GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember seeing a fix for the mechanism that opens the pocket lids. The mechanism is not opening the lid as it should when the latch is released. I have to pull them open against the ratchet. :(

I have searched and don't see the fix anywhere. Anyone remember where the fix is or what it was :?: :?:

Thanks in advance. :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hey Fuzzy I fixed mine without removing the pocket, used a narrow blade screw driver. Thanks to the person who put this on the boards.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Whaaaatt?

You mean they are not supposed to open partially and then have to be hand opened against the ratchet?? :oops: I thought this was on purpose to stop the little doors from swinging open too hard or something.

I am dumbfounded! How should they behave, and what is the fix? :?:

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Deadeye,

They are actually supposed to open in a smooth motion when you unlatch them. Almost like one of those hydraulic or gas struts would act.

I bent the little tabs per the posted by LeRoy and sure enough, smooth as can be. Very simple, took about a minute to do both sides. :D

Thanks again LeRoy.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
my goodness, that tip made mine work like they should. i figured it was supposed to be that way also.

and better yet i didnt break anything

loren

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
Re: Whaaaatt?

Deadeye-USMV said:
You mean they are not supposed to open partially and then have to be hand opened against the ratchet??
I wonder how many others thought that this was the way they were supposed to behave???

·
Registered
533 Posts
Brrrrrr

Well, I "fixed" my left pocket lid yesterday afternoon, in 18°. I use that pocket for my iPod and reading glasses, so I am in and out of it a lot.

However, I still am not sure that it the fix is really a fix, but is more of a change. In other words, I still think the click/stops were by design, not that it really matters.

My hands have now pretty much regained their feel. Fifteen minutes of uncovering the Wing and diddling the lid nearly gave me frostbite. I think I will leave the right side as is. :arrow:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Old ice picks?

Tater, the one thing I learned from my pappy was that an ice pick is a handy tool to keep in the box. Mine's probably 35 years old. :lol:

·
Registered
533 Posts
Reminiscing about Picks

I too, used the real McCoy for this adjustment, just like the one in a earlier post. Mine was a Valley Ice Delivery Co. pick from the days when phone numbers had only 5 digits. In this case, their number was 40133; maybe I should give them a ring.

When I was growing up in Youngstown Ohio we had 5 digits, but there was a name in front of it, in our case Sterling 28823. This required a phone with letters on it for the ST.:phone2:

So this ice pick pre-dates me, so that puts it at least in the 30's or early 40s. It has two slogans on it: "Cold Alone Is Not Enough" and "3 Way Food Protection". I have no idea......

Now my grandkids think that ICE comes out of the refrigerator instead of going into it. :hun1:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts