GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Approx 600 miles ago changed all fluids , everything was great , on the way home from work last night noticed bike seems to be holding back , made it to area to pull over safely and rear brake and left front brake rotors and blue and locked up , after siting a while they did free up , was able to get home using only front brake , i'm thinking posible problem with the anti-dive valve , any ideas ?
I know you need specs . 08 gl1800 , approx 42,000

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
Sounds like you overfilled the reservoir and now when the fluid gets hot and expends it activates the brakes.

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Approx 600 miles ago changed all fluids , everything was great , on the way home from work last night noticed bike seems to be holding back , made it to area to pull over safely and rear brake and left front brake rotors and blue and locked up , after siting a while they did free up , was able to get home using only front brake , i'm thinking posible problem with the anti-dive valve , any ideas ?
I know you need specs . 08 gl1800 , approx 42,000
I would probably PM Bartman...he is one smart guy! Good luck!:thumbup:

·
Registered
9,113 Posts
I would probably PM Bartman...he is one smart guy! Good luck!:thumbup:
Me? Thanks Hal, but I really don't know. It could be a number of things.

Has the recall been done? Even if it has, it might be the secondary master cylinder. It could be a number of things.

I guessing it has something to do with the linked braking system. Fred H. or Rob (techdude) might have some better suggestions on where to start troubleshooting.

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
Open a bleeder on that circuit and purge some fluid so that the reservoir level is at its mark. Recall checked or not, it could be the 2nd master or even left side front pad loose and binding and thus turning the secondary as you ride. The heat damaged parts will need to be replaced.

prs

·
IronMan
17,461 Posts
olddog moto is there in ormond bch dave 603-566-7619 good guy. like other stated good chance to much fluid- if rear rotor blued (shot) got used one can give ya deal on . john 321-242-0720

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What did the recall address

Yes i had recall done , it was done real quick at daytona fun mach , what did the recall address , do i have the problem the recall was issuded for ? As for the fluid level , it is right on the mark , plus i've ridden appox 600 miles after flush with no problems .

·
Vendor
21,888 Posts
The problem most likely originated in your left front brake. The rear brake got applied because the left front brake was on, which translated force to the secondary master cylinder and activated the rear brake.

Remove the left front brake caliper and check the pivot bolt and bearing on the bottom and make sure the caliper is free to pivot on the fork and isn't hanging. Also inspect and grease the caliper slides and make sure that the caliper can slide properly so it can center itself on the rotor. And of course make sure the front and rear reservoirs aren't overfull. When you get all done, jack the front of the bike, and apply the front and rear brakes and release them, and make sure that the front wheel spins and that the front brake has fully released.

If your rotors have blued, you may have to replace them as well as the pads. It will depend on how hot they got, but the rotors may have warped, and the pads could also be cooked and glazed over. You might get away with resurfacing the rotors with an abrasive rotor disc without replacing them.

·
Registered
578 Posts
possible bad PCV

A bad proportional control valve will lock your rear wheel up for sure.

It is located behind the left radiator. Yes, the radiator must be removed to get at it.

The PCV costs over $300.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had the exact identical issue w/ a used 2002 Goldwing which I purchased last August. I ended up rebuilding the left caliper with new seals, and that fixed the problem.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bike will be at dealer tomarrow

I have a extended warranty and talked with dealer , most likely covered , reveiwed nhtsa report on recall i'm experienceing the reason for recall , i agree that problem most likely left front caliper and apply rod to aux master cylinder binding . I will let you all know the outcome with the dealer . Thank you all for your feed back ;)

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
The problem most likely originated in your left front brake. The rear brake got applied because the left front brake was on, which translated force to the secondary master cylinder and activated the rear brake.

Remove the left front brake caliper and check the pivot bolt and bearing on the bottom and make sure the caliper is free to pivot on the fork and isn't hanging. Also inspect and grease the caliper slides and make sure that the caliper can slide properly so it can center itself on the rotor. And of course make sure the front and rear reservoirs aren't overfull. When you get all done, jack the front of the bike, and apply the front and rear brakes and release them, and make sure that the front wheel spins and that the front brake has fully released.

If your rotors have blued, you may have to replace them as well as the pads. It will depend on how hot they got, but the rotors may have warped, and the pads could also be cooked and glazed over. You might get away with resurfacing the rotors with an abrasive rotor disc without replacing them.
:thumbup:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Called the dealer

I CALLED THE DEALER TO FIND OUT HOW THEY MADE OUT AND WAS TOLD ALL IS COVERED UNDER MY EXTENED WARRANTY :lol:
HONDA IS GOING TO REPLACE ROTORS , PADS AND AUX MASTER CYLINDER .THANKS FOR ALL OF YOUR HELP .

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
I CALLED THE DEALER TO FIND OUT HOW THEY MADE OUT AND WAS TOLD ALL IS COVERED UNDER MY EXTENED WARRANTY :lol:
HONDA IS GOING TO REPLACE ROTORS , PADS AND AUX MASTER CYLINDER .THANKS FOR ALL OF YOUR HELP .
Your extended warranty just paid for itself!:thumbup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts