GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to send out oil samples from a few of my vehicles. I would like to use a lab that isn't associated with any oil companies just to insure that they are impartial.

I found these guys.

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

Has anyone used them? Opinions?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Just to be curious, why do you want to do that? Are you micro-managing your oil and filter or just doing some research.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Oil analysis is a great way to stay on top of your engine condition. If it starts going south, you will essentially be able to head 'em off at the pass and save lots of money.

David M.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Aircraft mechanics can usually answer this question. If you know one locally........they may be able to refer you to someone locally. Call the local small airport....or stop by and shoot the bull with someone.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
GL1800........ I just noticed you are only 15 miles from Eggenfellner aircraft. this guy sends out tons of oil samples, at least he used to. if anybody call tell you if there is someone local..........this guy can. Call them up.

Jan Eggenfellner
735 Airpark Road Hangar A5,
Edgewater, Florida 32132
(386) 566-2616 [email protected]

http://www.eggenfellneraircraft.com/

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
I use Blackstone every month. They are very nice. I deal with a lady there named Kristen. I think she is the owners daughter. Do you understand the full reason why you do this? If not I will explain it in laymans terms as best I can.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Spendig 17 years doing this in the Air Force, you first need a base line, when the engine is new or newly rebuilt. Outside of that you are left in the dark on trend anaylsis. Change the oil regularly, what else is there to say, its a honda gold wing....... Find other bikes out there with 200+ thousand miles and still kicking Have faith and save you money for trips....

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the responses.
Is Blackstone Labs affiliated with any oil company?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Please go to: www.caterpillar.com and look for SOS oil analysis. You can purchase their oil kit at most any heavy duty truck dealer for ~$14.00 and get excellent results. I've been using these CAT oil reports for more than six years and find the information that they provide to be most useful.
Hope this helps in your decision making process!

·
Registered
129 Posts
I just take mine to the nearest tractor dealer. CAT, JD, Most big truck repair places have oil sample service as well.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Forgive my ignorance but......

when I drove truck over the summers, they would analyze engine oil to see if the oil had "broken down" and was in need of a change....I was told the test was cheaper than doing an oil change on a large diesel engine...they would go considerable distances between changes and the engines would last over 500,000 miles

On a motorcycle what is the benefit?

If it is to diagnos or track potential engine problems, what problems are you looking for? Examples?

And of those examples, what can you do about them that you couldn't have done without analyzing your engine oil?

It seem to me much ado about nothing. Modern engines, especially this Goldwing engine will go well over 100,000 miles with minimal care and feeding...as long as there is nitrogen in the tires and you change the crush washer regularly.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
NJRef,

I just like to spend money that's all. Just kidding, actually I've been changing oil at 4k on this bike and went to 8k this time and wanted to see if the oil I used is still providing adequate protection at this longer interval. I'm sure everything will be OK just figured I could spend less than $20 and sleep good at night.

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
I have used Caterpillar's SOS program on all of my fleet vehicles and off road equipment for years, so I naturaly use them for my GL oil sampling.
I have never gotten a bad sample on my wing, but whenever there is any question about a sample on any of my equipment, I get an imediate phone call, an email alert and a fax copy of the lab report.
Highly recomended.

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
NJREF said:
Forgive my ignorance but......

when I drove truck over the summers, they would analyze engine oil to see if the oil had "broken down" and was in need of a change....I was told the test was cheaper than doing an oil change on a large diesel engine...they would go considerable distances between changes and the engines would last over 500,000 miles

On a motorcycle what is the benefit?

If it is to diagnos or track potential engine problems, what problems are you looking for? Examples?

And of those examples, what can you do about them that you couldn't have done without analyzing your engine oil?

It seem to me much ado about nothing. Modern engines, especially this Goldwing engine will go well over 100,000 miles with minimal care and feeding...as long as there is nitrogen in the tires and you change the crush washer regularly.
Oil sampling can show a number of potential problems. It can alert you to external problems such as leaks in the air inlet system or failure of the air filter itself, that will show high silicon in the sample.
Water contamination from condensation or glycol from internal coolant leaks. Fuel dilution from an injection problem.
And of course monitoring of wear trends to help in deterning the overall condition of your engine and gear train.
If you head off one problem, the sampling is worthwhile.
It also creates a permanent record of your service history.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts