and short lifespan? Is $90.00 worth dropping all of our opinions or is it that it really doesn't matter which tire you buy as long as your tire pressure is kept correct?? Thanks, Greg

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
spine60 said:
My point is simply that when I bought tires everyone was very specific about the ones they liked best. Now that there is a $90 decrease in price, everyone seems not to care about their origional opinions? If I remember correctly, the Metzelers were the ones that most complained about wobbling and short lifespan? Is $90.00 worth dropping all of our opinions or is it that it really doesn't matter which tire you buy as long as your tire pressure is kept correct?? Thanks, Greg
I haven't changed my opinion...still don't like them. But you gotta admit...that's a great price. :D

·
Vendor
21,875 Posts
My experience has been that the grip of the Stones and Metzlers are about the same, but the Metzlers seem to outlast the Stones by about 1-2K miles.

This of course is highly subjective as everyone gets different mileages out of tires, but I tend to push them hard so I rarely see over 9K miles on any tire. I only got 7.5 K out of the Stones before cord was showing.

They are both good tires, but personally, I prefer the Metzlers over the Stones.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
You will love the Metzelers Spineless! I Highly recommend you buy 2 or more pair.

Hurry, before they sell out.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Having run both brands in the past, they performed about the same for me...good traction wet/dry and got about the same mileage with about 16,000 miles on each brand.

I would buy either again...

·
Registered
547 Posts
If what's been written on this forum about Metzelers is true, many have had a wobble problem with them, stemming from a poor design. That was changed, however, and the new Metzelers don't have the problems of the old ones.
I've got a pair on my bike now, with about 5K miles on them, and they're terrific. No wobble, no cupping, no issues whatsoever. They don't even look worn yet. Regardless of the price, I'll wear Metzelers from now on. Having them on sale would make it even better.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Red said:
BlueWing said:
I can't wait until Red looks at this post.
No Comment! :a13:

Out of respect for Hal and his sale, I will withhold my opinion of the "M" brand tire!
It appears to me that you speak with a forked tongue. :? You DID comment. :wink: :lol:

Todd

·
Registered
272 Posts
I have ran Metz, Dunlop, and Stones I like the Stones and Metz the best to me it's a toss up my bike has slight decell wobble with all. I didn't care for the Dunlop on wet pavement. I just put on a new set of Metz and I just ordered a new set from HAL so for the next 25,000 miles or so it's Metz.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
If what's been written on this forum about Metzelers is true, many have had a wobble problem with them, stemming from a poor design. That was changed, however, and the new Metzelers don't have the problems of the old ones.
I would be interest to hear about this design change you're referring to. Can't say as I've heard anything from Metz regarding a design change.
The fact that some folks are having good luck with them does not mean that all the previous issues are behind them. I do however truly hope that after all the time that they were on B/O that Metz took the time to address the belt breakage in the rear that plagued so many.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
I wore out 5 sets of ME880 60 series wing tires, and like them. Then I tried a pair of ME880 70 series VTX tires, liked their grip and ride, but lost a little (2K miles) in wear. Now trying out a pair of Bridgestone G850/851s 70 series VTX tires, and figure they will last as long as the ME880 70s, and handle just as good, maybe a hair smoother. So, I loaded up on the Stones during HDLs last sale - have enough stashed to get the bike well past the 100K mark.

But if I was happy with the 60 series Wing tires, would have about three sets of those in the garage. They worked for me.

·
Registered
20,951 Posts
i have tried them all except Avon, i prefer the Metzlers, if the price is right i will ride on any brand

probably the main reason u here more about Metzler problems is because believe it or not......... Metzler is HDL's number one selling tire for the GL1800 and has been for a long time

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
I've had four or five sets of Metzlers, D250s and a set of E3s.. Like the Metzlers for their grip in all conditions and love the wear!!
Do they wobble a bit?? Sure.. Does it effect my ride?? Not really, I'm normally either below or WAY above the wobble speed and the wobble is only noticable when cold...

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
I cant help my self any longer.

I have kept up with the tire issues and the reported mileage or the lack of mileage, and it boggles the mind. I see reports of 3 and 4 K on tires and there shoot! Then the reports of 10 to 18 K. Having only had my Trike just a year in three days.( and I know this doesn't quite compare ) so I only know about the front tire. When I bought the 02 Trike the front tire was and still is a Metz ME880, with a reported 6 K miles on it. I have put 16,894 miles on it so far so that is about 22.5 K + -, and the wear bars are no where near showing. There is cupping. My thoughts are that due to the fact that I have to physically steer the front into a turn, therefore causing some skidding effect on the tire where a regular bike would lean onto the side walls, where on my tire, there is little if any ware at all. I don't really baby it any in the turns and have seen some good twisties in the Ark. and Ok hills. What I guess that I am getting at, is just how are you all ridding to get such crappy mileage out of a tire? I know that I am not comparing Apples and Apples totally, but on the front tire, it seems that from what I have seen here on the board, I should have gone through at least 3 front tires. Or was I lucky by getting a good tire on it when I acquired it. I have a replacement that I caught on sale last month standing by, for when it is needed, but not until it is needed though. That one is a Michelin Pilot Active.

Just curious.

·
Registered
5,921 Posts
Metzlers do not work for me, I get the decel wobble bad with them. I tried two sets. They work great for my Dad, no wobble with the same tire that wobbled on my bike. I loved the feel of them but I have to run Bridgestones to avoid the wobble as much as possible.

·
Registered
25 Posts
From everything I've read it does not matter which tire you use - ALL of the tires available have given SOMEONE a PROBLEM with WOBBLE or WEAR. It seems as though it is the LUCK OF THE DRAW when it come to getting a good set of tires for a wing. Some people seem to love the E-3's I had 1 set I like 1 set I was glad to replace after they were worn out. Avon's get mixed reviews - I personally like them the best - on second set now - good wear - no wobble at any speed with STOCK BEARINGS!!! But that just my experience - I have heard many others who have a totally different opinion of the Avon's - The OEM LOPS wear way to fast and I will never put em on my bike - again thats just me

I think the best advice on any tire is Try em YOU might like em

750valk

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I've had dunnies, metz and stones. The metz still give me a little wobble, both up and down. The metz are easier to change myself on my HF tire changer. I got around 17K on my last rear metz, the front is still on; will get changed this winter for next riding season. Stones, metz. Metz, stones. Either will do. I returned my avon's before even mounting them, due to the delaminating that riders were having.

Weengers, I was through Pekin yesterday, twice. Didn't see you around. LOL. I had to run to San Jose for a fish dinner. Of course, I was in the cage. :lol:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts