GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, this is NOT a question for the southern riders that can ride year around...........&*$)@%$# :cus:

For the riders that wintize, how do you spend your winters while waiting for spring?
(Besides spending it here)

Ice Fish?
Snowmobile?
Hunt?
Hobby's?
Sex? (oops!)

·
Registered
682 Posts
This is my second winter with the wing in the garage. Will add a few things, do my oil and filter change and tackle the rear differential lube/change, etc... Check up on this board regularly, do some snow shoeing, work on our cottage, check the Norwood and Logosol sawmill web pages and shovel, shovel, shovel! :roll:

See ya in the spring.

Bill

·
Registered
849 Posts
New paint for a new bike :D

That is the plan but it is hard to come up with a paint scheme on this bike. Flames don't quite fit.

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
Tony in AZ said:
man I do relate .......... I have to shovel sunshine here

:wink: :wink:
:p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
This would be the perfect opportunity to spend some quality time with your GW. Give it the care that you didn't have time to do during the nice riding weather.

The really, really good detailing of the bike.
Any accessories that you were thinking of, like freeway pegs?
At least an oil & filter change. Get that rear end oil too.
A good time to do your own air filter replacement, if you are experienced or brave.
You can remove the rear wheel, clean it up and get the tire replaced if needed.

Use your imagination.

You might encounter an opportunity to take it out when it gets unseasonably warm, for a few hours.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Use to go out and shovel the lake off and play hockey in michigan or I got the dirt bike out and ice raced. Played hockey in colorado too. Got too old to play hockey so I moved to Nevada. Sorry guys, I got tired of snow and moved.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
:shock: :wink:

I got the bonus today 32 miles to one worksite and then back to my usual place to hangout goin' the extra long way so that was 105 miles before 0900 !!!!! :yes: :yes:
This weekend it'll be hittin' the backroads headin' for some BBQ someplace in the middle of no where and I'll be thinkin' of all y'all winterized folks for at least 10 seconds while I'm smilin' bigger than $hit!!!! :yes: :wink: :lol:

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Go for a ride.

Put on my Gerbing's liner, turned the heat up to 3/4 and rode 150 total miles yesterday to Dubuque for lunch, then to Galena for a case of Galena Cellars wine (for when the snows prevents such escapes) and then rode the not-so-straight Jo Daviess County roads home to Freeport. Themometer was around 37 - 39 for most of the ride.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Man, oh man, we have some heck of a brotherhood here. It seems as though as long as it's okay for me, to hell with everyone else.
Where is the emotional support of the brotherhood? For the northern riders suffering from PMS, what I see here is how you southerners gloat about your riding all year long, then you rub it in the face of the northern riders. What's up with that?
If a weather related disaster were to happen to the southern riders as it has many times in the past, the first thing you seek is support from the GL forum.
How about being a bit more considerate to the sufferers of PMS in the winter time? Instead of throwing it into their faces when the PMS sufferers can't ride, by telling them all about your wonderful, warm and cozy rides you take.
Remember, "do unto others as you'd want others to do unto you!"

Ride safely,

Mike T.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Wi_Winger said:
Ok, this is NOT a question for the southern riders that can ride year around...........&*$)@%$# :cus:

For the riders that wintize, how do you spend your winters while waiting for spring?
Snowmobiling and planning bike upgrades and next season's trips.

·
Registered
21,133 Posts
Wi_Winger said:

Ice Fish?
Snowmobile?
Hunt?
Hobby's?
Sex? (oops!)
i have riden year round for the past 68 months, looks like its going to b another mild winter around here so i will just keep riding

·
Registered
455 Posts
Winter Riding

I go with the flow. A few winters ago we had a mild winter and I rode my vtx (no windshield) quite a bit. When we get lots of snow I'll go skiing. When the snow has packed down I'll hike the mountain trails. A big thankyou to the backcountry skiers and snowshoers who do the packing. When the surf is up I go surfing at The Wall in Hampton Beach, NH. Yes, it gets cold in 40 degree water. No one has developed an effective electric heating system for us surfers. Maybe I'll use put batteries in the surfboard and instead of using a leash, attach an extension cord.
Maybe you could use the Battery Tender to charge both the Wing and the longboard!
8)

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
8)

Hey I wouldn't wish bad weather on any of y'all, I'd just shift to tracks with skis or a quad runner versus the 2 wheeled machine of good weather. I only miss snow when I watch snowmobile racin' on the SPEED channel.
Take whatever God gives ya to work with and have some fun, that's my take on it. That's another reason I always loved jumpin' outta airplanes. :wink: :lol:

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
cycledude said:
i have riden year round for the past 68 months, looks like its going to b another mild winter around here so i will just keep riding
I've only missed one month of riding since May, 1998. I can't remember which year, but it was a December and it snowed about every second or third day for the entire month. The streets never did clear off enough to ride. That's only missing 1 month in about 100.

Other than that, things have been good. :p

I usually tear the bike down about the third week of January and perform all the maintenance that can reasonably be done at that time. Then, it is ready to ride for the entire season.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Wi_Winger said:
[quote="Tony in AZ":3c01z02z]man I do relate .......... I have to shovel sunshine here

:wink: :wink:
CUT IT OUT, TONY[/quote:3c01z02z]
Give Tony a break. He's suffering from HEAT STROKE! :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
229 Posts
I winterized the Wing yesterday. I set the Windbender two notches higher. :D Is there anything else I should do? :wink:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts