GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellows,

I just ran over a small nail with my Kumho RF. I m getting ready for a 6000 mile trip so I plugged it. Do you think this fix will hold up? Really dont want buy another tire, only have about 1000 miles on this one.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Personally, I would take it off and have it patched on the inside.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
I would patch it on the inside and run it..

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
I ran my Hankook Ventus non run flat for 12,000 miles with a rope plug in it, and it never leaked a pound of air! You have to do what you are comfortable with!:thumbup:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input, Im kinda leaning toward the patch too, but just dont want to go through all the work, now that bike is cleaned, packed and ready for the trip.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Hey fellows,

I just ran over a small nail with my Kumho RF. I m getting ready for a 6000 mile trip so I plugged it. Do you think this fix will hold up? Really dont want buy another tire, only have about 1000 miles on this one.

Did you plug a small hole with a rope plug?

Did you apply the rubber cement to the plug so that it seals from the inside?

I plugged a Dunlap OEM 250 with a rope plug and air got between the tire plies and started a delaminization.

Better to patch from the inside IMO.

:thumbup:

S

·
0 Posts
Hey fellows,

I plugged the last one and just like my car tires, it was fine. I just installed a new tire and picked up a nail almost immediately. It is now plugged will will go another 45k with this plug in place.
The very worst thing that could happen is a slow leak. The tire will not explode into flame like in the movies. It's no different than what is done on a car, just plug and forget.

·
Registered
162 Posts
When I first switched to car tires I ran over some road debris and got a puncture in the Conti Pro I was using. Took 2 rope plugs to stop the leak but I put another 8,000 mile on it with no problem. Still had half its tread left when I switched over to a Kuhmo.

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
A rope plug and plenty of rubber cement to vulcanize it to the tire will last the life of the tire. I have patched plenty of tires on my work trucks that way and never had one fail. Some have had two or three plugs in them from nails picked up on construction sites and they hold 65psi. Installed properly they become part of the tire.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
:agree::agree:

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
I've plugged a few tires over the years for my own use, never had one fail, I've run tires with more than one plug with no problems.

Worked at a gas station when I was a kid and plugged a lot of tires, and never had anyone come back with a leaking plug.

·
Registered
39 Posts
First Nail; here's hoping

Well, my first CT (Kumho Ecsta) developed a slow leak a few weeks ago. Kept thinking I'd get the wheel off and take it to Stuff*Mart Automotive to get them to look at it (as I'd never managed to see anything in it; see below note on Spare Parts and Better Working Of Eyes).

Had time this afternoon. Me, Navigator, and Spare Parts were all outside cooperating (the Spare Parts love motorcycle rides). Pumped the tire up, with a bucket of soapy water handy to spot bubbles, but it wasn't needed. "Daddy!" said Spare Part One, whose ears work far better than mine, "I hear it!" He looked (his eyes work better than mine, too) and pointed me to a nail. MY FIRST NAIL. I was actually going to save it, but I set it on the rear bumper and forgot about it; now it's part of the yard. *sigh*

Patched a car wheel for the first time. Hope the thing holds air overnight, 'cause that test ride sure felt nice. I've driven miles and years on patched car tires on a car, so on a bike doesn't bother me. But I'm giving serious consideration to a jug of RideOn, too (the Slime version of which has worked marvels on the car's car tires but isn't guaranteed as long).

Wish me luck.

Davey
DS 768

1 - 13 of 13 Posts