GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please, I need help to be sure of something concerning an 1800 Goldwing trike building. I have just become a member of this site and I am having a trike built as we speak. I am a trike rider due to a not my fault broad-side on my way to work one morning, almost two years ago. I want to know if it is a good idea to go with the easy stear 4-degree rake or if it will do just fine with the stock triple tree setup? I drove one with the easy-stear front end and it is really quick. Almost too quick. Do you get used to that or will the stock front end be just fine? Also should I have them do the Superbrace if they do the easy-stear? Please let me know, Thanks in advance… Ride Safe, All Of You!!!

PS the trike is a Lehman setup...

·
Banned
2,871 Posts
Have the rake installed you'll be glad you did. Yes you will get used to your Trike and will love it in short order. What kind are you getting?
Some here have not liked the Superbrace on their Trike. Congratulations.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I had a trike without a raked front end before my Lehman. I wouldnt want to ride without one. Get the raked front end and you wont be sorry. On long trips you wont get fatigued from driving.Is the dealer trying to sell you the 4 degree or the Lehman 3 degree like I have?

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
That "quick steering" you are experiencing is common to anyone moving from the "lean" of a bike, to the "steer" of a trike. Barely pressure the left or right handlebar and you will be in the next lane. But you quickly get used to the "twitchy" front end.

I don't think the EZ steer will have much bearing on that. However, I have the EZ steer and like it. Most that have ridden both, seem to prefer the EZ. Your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Hi Watchman, welcome and :congrats: on getting a trike I built my own trike and was told that the 1800 did not need the rake so as soon as I got the thing till I could throw the seat on it I took it for a ride out the road and back when I got back I started to dismantle the front end and pull the trees off to send to a place called sideffects in Kamloops B.C. I have had a couple of back surgeries and when I went around a sharp curve it really hurt my back. When I called Larry at Sideffects he asked me what type of rideing I would be doing my size and health problems and he said he would fix me right up, I sent him the trees and about 3 weeks later I had them back at a cost of about $750.00 that has been 4 yrs. ago and I am still pleased with it I would not take any amount for the rake and not be able to get it back.

Larry

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
My builder had me ride for three month before I put it on..so I could know if I like it or not...it's like anything, you'll have to get use to it....believe me...get it....you want look back after 500 miles....

·
Registered
161 Posts
In My Humble Opinion.....I have the steering kit.....wouldn't be without it....had a 1500 without it......hated it. I do not have the steering brace....but have had no troubles. Had it on the 1500....with no troubles. Maybe someone else can chime in on that. I have a leg problem....triking solved it for me....couldn't be happier :p. Oh....and by the way....... :congrats: . Now we need pictures!!!:coffee1:

·
Registered
270 Posts
By all means, get the "easy steer" or whatever you want to call it. Get at least a 4.5 degree kit. I've driven the 3, 4.5, 5, and 6 degree front ends and mine is a 6 degree front end and I love it. It is like having power steering on your trike. It really helps in the hill country hills and twisties. I'm no expert, but my advice, for what it's worth, would be to ride as many different trikes as you can with different degree front end rakes to see which one that you would be the most comfortable with.

Ron McGowan

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
3 degree or 4 !!!

I see I should have given you guys more information about the setup of my trike when I first posted. It is a Lehman Monarch II kit built on a 2008 Goldwing. The dealership is saying to put on the 4-degree easy stear triple tree. Some one mentioned a 3-degree set up. Is that much different in the feel? Let me know if you can, Thanks again!

Added This: I am too slow, by the time I posted this add-on to my thread you guys had already answered my question, Thank you to all, this is great!!!

B

·
0 Posts
...by the time I posted this add-on to my thread you guys had already answered my question...

The folks here on the trike board are so ready to help that by the time you click "submit", take a bite out of your donut and a sip of your coffee, they have already posted a reply.

I'd say, go with the 4 degree your installer is recommending. That's a good compromise and as an installer, he probably knows what is best on his trike kit.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
I have a 4.5 degree. Rode 12K without it and now have 26K with it. Get it! You will need 1,000 miles under your seat before you will LOVE your trike....then you will cry because you did not do it years ago.....

·
Squating Member
7,058 Posts
Had a Champion without the steering kit....have a CSC now with the kit....

I would not be without it....if this means anything...

I tried the Super-brace, didn't see where it made any difference. I would not put another one on.

Just my .02

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Usually if your Lehman comes dressed out so to speak youll have a 3 degree rake kit instead of stock Honda. The 3 degree is nice but the 4 degree would be even better. I would go with what Beastie is recommending. Youll get used to it and never look back. There have been some days I wished my dealer would have told me about the 4 degree rake.

·
Registered
569 Posts
One day on the three sisters without a rake & I was on the phone to my dealer ordering a rake kit. Nuf said

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
One day on the three sisters without a rake & I was on the phone to my dealer ordering a rake kit. Nuf said
:agree::agree::agree:

I can understand that!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Dealer said I wouldnt need it , 400 miles later I had the 4.5 put on and it is night and day difference...do it while its being triked and you wont have to lay it up later. I went from thinking I made a big mistake to 1 hand turning if I so choose. Makes it fun to ride. safe riding eyes5709

·
Registered
243 Posts
EZ steer good idea? :thumbup:
do ya get used to the quickness of the steering? :thumbup:
superbrace? :no:

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
told you so, HAHAHAHAHAHA

1 - 18 of 18 Posts