GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help us find the items stolen from here on Weiss Lake a week or so ago.
The trailer and trike pictured below belong to a good friend of mine. The bike pictures
were made during our annual Christmas For the Elderly Fundraiser...
Other items in the trailer were the Kipor generator, lots of clothing items and some cash...
The trailer is easy to identify as it has a roll out awning on the side away from the door...

More info:
A friend of mine arrived home today to find her Goldwing trike and utility box trailer stolen. Here is a pic of both. She has a place here on the lake (Northeast Alabama) and she had not been here since July 22nd. The neighbors only assumed that she had got the trailer herself and noticed it gone about 7-10 days ago. No telling where it could be now. It had several other items in the trailer that she can definitely identify. Also the one thing that stands out about the trailer is that she had an awning installed about 2 years ago, and the company that did this put the awning on the wrong side of the trailer, (not on the side of the door). The bike is a 2000 goldwing with Leman trike kit, mileage in the 20,000.

To contact us: mailto:[email protected]

These items were all stolen from NE Alabama, but could be almost anywhere
in the country by now.

Here is a pic of the backside of the trailer with the awning attached...

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
That really stinks! I will keep my eyes open in my travels!

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
...the one thing that stands out about the trailer is that she had an awning installed about 2 years ago, and the company that did this put the awning on the wrong side of the trailer, (not on the side of the door). ....
Installing the awning on the side with the door would have meant you couldn't open the door with the awning extended. There is not enough clearance above the door, and the top corner of the door would have ripped the awning fabric. Therefore, the awning is indeed on the 'correct side'.

However, I suspect that very few trailers of that type would have any awning at all, so that would still be something to narrow the search for the missing trailer.

If the trike and trailer cannot be recovered, I hope the insurance will cover most of her loss.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I hope they get the SOB.

·
Registered
850 Posts
I will keep a eye out.

That is wrong.
Your right since it was stolen from Weiss lake, it could be anywhere now. Lots a of folks camp and fish there.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
FYI on the awning. You can put them on the side with the door, and that is where it usually goes. If there is a clearance problem, then the installer can easily put a roller on the outer edge of the door that will insure the door doesn't rip the awning. Some doors may be just too tall but this one looks good to go. Had awnings on a couple trailers and they were on the door side with no problems.

Hope the owner finds the trike and trailer. Hope it was insured.

Wonder if Google streetview had a pic of the trailer in it? I hear crooks are using this more and more to scout locations. I understand you can request that your picture be taken off streetview.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Sorry to hear about the theft, I hope they recover the bike and trailer and lock the looser up!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Installing the awning on the side with the door would have meant you couldn't open the door with the awning extended. There is not enough clearance above the door, and the top corner of the door would have ripped the awning fabric. Therefore, the awning is indeed on the 'correct side'.

However, I suspect that very few trailers of that type would have any awning at all, so that would still be something to narrow the search for the missing trailer.

If the trike and trailer cannot be recovered, I hope the insurance will cover most of her loss.
Not a factor if Door open before Awning exstended.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Not a factor if Door open before Awning exstended.
Wrong. With the door fully open it would interfere with the awning's side support and the awning cannot be lowered. (Notice that the door swings toward the front of the trailer and into the path of the awning's side support)

Since there is so little room available above the door on this utility trailer, I understand why the awning was installed on the opposite side.

Anyway, another free bump back to the top. I haven't heard any updates, but I hope they get the bad guys!

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
There are other options for a trailer like this, they could have put a shorter awning on the door side.

But with a roller on the corner of the door, and the awning all the way up, they could still open the door and tie or clip it to the awning structure if still attached to the bottom portion of the trailer, or they could take the lower struts and as designed, use them as uprights on the outer corners leaving the sides open for people and doors.

I do understand why they put it on the other side though, it is still a useful awning, but on a rainy day, having one on the door side is the best solution.

Hope they get their rig back. This is happening a lot. Major racing events, and car shows have been struck many times recently. That is why if I trailer stuff, I don't put stickers all over it and make it look as plain and cheap as possible.!

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,542 Posts
If I understand this right, the trike was inside the trailer and the thief may not even know he had it until he stopped running with the trailer. This sucks, I'll keep my eyes open for it also.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Wings are being stolen just like any other bike because of EBAY, people can sell parts off the bike and never have to open a store front just look at how many parts are for sale now by typing in GL1800 on Ebay. I had a bad habit of not taking my key out of the bike sometimes when I stopped and a friend of mine kept comenting on that so I always do now.
all the years I rode the BMW's I never took the key out and never had one stolen but times are different now and everything becomes stealable, I will keep my eye out up this way also.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts