GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a suggestion to fix my trunk lid?
The 4 plastic bosses on the trunk lid that the latch screws engage have snapped off. ABS cement and Epoxy do not hold.
Tempted to through bolt to the outside of the trunk lid but then have to cover th bolts with something.
Phil

·
Registered
561 Posts
Have you tried anything like JB Weld liquid metal? Worked for me on a couple plastic tabs on the nose. Set it thick and file the excess off.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Phil, The threads in mine wallowed out and one boss snapped off. I JB Welded them in. Holding tight so far. I bought an 06 lid off of eBay that I will repaint.. You might luck out and find one in your color.

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
This may not be the best idea, but....

When the two on the right latch broke on mine, I super glued them back and that held about 5 minutes. Then, rather than repair the boss, I used a machine bolt and nut and attached it to the inner plastic lid. Mine has been in place for about two months without problem.

I never thought about warranty. I'll have to test that with my dealer....

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Phil, I had the same thing happen on my '01. After trying various things with no success I bit the bullet and did essentially the same thing as Rastoff; installed machine bolts & nuts; except that I drilled through both the inner & outer lids. I filed down what was left of the bosses and used four plastic bushings as 'guides' & reinforcements for the bolts.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I used JB Weld and that has worked for about a year now. But I also bought a replacement lid on eBay that I'm saving for when they break again.
To prevent them from breaking NEVER use any force either to open a lid that you think is stuck or to close one that won't latch. I used to carry and use the remote all the time and found that with the lid open I would accidently press the lock button on the remote. Then I would close the lid and the latches would hit the closed lock bar.
Any unusual force applied to those latches will break those nipples off.

·
Registered
826 Posts
What I suspect caused mine to break is the screws get loose and the striker rods are hanging like loose teeth. Then when you close the trunk, they flop into the latch and eventually wind up missing the hole and the boss snaps. Everytime you remove the inner trunk linner, the plastic threads loose a bit of their grip. Can't use locktite on the plastic so you are constantly tightening them. Recently checked two other bikes and theirs were loose too. I tried putting a dab of silicone on the head, thinking the screw was actually viberating and rotating out. When they still came out and the heads were still stuck I decided they were jumping threads. JB Weld will hold them in but if you ever have to remove the liner, you will remove what threads are left with them. I did try teflon tape and thread dope that slowed the process down but eventually it to failed.

·
Registered
21,049 Posts
Ellary said:
I used JB Weld and that has worked for about a year now. But I also bought a replacement lid on eBay that I'm saving for when they break again.
To prevent them from breaking NEVER use any force either to open a lid that you think is stuck or to close one that won't latch. I used to carry and use the remote all the time and found that with the lid open I would accidently press the lock button on the remote. Then I would close the lid and the latches would hit the closed lock bar.
Any unusual force applied to those latches will break those nipples off.
well that explains how they get broken and why mine havn't broke, i have never used the remote

i sure would b asking about warranty

·
Registered
289 Posts
Lid fix

Has anyone had luck in doing the following?

Tightly wrap screw threads with a single layer of teflon tape. ( Observe correct direction for wrap to right hand turn of screw.)

Fill the threaded hole with JB Weld and twist the screw in. ( Be carefull to keep teflon on screw threads.) Let J.B. Weld harden.

Hopefully the JB Weld will harden to new threads. The teflon should allow the screw to be removed if needed.

BTW: J.B. Weld Quick is thicker to work with and hardens faster.

·
Registered
15 Posts
trunk lid latch

Rastoff,s suggestion dated Sept 4 is the way to go.I did it with both sides .However,I would add that since the inner cover to which you are going to bolt the latch "toungues " is made of weaker plastic,I did reinforce the ribs around that area with JB weld.When closing the lid ,be gentle so that you put the least stress possible on the inner plastic cover.If the screws you use interfere with the broken part in the outer lid,grind them down for clearance with a dremel tool.Use screws with the flatest head possible and place the head against the outer lid and the nut right agaist the tongues tightening them from the inside of the trunk side.Good luck.I have heaqrd of this problem with trunks to which spoilers and racks have been installed.Apparently the weight on the trunk is a debilitating factor.Good luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts