GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At 20975 I got her Done. Changed the plugs. Here's a pic of the old ones. Gotta love that HF MC jack, didn't have to crawl around on the floor.

My chrome side cover, OEM or not?

The hiding place.

·
Registered
91 Posts
How did you get out the rubber/plastic plug in the valve cover screws without damaging/deforming them?

·
Registered
464 Posts
Lil pete I just picked at them with my finger nail and they poped right out.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
How did you get out the rubber/plastic plug in the valve cover screws without damaging/deforming them?
I use a push pin thumb tack, pop them babies right out! :thumbup:

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Chrome covers covers are Kuryakyn stick on. Those little buggers are hard to get back in the little hex holes..... gotta get 'em all spit on.

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
Hmmmmmm. A three cylinder GL1800?

prs

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I used an ice pick to get the little rubber plugs out.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeap, but that's OK I needed to get in there and clean some chrome you can't get to when it's all together. Spent about three hours changing the plugs and cleaning things up. Also put anti seize compound between the mating parts of the highway pegs so as not to mar the chrome on the engine guards.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Yeap, but that's OK I needed to get in there and clean some chrome you can't get to when it's all together. Spent about three hours changing the plugs and cleaning things up. Also put anti seize compound between the mating parts of the highway pegs so as not to mar the chrome on the engine guards.
Thanks. Sounds like a job for a warmer day:lol:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Steve, I read your comment that you put anti-seize on the foot peg clamps. You might want to clean that off. The foot peg clamps may turn on the bars with the pressure of your feet.

·
Registered
442 Posts
If you damage or loose one of those little rubber inserts they are expensive to replace for what you get. The alternative is a dab of black silicone in the allen hole and smooth it off and it looks like the original $5.00 plug. The GL1500 would lose them from time to time. Works well on the head of some of the Foot Peg bolts as well and helps to retard rust spots forming inside the hex from the allen wrench.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Steve, I read your comment that you put anti-seize on the foot peg clamps. You might want to clean that off. The foot peg clamps may turn on the bars with the pressure of your feet.
The highway pegs I have are Kury (4056) and have stops underneath that will not let the pegs twist. You get a little anti seize compound with the kit.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Next time you're at the dentist, ask the hygienist for a few dental picks...they work great for this, and as permanent toothpicks. Dentists discard their tools on a regular basis, and are usually more than happy to give them to you. I also have a number of mirrors on stems that may be too scratched for dental use, but are just dandy for looking at those hard to reach areas, like inspecting welds. They also have a supply of small syringes, good for spot oiling, and you can score old dental drills which hook up just fine in a dremel.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Next time you're at the dentist, ask the hygienist for a few dental picks...they work great for this, and as permanent toothpicks. Dentists discard their tools on a regular basis, and are usually more than happy to give them to you. I also have a number of mirrors on stems that may be too scratched for dental use, but are just dandy for looking at those hard to reach areas, like inspecting welds. They also have a supply of small syringes, good for spot oiling, and you can score old dental drills which hook up just fine in a dremel.
Cool.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
For those that don't have a nice dentist, Stanley Tools has a very nice "Hook & Pick" set very reasonably priced. I found mine at WalMart for around $5 I believe. It's amazing how many times they have come to the rescue. :lol:
http://stanleytools.com/default.asp...NUMBER=78-393&SDesc=4+Piece+Hook+and+Pick+Set

1 - 20 of 32 Posts