GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have GL1800 2003 with 5,000 miles.
When I slow down speed with my both hands off handle bar, the bar starts wobbling at 40miles. It is very mild when it starts so it will not happen when my hands are on the bar. It gets stronger if I keep slowing down with my hands off the bar. It happens only at slowing down but will not happen when accelerating or constant speed. Can somebody tell me what is happening? Do I need more that balancing the wheel?

Mark, Houston TX

·
Registered
464 Posts
Both of the Goldwings I've owned had that wobble. My current 2001 GL1800 and my 84 GL1200. Many many threads about it with guesses from new tires, tire pressure, fork braces, new fork springs, aftermarket steering head bearings... and the list goes on.. and on... and on...

Personally I've tried all of the inexpensive stuff like fork brace, tire pressure and adjusting the ride height all the way up and all the way down. I find it wobbles less with the ride set at 25 for me on my 01. Your results will probably vary.

Personally.. I keep both hands on the bars when driving about 40 mph.

I've also heard from some Harley riders that all bike have a wobble at some speed. I can't verfy that. But you are not alone. I'd be willing to bet you'd be hard pressed to find a Goldwing owner that has not experienced it to some degree at one time or another.

I firmly beleive that the Goldwing is the best motorcycle money can buy but it is not without some defects.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Do a search for wobble. Some feel it is the rear tire others the head bearings others recommend a fork brace. All of these things have worked for some people and all of them have failed to work for others. I have had an 02 and an 06 and neither had the wobble. The wobble in itself is no more dangerous than taking your hands off the bars when decelerating. The easiest fix is to keep at least one hand on the bars and don't think about it.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Do a search for wobble.

He forgot to tell you to pack a lunch, because you'll find many pages on the subject, and I know you'll get hungry while reading all the info on the wobble subject.

I had the dreaded wobble once when I changed tires from OE to Metzlers, wore them out and put on Avons, no more wobble. Some say steering head bearings, others say air pressure, etc, etc. I personally always thought it was the tires, and in my particular case it was the tires.

Good luck and I hope you find the fix you need soon.:cool:

·
Registered
809 Posts
The torque on the steering head needs to be checked first.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
One option -- don't take the hands off the handlebars--they are acting as a damper!

Above answers right on. Nature of the beast for this low-speed wobble, but the changes indicated can make a difference -- the all-balls did it for me.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I have GL1800 2003 with 5,000 miles.
When I slow down speed with my both hands off handle bar, the bar starts wobbling at 40miles. It is very mild when it starts so it will not happen when my hands are on the bar. It gets stronger if I keep slowing down with my hands off the bar. It happens only at slowing down but will not happen when accelerating or constant speed. Can somebody tell me what is happening? Do I need more that balancing the wheel?

Mark, Houston TX
Put your darn hands back on the bars, it is physics my friend, do a search for the "wobble" and you will get more junk than you can read, it boils down to the "size", "rake" and other factors, you can mask it by changing the stem bearings to "all BAlls" or just keep your hands on the bars, if you have ever watched the movie the Worlds Fastest Indian Anthony Hopkins tell you why this happens, it is at speed and not decell but it is the same principal.JMHO

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
wobble

Put your darn hands back on the bars, it is physics my friend, do a search for the "wobble" and you will get more junk than you can read, it boils down to the "size", "rake" and other factors, you can mask it by changing the stem bearings to "all BAlls" or just keep your hands on the bars, if you have ever watched the movie the Worlds Fastest Indian Anthony Hopkins tell you why this happens, it is at speed and not decell but it is the same principal.JMHO
I just had new bushings and seals in forks ride is better but wobble is worst I was wondering if oil was not put back to specs or not equell amounts .????2001 with 61,000 miles.
Jack from ca.

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
:flg:.

Most people with a GL-1800 that has 5000 miles on the tires is going to have a decel wobble. Just the nature of the beast. Many dollars have been spent on the famous cures. Many dollars have been wasted on the famous cures. One time the cure will work for a while, then the next time it just makes things worse.

All motorcycles have a spot where the frame/tire feedback phasing becomes in phase and it will start a positive feedback .. Some are at very high speeds, where you have uncontrallable tank slappers.

The Goldwing has weights in the bars and it is designed to wobble between 40 and 30 and can be stopped by the application of one hand on one handlbe bar.

I have over 220,000 miles on my bike. One time, and one time only has it gone all the way through a set of tires with zero wobble, and that was with a 709 on the front.

Now I run a CT on the back, no wobble but I only have 13,000 miles on the CT so don't know what to expect. But I do feel safe and confident that when it does occur, I can just grab the handlbar and it will stop. Sure is a safety feature in my book !!

JMHO :cool:

:flg:

·
Florida Moderator
4,616 Posts
I have an 08, so does my brother and friend. All three have the decel wobble with the OEM Dunlop D250 tires. I replaced my tires about three weeks ago and went with the Bridgestone G704/709 combo. The bike is smoother, has better traction, and the wobble is GONE.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Well conversely, I bought my 06 new with the Dunlop 250's. I had no wobble. I added the Traxxion and All Balls bearings up front. No wobble. Second set were Metz's......no wobble! Third set were again Metz's.....BAM......wobble after a short time on those. I personally feel it is in or most often in the tires. I don't sweat it.....I just keep my hands on the bars. Your next set of tires may remedy it!

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Easy explantion, same thing affects 88.2% of the members of this board. There's a nut loose behind the handlebars. I'm in the 88.2 %.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts