GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I the only one on this board that has this problem????? When I plug my Ipod into the glove box power source and then plug in the "aux" plug,,, I don't have any problems for several hours,, then the "low battery" hooter-do starts flashing :22yikes:and the I-pod quits until I bring it into the house and plug it into the computer and re-charge it. :clap2: After it's re-charged,,, I'll plug it back in the ol glove box and I'm good to go again for several hours. When I leave it plugged in,,, when I shut of the machine I have to physically reach in and turn off the Ipod. But when I start it back up,,, the Ipod starts automatically.... Go figure... Is it :eek:4:possessed?????:shrug: or is this standard operating procedure????? Why won't the thing-a-mabob keep it charged while the ol girl is running????? Any suggestions :chat:would be greatly appreciated.... Al :yes::yes::yes:

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What model and generation Ipod are you using? Apple made a change to how the new models charge. They no longer will charge off of 12 volts. You have to use a different charger and cable that supplies USB charging power (5 volts).
Fred,,, thank you for the quick response (and by the way I love your how to web site,,,, I made my gas key/knob thingy from your site). I'm running a "Creative, ZEN V Plus" Ipod,,, are you saying I should research the manual and see what voltage I should be charging???? If it is like Apple,,, do they make a voltage "reducer" for a USB/cigarette lighter cord??? Still confused Al :yes::yes::yes: But I am a "seasoned member" just look to your left and below my name it says so.....

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have no knowledge of the Creative Zen player. I thought you were talking about an Apple Ipod. You're mixing Apples and Oranges.
Fred,,, you are quick to respond,,, sorry I didn't know that Ipod was an "apple thing",,, I guess that I should have called it an "mp3 player",,, my mistake.... I'll look at the manual and see what it says about outside power sources... Thank you Fred for the input.... Al :yes::yes::yes:

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
ebay sells 12 volt car chargers for about everything

we just got a car charger, house charger,and a retractable usb cord, for lauras ipod nano

the usb plugs into both the house and car outlets

$5 shipped

similar deals for other models

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Loren,,, I'll look into that as well..... That's why I love this board...
Al :yes::yes::yes:

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
If it's plugged into a power port in the pocket it should be charging all the time the bike is running. My friends never turn their IPODS off when they stop because once they start the bike it charges again.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If it's plugged into a power port in the pocket it should be charging all the time the bike is running. My friends never turn their IPODS off when they stop because once they start the bike it charges again.
Yeah,,,, that's the way I thought that it's supposed to work,,,, but mine doesn't.... It's weird because the "mp3 player" starts automatically when I turn on the key,,,,, so it has to be getting juice into it,,, but it apparently does not charge because it goes dead after several hours..... Al :yes::yes::yes:

·
Registered
19,068 Posts
My $49 Ipod Shuffle has about 6-8 hours play time
MAybe your model has batteries that just don't last as long

·
Registered
610 Posts
I have the Apple "Touch" ipod, that I keep plugged into the outlet in the pocket. At first, I had problems with the battery on it running down while I was riding. What I found was that the power plug would vibrate out of the power socket, when I rode. I now put two packs of gum and my cell phone in there, to keep the plug wedged into the power socket.
When I am riding, I do not turn off the ipod. It will keep on playing, even when I get off to go fuel up or get something to eat. Of course with the Wing shut off, it does not play through the speakers, until the key is turned back on.
At the end of the day, I unplug the ipod and turn it off. It is always ready for the next trip, as soon as I plug it back in and turn it on. What has been drained from sitting (which is very little), will recharge quickly.

Check your plug and see if it is putting out any voltage to charge your MP3 player. Then again, it might be vibrating loose like mine was.
Good luck.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Yeah,,,, that's the way I thought that it's supposed to work,,,, but mine doesn't.... It's weird because the "mp3 player" starts automatically when I turn on the key,,,,, so it has to be getting juice into it,,, but it apparently does not charge because it goes dead after several hours..... Al :yes::yes::yes:
Al, here is how my ZEN acts:

My ZEN powers up when plugged into a external power source. My ZEN does NOT shut down when removed from an external power source. I have to manually shut it down. My ZEN charges the battery while plugged in and the bike is running, when the bike is off the mp3 player uses it's battery unless I manually turn it off after shutting down the bike.

I think you can change the start-up and shut down behavior in the setup menus.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Excuse my ignorance but is there something to plug an ipod into on a stock 2006 Goldwing? I have a little plug that goes into the headphone port on the ipod, but I didn't know there was a place for a charger as well. That would make life a lot easier for me if there is a way to charge it in the left pocket while riding.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Excuse my ignorance but is there something to plug an ipod into on a stock 2006 Goldwing? I have a little plug that goes into the headphone port on the ipod, but I didn't know there was a place for a charger as well. That would make life a lot easier for me if there is a way to charge it in the left pocket while riding.
You can add a 12v socket in the pocket if you care to.I think EC sells them for about 14 bucks or so.Plug and play!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes,,, my ZEN stays plugged in while I'm riding as I check it often and the little red light on the "cigarette" lighter plug stays illuminated. That's why I can't figure out why the thing "runs down" LA_Ken,,, mine does the same thing as far as me having to manually turn it off at the end of the ride... Tommy Black Shark,, when I bought my 07 it had the socket in the left fairing pocket,,, but I think that that was a dealer "add on".... I'm going to take Fred's advise and research the voltage issue as soon as I get a chance,,,, and I'll post an update as to what is revealed,,, or if I can resolve the problem so that others can benefit.... Al :yes::yes::yes: a "seasoned member".........

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
By the way,,, LA KEN,,, I hate to ask this because I know that the answer is going to PI-- me off,,, but what is the temperature down there anyway???? In the winter time,,, I hate you people down there.....
Al :yes::yes::yes:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts